Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changing LG 800G T-Mobile SIM to AT&T

Feedback Score

Changing LG 800G T-Mobile SIM to AT&T

I am a layman just beginning to learn about differences in network coverage and just purchased an LG 800G. Upon looking at the package I think I was unfortunate enough to receive a T-Mobile SIM(GP5?) instead of an AT&T SIM for my area code 21221. All the Tracfone's I have bought in local stores have always been AT&T and I am worried the reception will be less or poor with T-Mobile.

1. I would like to know what steps I must take in order to receive a working AT&T SIM for my phone which hasn't been activated yet?
    2. Also in the future if I buy another phone directly from Tracfone how do I guarantee that I will receive an AT&T SIM with the phone?
    3. Is there a list of Zip codes somewhere I can use to get the best coverage for the appropriate regions around the US?

I apologize if this has been discussed many times in other threads as I tried searching the forums for a solution 1st. But it was hard to narrow down and piece exactly what I was looking for since keywords such as ATT/T-Mobile/SIM are so common. So I am hoping someone would be kind of enough to put everything I need to do in this one topic.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by RAZOR0018; 06-06-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZOR0018 View Post
    I am a layman just beginning to learn about differences in network coverage and just purchased an LG 800G. Upon looking at the package I think I was unfortunate enough to receive a T-Mobile SIM(GP5?) instead of an AT&T SIM for my area code 21221. All the Tracfone's I have bought in local stores have always been AT&T and I am worried the reception will be less or poor with T-Mobile.

1. I would like to know what steps I must take in order to receive a working AT&T SIM for my phone which hasn't been activated yet?
    2. Also in the future if I buy another phone directly from Tracfone how do I guarantee that I will receive an AT&T SIM with the phone?
    3. Is there a list of Zip codes somewhere I can use to get the best coverage for the appropriate regions around the US?

I apologize if this has been discussed many times in other threads as I tried searching the forums for a solution 1st. But it was hard to narrow down and piece exactly what I was looking for since keywords such as ATT/T-Mobile/SIM are so common. So I am hoping someone would be kind of enough to put everything I need to do in this one topic.

Thank you in advance.
    After putting in your zip code and reaching the buy phones page, if you had looked up at your address bar you would have seen GSM5AT within the URL. That 5 would have warned you you would receive a T-Mobile SIM. If you had clicked on it and changed it to GSM4 or COGSM4 you would have received an AT&T SIM.

There is no way to tell if your T-Mobile service will satisfy you. Some find it OK untill they travel around. It will be hard to convince Trac to replace the SIM if you have not even tried the service. Then you will have to convence them the phone is unuseable. First off if you can activate the phone you had service or it could not have been activated. They have been known to call you and when you answer they then have proof your service is OK. You have to convience them your service is horrible. Can you pull it off if necessary? They don`t promise excellent service, just acceptable service.

Check back for suggestions from others.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here is a site that will help you. Also use the contained links for more Info. It`s dated but still useful.
    http://thejmart.com/links.htm

Feedback Score
    So would this process work even if the phone isn't activated or should I activate it first? http://thejmart.com/newsim.htm

Upon receiving the new SIM would I have to contact anyone at CS?

Also will changing the SIM carrier run any risk of breaking any functions in the phone itself?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    RAZOR0018,
    I agree with everything Tracfancier said so I’ll just try to answer the questions (I hate T-Mobile because it sucks here in the SouthWest area):
    1. Call 800-876-5753, customer service in Miami, and tell them you have terrible coverage. Tell them all your friends with ATT service have good reception and you want a new SIM card to put you on the ATT network. Also, tell them T-mobile stinks in your area. Have the phone turned off but tell them it’s on (in case they try to call it and listen for it to ring which they have pulled on folks before) but that you have no signal most of the time. They should offer to send you a new SIM card, they usually do when they’re convinced you aren’t connecting to the network.
    2. Use a zip that only has ATT coverage but no T-mobile coverage like 24874.
    3. I haven’t found any good lists that specify good ATT but not T-Mobile coverage, most specify differences in GSM versus CDMA coverage. Here is a good article on what you’re looking for: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/834707/
    For you I would recommend using the 24874 zip code (Pineville, WV) if you’re going to order from Net10/Tracfone. You can claim you’re buying the phone for relatives that live there. Hope some of this helps!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    So would this process work even if the phone isn't activated or should I activate it first? http://thejmart.com/newsim.htm

Also will changing the SIM carrier run any risk of breaking any functions in the phone itself?
    I don`t have an easy answer for the way to go. I would probably activate the phone and test it out. Don`t wait too long to decide to change SIM`s.

The phone may be programed for T-Mobile service. If you change SIM cards you need to use a CSR when you swap SIM`s to do the reprograming, The computerized on-line system isn`t capable of this. Most CSR are not either, so call Miami at 800-876-5753.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    They have been known to change the market area for a zip code. For that reason you should ALWAYS look at the URL when on the ordering page to make sure you are still in an AT&T market.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Tracfancier,
    I'm in a mixed market (both T-Mobile and ATT) but it seems my Radio Shack and Walmart always have ATT phones, no T-Mobile so far. Would you have any insight on that or is that just my stores?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    Tracfancier,
    I'm in a mixed market (both T-Mobile and ATT) but it seems my Radio Shack and Walmart always have ATT phones, no T-Mobile so far. Would you have any insight on that or is that just my stores?
    Everyone speculates that the stores quickly learned to go with AT&T only to cut down on the number of phones being returned for poor coverage reasons. There remains a few areas where T-Mobile IS better than AT&T, but not many.

Feedback Score
    I guess I will just try the T-mobile SIM for a bit and see how it works out. In the future I suppose I could always buy another one and do it right way for sure next time. Live and learn.

If I was to do that in the future would it be possible to transfer my number and minutes from the T-Mobile LG 800G phone to the ATT version or is that also a no go?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Tracfancier,
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Should have known there was some sort of monetary reasoning behind it.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I guess I will just try the T-mobile SIM for a bit and see how it works out. In the future I suppose I could alway buy another one and do it right way for sure next time. Live and learn.

If I was to do that in the future would it be possible to transfer my number and minutes from the T-Mobile LG 800G phone to the ATT version or is that also a no go?
    You sure can. The only thing that will get you in trouble with them is transfering the free 10 or 20 minutes you received when activating. They don`t seem to care about the 60 days you received at activation. I still don`t see how days cost them anything. Well they do force you to refill on a schedule set by Trac. You will use those 10-20 minutes very quickly, but you need to add at least one airtime purchase/card prior to transfering.

Phones
    Motorola W376g
    LG 800G
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Just purchased and activated an LG800G, transferring minutes and porting number from old phone. After playing with it an hour or so, I noticed the service was quite flaky. I could sit in the same spot, and watch the "bars" go from 3 to 0, then back up to 2. I would try to make a call when bars appeared, but get a "No Service" message after pressing the Send button. I checked my SIM card and it was the dreaded T-Mobile card. I called Miami customer service and requested an AT&T SIM. The CSR checked my ZIP and said T-Mobile had service here as well as AT&T (I knew that). Then, I related the above calling experiences to her. I also told her that I have another GSM phone (Moto W376) that DOES have an AT&T SIM, and it is rock solid. At that point she agreed to send me an AT&T SIM. So, if you can demonstrate flaky service, they apparently will honor your request to change SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    I wasn't gonna say anything until the transaction was complete but I also got them to send me a new AT&T SIM. I contacted Tracfone support via forum about the alleged issue of using Opera Mini with T-Mobile which I complained about here also in another thread. But before I could tell them I solved the problem they offered to send me a new AT&T SIM which is already on its way. Mum's the word.

Phones
    Motorola W376g
    LG 800G
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steelwill View Post
    Just purchased and activated an LG800G, transferring minutes and porting number from old phone. After playing with it an hour or so, I noticed the service was quite flaky. I could sit in the same spot, and watch the "bars" go from 3 to 0, then back up to 2. I would try to make a call when bars appeared, but get a "No Service" message after pressing the Send button. I checked my SIM card and it was the dreaded T-Mobile card. I called Miami customer service and requested an AT&T SIM. The CSR checked my ZIP and said T-Mobile had service here as well as AT&T (I knew that). Then, I related the above calling experiences to her. I also told her that I have another GSM phone (Moto W376) that DOES have an AT&T SIM, and it is rock solid. At that point she agreed to send me an AT&T SIM. So, if you can demonstrate flaky service, they apparently will honor your request to change SIM cards.
    Well, NOW the second version. I was so happy with the first LG800 (purchased for wifey), I decided to order one for myself. Unfortunately, I hadn't read the post by Tracfancier that instructs how to guarantee an AT&T SIM, and the second phone came with the dreaded T-Mobile card. I tried to use it as I had my old Moto W376 (which DID have an AT&T SIM), and in one particular area I tried to make calls: 4 calls ended abruptly with the message "Emergency calls only" on my screen. That was late on a Friday afternoon. So, on the following Monday, I called Miami Support and related the incident to them. The first CSR I reached sounded as if she was new, and just read from her script. She kept quoting from her "charts" that I had good coverage from either carrier and would not agree to send me a new SIM card. I ended that call after telling her that I didn't think we were getting anywhere. A few minutes later, I called again, and got what sounded to be a much more experienced male CSR. He went through the same chart business, and I explained patiently to him that I understood that he had to use that information, but that my practical experience in the field differed considerably from what his charts showed. He then went through a whole bunch of procedures, which resulted in my number changing, but essentially said that he could not send me a new SIM card. At that point, I told him that if the phone continued to fail, that I would be sending it back. Didn't phase him! So, here I sit with one phone with that dxxn T-Mobile card that is useless in my estimation. I use Google Voice for that particular phone (I work out in the field a lot), and Google will NOT work with T-Mobil phones----says so right on their web site when you try to verify a new phone. So, looks like I'm going to have to send this one back and try to order another using the trick of changing the URL during the order process (per the second message in this thread http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...IM-to-AT-amp-T ) Just don't understand why some of those CSR's can be so hard-headed!
    Last edited by steelwill; 06-15-2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Incorrect quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast