Thread: getting pics off my motorola razr v3c

Feedback Score

getting pics off my motorola razr v3c

Hi,

I'm trying to transfer the pictures on my motorola razr v3c to my pc. I've managed to get most of them off via picture messaging however I have several pics that are over 300kb and virgin mobile which is my service provider has a 300kb size limit when pic messaging. How would I be able to get these pics off? I don't believe this phone has any settings to reformat the size. I've tried bluetooth and it doesn't seem to work. As well, I don't think the motorola phone tools software is compatible with the v3c at least not for transferring pictures.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Phones
    SGH-T889V Galaxy Note II
    Previous phones: SCH-n370, SCH-m510, SGH-T746 Impact, GT-S5660M Galaxy Gio, GT-I9020A Nexus S
    Carriers
    Koodo
    Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada (previous)
    Feedback Score
    Caveat: I'm not familiar with this specific phone, so this bit of advice is going to be a bit generic...

I've found Bluetooth on a PC to be fickle even in the best of times. Depends on the Bluetooth stack used and your adapter.

Do you have an USB cable? From the pics I could find, your phone uses a common and standard mini-USB cable, like you probably already have from some digital camera, small external hard drive, or PS3 to charge your controller.

When you connect the phone to your computer, either somewhere in the settings, or a prompt on connection, select "Mass Storage Mode" (or some similar name) then open your Windows Explorer/Mac Finder. Your phone should now have its own drive letter, there should have a folder named DCIM then other folders which contain your images.

Good luck,

Louis

Feedback Score
    Hi Louis,

I do have a usb cord that came with the phone but when I connect it with my pc it is not recognized. I believe I would need to install a driver as well as the motorola phone tools software to get the pc connecting with the phone. However, when I look at the features for the software it is not able to transfer pictures for the v3c. It can only sync sms and contacts. I was told the only way to get them off is to do some hacking however I'm not very tech savvy so I really don't know what to do at this point. Thanks anyway for the advice.

Phones
    SGH-T889V Galaxy Note II
    Previous phones: SCH-n370, SCH-m510, SGH-T746 Impact, GT-S5660M Galaxy Gio, GT-I9020A Nexus S
    Carriers
    Koodo
    Bell Mobility and Virgin Mobile Canada (previous)
    Feedback Score
    Don't look for "sync" or "picture transfer" that's not what you really want (keep reading). Currently, your phone is set to connect via USB, probably in a serial port mode, to interface it with whatever programs Motorola uses. This requires some specific drivers, which are likely floating somewhere out there.

What you want, if your phone's firmware (its internal software) allows it already, is to set the phone in a USB mode called "Mass Storage". This profile is the same, universal one used by every USB key and hard drive you've seen. It works with just about every modern OS, and many not so modern ones. It should in the case of your phone, give you access to a part of its file system, notably the part containing your pictures.

If, as carriers all too often do in their infinite wisdom, your firmware has been crippled...

Quote Originally Posted by AT1 View Post
    I was told the only way to get them off is to do some hacking however I'm not very tech savvy so I really don't know what to do at this point.
    Then get hacking! If you're willing to put in a bit (or lots, you can never tell in advance...) of time, some quick searching shows this phone series was quite popular and modifiable.

One expression that caught my attention is "seem edit" these seem to contain a lot, if not all of your phone's settings. It's a Motorola thing, and circumstances have made me more of a Samsung guy, so I can't tell you much more.

A lot of these things have a strong DIY aspect to them, so you'll have to learn as you go.
    The process is rather well outlined in this comic .

Good luck,

Louis

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

motorola phone tools

you can use motorola phone tools
    a) a usb cable
    b) a bluetooth dongle

the a or b should not cost you more than 10 dollars each.

Feedback Score
    this particular model is not compatible with motorola phone tools to get pics off. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the size limit of a picture on the motorazr V3c model?