Thread: Porting from straight talk to virgin mobile.

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Porting from straight talk to virgin mobile.

Hello,

I currently have cell phone service with straight talk and will be porting my number to virgin mobile. I wanted to know approx. how long does it take for a port to go through when porting to virgin mobile. My current straight talk account airtime expires on the 10th of this month (4 more days) so i'm not sure when to start the port. The LG Optimus v I bought at radio shack is activated with another number. not sure if that would slow up the porting process. Thanks for any info.

Phones
    Samsung Galazy S2
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Why do people activate with a new number, then port??? It's very easy when you have a brand new
    phone to activate. Know the info on your current phone provider (number, password, address, etc). Then
    call VM customer service to port. They'll do the rest. Normally take a couple of hours for everything.

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GregMal View Post
    Why do people activate with a new number, then port??? It's very easy when you have a brand new
    phone to activate. Know the info on your current phone provider (number, password, address, etc). Then
    call VM customer service to port. They'll do the rest. Normally take a couple of hours for everything.
    Believe me, I didn't want to activate the phone when I bought it at Radio Shack but that is apparently their policy. They gave me the choice to port my number right then and there or to activate the phone with a new number. At that time I had around 2 weeks of airtime left on my $45.00 a month Straight Talk account that I wanted to use up before the port. I bought the phone (LG Optimus V) at Radio Shack on sale for around $150.00. Other stores were selling it for $200.00. Yea, I'm not too happy about it.

Feedback Score
    I've bought like 6 phones from Radio Shack and never once did I activate the phone there. They offered but I declined.

My mom ported her number from VM to ST and it took like 3 hours if I remember correctly. So it should be similar.

Phones
    Samsung Galazy S2
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If your local Radio Shack requires you to activate a prepaid cell phone, go elsewhere......

Feedback Score
    I bought my Optimus V Saturday and called VM at about 2:00PM to port my number. It was up and running Sunday at 11:00AM.

Phones
    Nokia E63-NAM
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    go elsewhere and complain to the corp HQ.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Yeah when I got a prepaid phone at bestbuy they really wanted to activate it and I said I can handle it on my own. They said it was hard to activate and many people screw it up... whatever bestbuy. I hate the company, only go there for good sales.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JOET1966 View Post
    Hello,

I currently have cell phone service with straight talk and will be porting my number to virgin mobile. I wanted to know approx. how long does it take for a port to go through when porting to virgin mobile. My current straight talk account airtime expires on the 10th of this month (4 more days) so i'm not sure when to start the port. The LG Optimus v I bought at radio shack is activated with another number. not sure if that would slow up the porting process. Thanks for any info.
    Well yesterday I called Virgin Mobile and ported my number from Straight Talk. I called around 9:00 am and the port went through 2.5 hours later even though they told me it would take from 24 - 72 hours for the porting process. I did have to call Virgin Mobile customer service because even though the port went through; talk,text and data wouldn't work on it. They walked me through some steps to activate the phone. Made me do that ##virgin# (##847446#) thing and enter the new settings. If the phone wasn't previously activated with a different number this step might of not been needed. Not sure. I didn't have to buy another airtime card and ended up getting a new airtime expiration date. Turned out I got to use the service almost for free for around 10 days from May 29th to June 8th. They transfered my 18 minutes from previous account but text, mms, data had a zero balance starting off again. Not Bad. So far so good. I will be saving at least $20.00 a month with the Virgin mobile $25.00 plan then with the straight talk unlimited plan. Goodbye Strait Talk.