Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Official Gingerbread update for the DROID X thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If you're not able to download it over-the-air, you can install it manually. Read the directions here:
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-t...rbread_id19258
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Please use this thread for talking about the DROID X Gingerbread update.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My buddy tried last night at 9pm, didn't work.
    Then he tried this morning when he got up, and it downloaded and installed for him.

Guess the June 1st date was correct after all.

Steve

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just tried over the air and it worked.

All the 'enhancements' might be nice once I start using them. But overall, it feels laggy, especially when using the keyboard. Also, when you press and hold the period button on the keyboard to make more options come up, it doesn't work. The options come up, but when you release the period button, all the other options go away and you never get the chance to choose one.

Edit: I seriously dislike the lag. Feels like I am back on my crappy storm.

Appears this is an issue. Google "droid x gingerbread lag"

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ingerbread+lag

Also, holding down the home button doesn't bring up your apps that you are currently using so you can switch between them easily. What's the new way?

Device(s)
    iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT & T
    Feedback Score
    I checked last night and finally it was there, downloaded it, and from what I have seen so far it's pretty sweet! nice basic black for the home screen background, will check it out more today.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I actually think the update made my phone run smoother/quicker rather than lag. I've restart it a few times since the update though, so maybe that helped.

On a related note: I bought Lexar's class 10 32gb MicroSDHC card, and it has given me a lot of problems with my Droid X. The phone tends to freeze with it inserted, but runs fine without it. I checked the card for errors in Windows, and there were none, and it seems to work fine in my Asus Transformer. Is anyone else using this memory card with their X? I didn't notice the problems until I got the Gingerbread update.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonkey15 View Post
    I actually think the update made my phone run smoother/quicker rather than lag. I've restart it a few times since the update though, so maybe that helped.

On a related note: I bought Lexar's class 10 32gb MicroSDHC card, and it has given me a lot of problems with my Droid X. The phone tends to freeze with it inserted, but runs fine without it. I checked the card for errors in Windows, and there were none, and it seems to work fine in my Asus Transformer. Is anyone else using this memory card with their X? I didn't notice the problems until I got the Gingerbread update.
    I've been using this one in a Droid X for a couple months and haven't had any problems with it or with the phone freezing. It's much faster than the Class 4 card that came with the phone.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Le...-Review_id2674

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    @FAUguy

That's the same one I have (bought on Amazon....from Amazon themselves, so I'm assuming it's a legitimate Lexar memory card). I suppose this means I need to talk to Lexar to figure out what's going on.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just installed that Gingerbread OS overnight took almost an hour to download it once it reached the 99% mark but my 3G was running at top speed at any rate. The new OS works fine for me but the keyboard could be slightly faster when texting, otherwise its a great new theme and upgraded features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    If you're not able to download it over-the-air, you can install it manually. Read the directions here:
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-t...rbread_id19258
    Before I go through this route could there be any reason why I am unable to pull the update OTA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bharath23 View Post
    Before I go through this route could there be any reason why I am unable to pull the update OTA.
    Go into the Settings/About Phone and make sure the System Version is 2.3.340. If it is, then you are using the correct version for the update to download and install to. Have you rooted the phone? If so, that may be why the OTA is not downloading.

I did the manual update, following the steps I posted, and it's pretty easy to do.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Now that the official update is out, I guess it's time to see if anyone has an easy way to root it. Would like something simple like the Z4 Root app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Go into the Settings/About Phone and make sure the System Version is 2.3.340. If it is, then you are using the correct version for the update to download and install to. Have you rooted the phone? If so, that may be why the OTA is not downloading.

I did the manual update, following the steps I posted, and it's pretty easy to do.
    Yes I am running stock 2.3.340 and I havent rooted the phone which is the reason why I was wondering what could be the cause of it.

Feedback Score
    I finally managed to get the update. I had to do a factory reset to be able to update to GB. No idea what was wrong.

Feedback Score
    One thing i liked in froyo was when you went to contacts->favorites it would list the most frequently contacted contacts even if they are not marked as favorites. In gb this option is missing, i was wondering if there was any option of replicating that behavior in gb.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast