Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice app on Palm Pixi Plus

Feedback Score

Question Google Voice app on Palm Pixi Plus

I'm considering getting a Palm Pixi Plus for my wife on Page Plus. She gives out her Google Voice number only, and I'd really like it if I can get her the google voice app, so that outgoing calls from the cell phone use the GV number for caller ID. Can this be done with the $80/2000 minute prepaid card on Page Plus? If not, what is the best way to go about this? She currently uses about 2000 minutes per year on T-mobile prepaid.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

If you go to the above address from the web browser, on the Pixi, you can log into your Google Voice account and then you will see the GV dialer. I just did it from my Pixi. I assume she would have to go ton the dialer each time she wants to make a call, for that to show as the number. If she wasn't on WiFi, she would be using data for each call, so I have no idea how much each call would cost.

Edit: I just made a call from my Pixi through the Googke Voice web dialer. It let's me dial the number I want to call on the dialer, but then it switches back to the phone's dialer to call the GV number from the phone and then it connects. It seems it would be about as easy to dial in to the GV number first, choose option 2, enter the number, and dial from there. The we web app is there, in case she wants to use it, but it would require data, if not over WiFi, which would make it more expensive.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Using the GV "web-based app" for a phone on a pay-per-minute plan is not an economical way to get the job done (data too expensive). I have checked this out for myself on "precentral.net" (probably the premiere webOS-based phone forum for the current Palm phones). There are a few apps that are available, but I believe only one that is just a simple dialer app (which is what we're needing here). Part of the problem is that there had been apps that would interface with GV via the mobile web (like those for Android and iOS phones), but GV changed (or kept changing) some aspect of the deal on their end, and made it hard for the "homebrew" app developers (all this is unofficial) to keep up, so two of them threw in the towel.

Anyway, the homebrew app that has the simple dialer for webOS phones that can still be installed and used is called "Gdial." It is no longer "supported" by the developer as his further evolved product became orphaned by GV. But the files are still up, and you can read all about them at precentral.net here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...-2-7-29-a.html

Keep in mind that there's a whole idea and procedure involved with installing these homebrew apps. I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't look too difficult. Check it out.

Feedback Score
    The with problem calling her own GV number first, pressing 2, then dialing the number, is that she has to either write down the number she wants to call or have it memorized. At least, that's the way it seems to work on the phones we have now. She won't do this, so she'll just select the number from the contact list or recent calls list, and call it directly. I don't blame her; I'm not a big fan of writing the number down and then re-entering it either. Unfortunately, then people usually just call her back on the number she called from, rather than the GV number, and she burns through cell phone minutes sitting in the living room.

It occurs to me that maybe the Palm Pixi (or some other phone) lets you select a number from the phonebook or recent calls list while you're in a call. If so, that would overcome the issue. Does anyone know?

I'm a little worried about installing an unsupported app on her phone, because it's likely to need some tweaking. I'm not sure she'd tell me when it's not working right, and then we'd be back in the same place we are now.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The way you access GV on the Pixi is through a web portal, so there is no app to install. You can have access to your contacts from the web portal, speed dial from there, and then it shifts over to your cell phone to call through the GV number. You would use cell phone minutes on outgoing calls, but if you have GV to only show your GV number, then at least they would call back on that number later. You would still be using data and cell phone minutes to dial this way on the Pixi. You would use data to access the GV web portal and then your minutes to call the person. It seems to do what you want it too, but at a price, mainly data usage to access the dialer, and the fact that it would take a lot longer to make a call.

Feedback Score
    OK. That makes sense. Is there a way to get data other than the "Talk n Text" plans? I wonder how much data transfer it would take to initiate a call that way.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    You're always going to be using cell plan minutes, incoming or outgoing.

What you need is the Gdial dialer app as I previously posted. It will let you select a contact and will first call the GV number, then the contact's number. This solution is phone-based, not mobile-web-based. With any of these smart phones, there shouldn't be any need to have to utilize a data solution to do something as simple as chain dialing a number. That's a fixation of the app-centric, postpaid plan phone crowd/industry (gotta have an app!), which presupposes we all are paying $30/month extra for data.

For prepaid service by the minute, a dialer app for GV is all that's required, if you can find one. It doesn't utilize any data, regardless of platform.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by r2k View Post
    OK. That makes sense. Is there a way to get data other than the "Talk n Text" plans? I wonder how much data transfer it would take to initiate a call that way.
    You don't have to have the Talk n Text plan to access data. You can use data and get billed for it on the monthly plan. Look at the Page Plus website to see how much data is per MB. I don't know exactly how much data it would use per call, since I was using WiFi to connect.

This is not a very convenient way to make a call. I would agree that a dialer is what you need, but I can also see that you would not want to go through the hassle of installing a homebrew app. Don't know what other two choices you have.

Feedback Score
    Here's my home configuration. I'm using this: http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...dial-tjBm.aspx To automatically initiate calls when my LG vortex has wifi. I keep 3g data turned off and it only works when connected to wifi. I set my google voice account to call back both my LG vortex and my vonage lite "landline" at home. Since vonage has free incoming calls and wifi is free at home. Every call I make from home is free. I simply dial from my cell phone and the app routes the google voice commands through wifi. The vonage line rings and once I pick up that phone, the call is connected. No wifi? The call routes as normal from my cell phone.

Now what do you do if you don't have a line with free incoming calls? You run sipdroid or some other VOIP client on your android phone and make google voice call you back via wifi VOIP. I don't need it right now so I don't know the details of how to set it up, bit it is a really good way to place calls with your pageplus cellphone for free whenever you have wifi.

Feedback Score
    OK, it sounds like I just need a good dialer that will interface with the phone's contacts and dial the GV number string first. If I have trouble, I can use the per-MB data. Half the battle is often knowing what it is you need. Anyway, even if I can't find exactly what I need, from the looks of it, PP will be a lot cheaper for us than the T-mobile prepaid we currently have. If the phone can access the internet via Wifi for free, that will just be a bonus. Thanks for the help!

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I've used the GV "web-based app" that appears when you visit their mobile web site with a webOS phone (in my case via Wi-Fi). It works, although it takes the form of calling you first, then your intended recipient (similar to when you use the GV web site to initiate a call from your computer). A few times it failed to ring my phone, but I would try again with success.

It's just a shame there's no readily available phone-based dialer app (through the official App Catalog) for webOS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgg View Post
    http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

If you go to the above address from the web browser, on the Pixi, you can log into your Google Voice account and then you will see the GV dialer. I just did it from my Pixi. I assume she would have to go ton the dialer each time she wants to make a call, for that to show as the number. If she wasn't on WiFi, she would be using data for each call, so I have no idea how much each call would cost.

Edit: I just made a call from my Pixi through the Googke Voice web dialer. It let's me dial the number I want to call on the dialer, but then it switches back to the phone's dialer to call the GV number from the phone and then it connects. It seems it would be about as easy to dial in to the GV number first, choose option 2, enter the number, and dial from there. The we web app is there, in case she wants to use it, but it would require data, if not over WiFi, which would make it more expensive.
    I don't see a place to log in to my google voice account from the web page you reference. I see from that page it lets you send a link to your phone. From that link on my pixi plus I log in to google voice, but then I get a message that google voice must be set up from a computer not from a phone. Very frustrating. I do log in on a computer and see my call history, etc. I am set up but I get this message and can't do anything from the phone!

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    There is an app on the app store called voogle it is pretty easy. Only a buck or two. Gives you a dial pad and it will also let you choose contacts then it will ring you then ring who you are calling can also get texts that way using data but i usually have data off
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Try www.google.com/voice/m. You should get a log in page first thing.

Feedback Score
    Got it. My problem was the particular GV account I was logging into wasn't set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast