Thread: Proper way to boost signal?

Phone
    Nexus 4 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Proper way to boost signal?

Hi!
    I have a Kyocera Loft (Looking to upgrade to the optimus soon) and my sister has a Rumor Touch. We get the bare minimum signal amount where we live (North Carolina) but we've gotten used to it, especially for the $25 price.

I was wondering if anyone has used/tried methods of increasing their signal whether its an electronic device or even as simple as a made-at-home antenna that could help.

Virgin mobile has great service overall in my area.. its just where we live that we have barely no signal. We can go 5 miles north or 5 miles south and have full signal all around.

Thanks!

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    All of the signal boosting equipment that actually works costs more than the average person would be willing to shell out just for a couple extra bars at home. A cheap alternative would be to use VoIP at home using your Wi-Fi connection and a Google Voice number so that you can still receive calls at home even with no cell signal.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Make all your phone calls from the roof?
    Is this a serious question?

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you don't have good signal outside your home, a repeater (like those made by Wilson) will not be of much help. For something that actually does work, expect to pay $200+, even if you get a good deal on used equipment.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ja5219 View Post
    Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has used/tried methods of increasing their signal whether its an electronic device or even as simple as a made-at-home antenna that could help.

Thanks!
    no, but if you do try and succeed please share with everyone on here...
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ja5219 View Post

Virgin mobile has great service overall in my area.. its just where we live that we have barely no signal. We can go 5 miles north or 5 miles south and have full signal all around.

Thanks!
    For a made-at-home antenna you have to wrap aluminum foil around your head like a headband with a 6" ponytail in the back.

For a more traditional method:

A zBoost yx500-PCS will do the trick provided you have a signal where you place the external antenna.

It's a little bit of work but if you have a signal (like on your roof or in the attic) simply mount the antenna there and connect it to the base station in the house.

This model will not amplify 3G (that's what Wi-Fi is for anyway) but will help a lot for voice and text.

I bought one on eBay for 69.00 complete. They are less expensive than the newer models and only good for PCS 1900mhz which Sprint, Virgin, Boost CDMA and T-Mobile uses.

I bought mine for T-Mobile and it didn't help because there was not any signal to enhance but the Sprint handsets in my house went to full signal.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you can call reliably from one spot in the house you can use a Bluetooth setup to leave the cell phone there and move around talking on a cordless phone that is linked to it.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    If you can call reliably from one spot in the house you can use a Bluetooth setup to leave the cell phone there and move around talking on a cordless phone that is linked to it.
    That's what I do! Works great.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    That's what I do! Works great.
    Yep, or get one of those adapters to use your landline with, and hook up a 5 or 6 phone system, you could technically put the phone outside in your car, attic, or wherever and use your landline in the house hooked up to the cell.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Feedback Score
    I only get 1 or 2 bars in my house most of the time just one, but the voice works great with that. Sometimes wish it didn't when my brother calls and wants to talk for an hour.

My 3G is what sucks in the house. I use WiFi when I'm home.