Thread: Question About "Fair" Coverage

Feedback Score

Question About "Fair" Coverage

I have all but decided on getting the Optimus V, but I still have one concern: coverage. According to Virgin Mobile's coverage maps my house sit just inside "fair" coverage--but just barely. So that leaves me with two questions. One, How accurate are their coverage maps? And two, is "fair" coverage acceptable? I realize the only way to know for sure it to go buy the phone and try it, but if anyone has any general answers to these questions I would be grateful.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What I did:

I bought the cheapest phone (at the time, it was Arc) - at that time, it came with $20 in free air time. I used it for a month as a "second" phone, with whatever number VM gave me. I decided that the service was good enough, and THEN I bought a good phone and had my "real" number ported over.

For around $30, it seemed like a valid investment to see if VM had good enough service for me.

Feedback Score
    I'm in "fair" with "good" about 500' on both sides of me. I get NO coverage in the house, maybe 1 bar (not reliable) outside. I just use airplane mode and WiFi at the house. If you NEED your phone on, it will lose battery juice fast if you have 1 bar (or less).

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It's pretty accurate, but the 1900mhz band Sprint/VM uses sucks at building penetration. You might have 3-4 bars outside, then 1 or no service after you enter the building.

Phones
    LG VM670 Optimus V (current)
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Audiovox CDM-8915 Snapper
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I live at the very edge of "Fair" (literally a couple hundred feet away from the edge) according to VM's coverage map. From the street, I might be able to make a phone call if I'm lucky; I've never had more than one bar. Inside, I just leave it in airplane mode with wi-fi.

I'd say your prospects aren't too good. There's always wi-fi + Google Voice + Sipdroid; it's what I use.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone, you all seem to confirm what I was starting to guess from searching the forum. Even though I would be using Google Voice mostly, it sounds like I best look elsewhere. It is a real shame coverage is not better here, VM sounds perfect for since I mostly text and surf. Just out of curiosity, are there any other prepaid alternatives to VM for that usage type?

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Your not going to find anything like Virgin Mobiles plans, especially the 25.00 one.

Straight Talk @ 45.00 a month may be your closest option depending on AT&T coverage where you live.

Don't take users words for it, try it yourself. You have nothing to loose as you can return the phone.

Buying a cheap phone may not always be indicative of the coverage on the device you really want.

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
    I'm in "fair" with "good" about 500' on both sides of me. I get NO coverage in the house, maybe 1 bar (not reliable) outside. I just use airplane mode and WiFi at the house. If you NEED your phone on, it will lose battery juice fast if you have 1 bar (or less).
    When you put Your phone on airplane mode and wifi on can You make and receive calls?

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by El Schisne View Post
    . There's always wi-fi + Google Voice + Sipdroid; it's what I use.
    Can You explain what this is all about. Is this some work around if You can't get cell phone coverage. I have a Google Voice number myself so I would be interested how this works. Thank You.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    buy grooveIp from the market

just input your google account user/pw then your all set