Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long text messages truncated

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Long text messages truncated

I noticed that when someone sends me a text that's longer than roughly 160 characters, I only get the first 160 characters. The rest just never arrive. I'm in Toronto on a Nexus S, using stock messaging app. Anyone see this too?

Feedback Score
    Indeed I do! It's a system/network issue. I'm using Handcent (an alternative to the stock app) and I seem to now be able to receive longer texts ... but that is, quite likely, a coincidence.

Sent from my LG-P509 using HowardForums

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Actually I installed Go SMS, and in several instances I also was able to receive longer texts. But in one instance, I got two out of three parts of the text message. Weird.

Also I should mention that when I was on my TM506 a few weeks ago (still on Mobilicity), I never had this problem.

Feedback Score
    I believe the underlying technology only supports 160 characters per SMS message. Some agents may try to split longer messages across multiple SMS messages and rejoin them later, but it's just a hack.

Best to stick with 160 character messages. Send multiple messages yourself if you need to.

Phones
    SGSIII
    SGSIII
    N8 Green, Nexus S, S2X T989D
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I get more than 1 message, I mean the whole thing gets split, my issue is mostly with Fido and Robbers....

Feedback Score
    Precisely the same problem. I just signed up with Mobilicity and bought an HTC Panache. Certain text messages are being truncated and I'm having to ask my friends to repeat themselves.

Do you think it's a glitch with the provider or a bug in Gingerbread? Trying to figure out if I should just unlock the phone and go back to Wind Mobile.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Try an alternative SMS app. I believe the when I used Go SMS I didn't have this problem. Though personally I didn't like any of the alternative SMS apps so I went back to stock.

Anyway I'm not sure which end the bug is on, but the default Android SMS app definitely doesn't interpret Mobilicity's long messages properly. Whether that's Android's fault or Mobilicity's, it's hard to say.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Mini
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Recently, that exact issue has been happening with me. I'm able to receive multi-part text messages, but if I were to send a multi-part message, only the first part would be delivered.

I believe it's a network issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanVS View Post
    This was about as exciting as having ED.

Feedback Score
    Well thanks guys for posting. It's good to know it's a known issue (at least among users); I'll try a third-party app and see if that gives me a bit more success. Not going to port over my number just yet.

Feedback Score
    Just as an epilogue, I spoke to Mobilicity tech about an unrelated issue (resolved) and mentioned this texting problem I was having. The first-level tech was having the same problem with a Windows phone on a different carrier, and the second-level tech was familiar with the problem.

Their theory on the cause is that Blackberry has just changed its data encoding from seven-bit to eight-bit. This is in line with a new standard for smartphones but causes some compatibility issues with certain other devices. This would also explain why the issue is sporadic - it only seems to happen when messages come from certain people.

A suggested fix - although not a convenient one, is to ask the person to change data encoding on their blackberry from eight-bit to seven-bit. Apparently it affects nothing else re: their phone's performance and stability.

I haven't tested any of this yet, but for what it's worth thought I'd share with the group.

Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I've never had this problem, although I will say that 99-100% of the longer than 160 character messages I've received have come from an Android based handset on Mobilicity, and have been received on my Nexus S being displayed as a single message. The problem others are having may be related to the handset used to send the message, or possibly an issue with the other carriers involved. I'm certainly not sure, but I know it's not a problem that I've encountered using Android to Android on Mobi to Mobi.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    To add some specifics:

I have this problem when my gf on Telus on an iPhone 4 sends me messages longer than 160 characters.

Feedback Score
    You should get the handcent message app, it's amazing.

Phones
    HTC Snap
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Mobilicty
    Feedback Score
    You guys are lucky! I just don't get numerous messages from Fido people a few times a day

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drez1 View Post
    You should get the handcent message app, it's amazing.
    +1. It's great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast