Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory Card For 500G: Micro SD or SDHC?

Feedback Score

Memory Card For 500G: Micro SD or SDHC?

Recently purchased an LG 500G and installed a 2 GB micro SD card which worked fine. I later installed a 4 GB SDHC card but this card will not work. I get the message "card not ready". Is the phone compatible with the SDHC cards or only SD?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Did you format the card? That option should appear somewhere in the menues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Did you format the card? That option should appear somewhere in the menues.
    The card has to be formatted in the phone, not a pc.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Also, there are bum cards sometimes, or brands that a certain phone just won't use for whatever reason.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I just got a bum card then. It occurred to me that perhaps the card needed to be formatted but once I get the "card not ready" message, the phone will not allow me to get to the screen where the format command is. I had thought I could format it on my computer but evidently my card reader won't read 4 GB cards anyway. So I bought a PNY 4 GB card yesterday which works fine.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I bought a Sandisc 4gb MicroSDhc from Walmart, copied the tunes from my thumb drive thru the netbook, installed, and started playing. No format or glitches.

I don't see why the phone should be expected to format a card, it doesn't have Windows on it, just a Java application to directly command features on the phone.=]

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    I bought a Sandisc 4gb MicroSDhc from Walmart, copied the tunes from my thumb drive thru the netbook, installed, and started playing. No format or glitches.

I don't see why the phone should be expected to format a card, it doesn't have Windows on it, just a Java application to directly command features on the phone.=]
    I second this. I didn't have to format my sandisc 4gig micro SDHC. Just popped it in and it worked, first thing I did after opening the package.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well sure, most cards come pre-formatted, but having the ability to format one in any device you put it in is just a convenient utility. My SanDisk music player can do that.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It's not a full feature phone like a Blackberry, it's a Tracphone programmed special edition, $29.99. LG gives them exactly what TF pays for, and this is a good example why TF phones are cheap.

A serious hack might allow discovery the phone has the internal wiriing to do it if the programming could call it up, and there may be a way a Java app could access it. All that will likely never be done because the consumer base is small and there's no money it it. Since any lap or netbook can reformat, the phone simply doesn't need to.

It is a phone first, you can count on TF keeping it focused that way.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Tirod, I doubt that. The phone is marketed as the LG C105 outside the US/N. Am., particurally India, and it's limited to 4GB cards there too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_c105-3444.php

Feedback Score
    The LG 500G may not be a full feature phone but it does have the ability to format cards. When you go to 'Memory Card" >Memory Info > External Memory, the format command is available. For some reason the phone found the particular 4 GB card I put in it unacceptable and gave me the "card not ready" message and blocked access to "Memory Card" and any of the related screens. There's probably a problem with that card. I have no such problems with the PNY 4 GB card that I have in the phone now.

Feedback Score

One should always test new chips and thumbs for counterfeit, fakes or defects

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/

Free German program is the best:

"H2testw 1.4 has proven itself to be the best of breed for detecting counterfeit Flash drives."

Feedback Score

Letter from a geek

If you'd read the manual, it was written clearly that cards larger than 4gb are incompatible with the phone. I did some research, and this is only somewhat true. Long story short, you purchased an SDHC card, not an SD card. For functional purposes, they seemed the same, but in fact the FAT16 file system of your phone is only compatible with SD technology, not Hi-cap stuff in FAT32 or exFAT like SDHC or SDXC. You can use any card that is denoted as being SD, regardless of size, but realize that the max is 4gb and that any other denominations are beyond the phone's operating compatibility, which by the way is only compatible with FAT16 because FAT32 would require more proc power, requiring hardier electronics, kicking down any reasonable amount of battery life, and making your 30$ phone more like 100$. And honestly, it's a tracfone you bought for 30$, not a 200$ blackberry. Don't expect it to be one. Formatting, branding, or the general crappiness of tracfone or lg services have nothing to do with this problem. Just do your research next time. Thanks.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zak12 View Post
    Long story short, you purchased an SDHC card, not an SD card.
    Definitely not the issue, as I have a SanDisk 4GB microSDHC card working just fine in a LG500G.
    Took it out of the package, put it in the phone, and it worked. No formatting or anything else.

(Now I have 2 MP3 players that will not read SDHC card, and neither will my USB card reader)

Feedback Score

Yeah pretty obvious

I have to agree with Zak12. I'm not even a geek and after simply looking at the info on the packaging of the Tracfone LG500G it clearly states that the cell phone takes a MicroSD card. That should be an immediate clue that an SDHC card probably won't work 16 bit vs 32 bit......duh?....

Well done Zak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast