Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Epic 4G Running on Sprint SERO/Legacy Plans With HTC Touch Pro 2

Feedback Score

Getting Epic 4G Running on Sprint SERO/Legacy Plans With HTC Touch Pro 2

I've got voice/text working on a SERO-style plan using Samsung's Epic 4G, and am now working hard to get 3G data operational.

I've been able to get Sprint's network thinking my Epic is actually my HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium), for my very cheap legacy plan. Voice and text are already working for the Epic on this $15/month plan.

It's been a long haul, and I'm still in the midst of it, so I'm only going to be so detailed with these initial instructions.

This tutorial for switching the Epic to Boost Mobile was a good start:

http://suchcomplexity.blogspot.com/p...mobile_08.html

I'm still trying to catalogue all the stumbling blocks particular to trying to get the proper data from the Touch Pro 2, and the particularities of getting the Epic running on a legacy account on Sprint, vs. the apparent ease of getting it rolling with Boost.

I've been trying to find a forum that can host this discussion, and hope this is the one.

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: 3G Working!!!

Samung Epic 4G working on SERO-style legacy plan: voice, text, 3G data on a current-gen Android phone for $15/month.

Feedback Score

New York

would you care to share how, I am very interested
    email me at [email protected] yah00.com
    i am stuck at getting 3G working

Feedback Score
    Hello, I'm not a SERO plan but am on a grandfathered family PowerPack plan. Any idea if your solution would work for my plan, and if you're willing to share would very much appreciate learning what you did to be able to use your Epic 4g on your legacy plan. Email: reniep @ g m a i l.com

Currently have an HTC touch pro 2 and it's absolutely horrible all the way around! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Yeah provided this is not some bs, please post the instructions here. If not in this forum, post a link to somewhere detailing the steps.

Feedback Score
    Could this work on the iphone 4S?

Feedback Score
    I could use a hint there also. Have voice and text working but 3G is a no-go.

Feedback Score

Getting 3g Working

If you've got talk & text working on the Epic, getting 3g working is probably the easiest part.

On your old phone, dial ##3282# (spells DATA), choose edit, and enter your MSL. Write all that data down, and then bring it over to your Epic in the same way: ##3282#, choose edit, enter your MSL, and then adjust all the inputs to what's on your old phone (the ones that can't be adjusted to those values likely don't matter; it's the username & password that matter most, I believe).

I've now done this with three phones under TP2 accounts, bringing them to Android phones. The biggest frustrations have been either before this 3g step, or after the 3g step getting an "Error 16" message when trying to place calls; fixing the latter is just a matter of calling Sprint technical support, saying you're getting that error, and having them "refresh" or "re-provision" your phone after you've taken the battery out.

For those who do have the Epic or another Android working on a SERO or legacy plan: are you getting voicemail notifications? None of the phones I've hacked are getting them, so we've had to implement Google Voice to know when voicemails come in.

Feedback Score
    Most of what you need to know to get an Android phone working on a TP2 account can be found by searching for the string: epic 4g boost mobile . There are videos, PDFs, discussion boards, etc.

The parts that aren't discussed there are getting 3g working (which I discuss in the post just above this one), and the particularly frustrating experiences of getting the TP2 to mount properly for diagnostics, especially on a 64-bit machine. Samsung and HTC phones are generally super-easy; Motorolas seem to be more difficult.

In general, getting the phone to mount properly and getting into the phone is the hardest part; hacking it once you're in there is a breeze.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much jimmyjohn! I'm going to try this with an EVO 3D, I can assume it'll be a similar process?

Feedback Score
    Can someone else give an update if this actually worked?

I am skeptical, but if it works then I'll go out and buy an Epic to put on Sprint. I have a legacy plan that I want to keep and Sprint is giving the shaft by not allowng any 'iconic' phones.

Feedback Score
    AH HA !!

Best regards,
    -boggsie

Feedback Score
    Hey, there's no reason why an EVO 3D wouldn't work. I got an EVO 4G working in a similar manner for my wife. The instructions for how to hack it vary slightly from phone to phone and brand to brand, but the underlying principles are the same.

And as to whether it worked, yes. In addition to the three phones I've done myself and that have been working for months, I've come across at least a couple dozen others doing the same thing to use an Android phone on their SERO/legacy plans. It seems a great many people do something similar to use better phones on Boost Mobile or Cricket, and this is even more frequently done in China.

Feedback Score
    I was able to get my 3G working finally with the ##3282 method, but it is very lagged and slow ... about 90 to 100K, so I am guessing that it is stuck on 1x instead of 3G.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix it. I literally entered secret in as the HA password, then an actual string in for the AAA, this is what was in my old phone. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Feedback Score

What's the Speed on Your TP2

Hey, I get similar speeds on my Epic in a lot of locations, but when I run the same tests on my TP2 in the same locations, I get the same speeds.

Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast