Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 800g apps help

Feedback Score

LG 800g apps help

I was reading the bestbuy reveiws and someone said he got a app for watching youtube on the 800g. So does anyone know where i can get that app and also a yahoo messenger and mail app at? And maybe gmail

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure about some of the things you want but here is the link to download the GMail jar app. It works on my LG 900G so it should work on your LG 800G.

http://m.google.com/mail/download/bi....6/mail_m2.jar

As for Yahoo mail you can always bookmark their WAP site address on your phone http://m.yahoo.com

I actually watched one Youtube video when I first installed the Bolt browser on my LG 900G, it didn't stream but it did download it and I was able to watch it. I think after it downloaded I had to go find the video file and play it outside of the browser, it has been awhile since I tried it. Tried it again today and it doesn't work. Maybe when I installed the most recent version of the Bolt browser it messed it up?
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 06-13-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added Youtube info

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, none of the apps which should work for a Javame2 based phone work with the LG800, only Google maps. I wasted over 100 minutes at GetJar and simular places and could not get a single app to work. Many would load, but not fully function.
    Most of the apps I tried to download were GPS mapping programs. Sad to say it seems the GPS of the LG800 is locked (except for calls to 911 as required by law). None of the apps would recognize any GPS.
    Another dissapointment is the cable I bought to connect to my PC. The PC will find the 4gig card I purchased via the cable, but I can't find a way to download my Outlook email address book into it, nor an easy way to download phone numbers. Nor can I do the reverse and back up the LG800 cotacts into my PC (Windows XP) Am I doing this wrong? I didn't try Blue tooth, I don't have a bluetooth USB transponder on my desktop.
    At least it runs Google maps (with no GPS tracking). Google maps are cool because of the satalite views and layers. You can find your own house from space, zoom in, and see who your wife is having a party with...lol.
    I do like the telephone keyboard; easy to use, few input errors. I also like the option to use common handwriting when texting.
    I live in a place with terrible cell reception and the tracfone works much better than my last Verizon for coverage.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    All that you'll see via USB is the SD card.

The phone doesn't do GPS.

You can "backup" all you contacts. Go to the contacts menu and choose options.
    It will save them all to a single VCF (vCard) file.
    The restore option will load the contacts from a VCF file. It's actually a merge, so exiting contact remain, and you can get duplicates.

Outlook won't export multiple contact to a singe file, but you can do multiple files and then concatenate to a single file. There may be a problem with Outlook formatting the numbers (xxx)yyy-zzzz instead of xxxyyyzzzz (it may have been the EX124G that didn't like that format though).

Try non GPS apps. I've got several games on the similar LG500G, even a JAVA version of AngryBirds and The Legend of Zelda (well on my wife's phone).

The built in browser may be part of you problem with apps too. Opera mini is a much better browser. Plus it uses less airtime.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Best no-contract deal (TracFone works)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Reynolds View Post
    Another dissapointment is the cable I bought to connect to my PC. The PC will find the 4gig card I purchased via the cable, but I can't find a way to download my Outlook email address book into it, nor an easy way to download phone numbers. Nor can I do the reverse and back up the LG800 cotacts into my PC (Windows XP) Am I doing this wrong? I didn't try Blue tooth, I don't have a bluetooth USB transponder on my desktop.
    I just got a LG800G and wrestled the same issue.

I luckily had a SIMS card reader. I saved old files from my old W376G Motorola SIMS card, and was able to upload the old file records onto the new LG800's SIMS card. ...Took 30 seconds.

With a bit of minor editing I got 79 contract entries onto the new LG800 - which took about 30 minutes w/ editing as needed.

I think I got the SIMS card reader online somewhere like Overstock.com for about $10.

Good luck!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Good news. I tried two new browser systems for the LG 800G I have. Opera 4.5 was poop, may be a good system for some phones, but not the new LG800. Then I downloaded BOLT 2.5. This almost makes my LG 800G work like a Blackberry. Fast downloading, quick learning curve, but best of all it conserves your precious minutes and will save you a lot of money. It has a nice 'mouse' function using the navigation keys, and when you press a link it clicks and goes the first time, sparing your minutes. You don't have to keep clicking and clicking.
    One issue I had was saving a website to favorites. This is important; these phones just won't run most apps. So I substitute favorite websites for apps.
    I don't think you can save a website page directly (??). You should back out of it, then go immediatly to "history" (easy to do). Use the 'mouse' with the navigation rose and put the mouse on the site you just visited. Then click and you get the save to favorites menu.
    Since I couldn't find any compatable apps for the mapping, weather and maritime stuff I needed I:

1)visited the National Weather Service Radar for where I live, made it a favorite, and I get screen filling radar of storm fronts. Way cool.
    2)Same as above but with NEXRAD radar. Wicked pissa.
    3)Got a quick two click away NOAA buoy readout for a buoy 16 miles off the coast from where I live; this is cool, it works just like an app! Lots of maritime info there for me. Fast, functional.
    4)I also got tide charts, and other misc. maritime stuff. This browser is fast, not as fast as an app, but still good. Faster than my damn windows XP desktop.

I still don't have any true apps except for what the phone came with, and a few new ones from BOLT such as Wickapedia, Yahoo, etc.; but remember these "apps" aren't much better than 'links'.

Bolt has a great FAQ page wich covers a whole lot. They really explain this free browser system. Grab a beer or three, sit down and read the whole thing.

This may be a issue with my plan, Tracfone, but I noticed that harvesting each email I got took up about 4 minute/units of purchased time per email! That is VERY expensive. I haven't figured out a way to see the email subject or sender either; you can't tell the junk from the stuff you really want to see- Ideas Anyone??? I just harvest business email at a seperate email address and don't dare to harvest my personal stuff because of the cost.

I ordered a sim card reader to help transfer contacts and favorites from my previous phone and PC to the LG, I'll report on that in another post after I get it.. I don't have bluetooth on my PC so I use a cord, but the cord only seems to recognize the 4gig card I bought and won't explore the phone.

To conclude, I thought the LG 800G was 'OK' after I bought it. Damn, after getting Bolt I really love it. Too bad it won't take most apps, but it won't. Nice phone however.!

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I may try BOLT. I was going to go with Opera but you say BOLT is better - worth a go I guess! I think Google Maps is all that can work decently of the 800g as far as maps, etc. The GPS is disabled or non-existent so Google Maps is the best alternative. I'm also interested in a reader app but I haven't found one that anyone swears by yet. Anyone with any feedback would be welcomed.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When you say "reader" I assume you mean a 'Kindle' type of functionality. I haven't tried any apps like that, there may be none. However you may want to select Project Gutenburg as a web favorite. Gutenburg has about 40,000 books online for free.
    I have several weather radar sites (sites, not apps) which work well, filling the screen. Intellicast seems to work best, I use it a lot.
    I still love BOLT, no complaints. It dosn't use many of my minutes browsing the internet.
    I wish there was a way to access my email without using up lots of minutes. I get robbed each time I check my inbox, it can take 4 minutes of purchased time per email! I've had to create a secondary email identity for my job and friends to use 'for important stuff only'.
    Does anyone know a better way to harvest email on the LG 800? Another annoying quirk is that you can't see the email's title, you wind up wasting minutes opening spam or stupid chain-jokes etc..
    I just purchased a Poloroid sim card reader, I'll report back here when I use it.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    When you say "reader" I assume you mean a 'Kindle' type of functionality. I haven't tried any apps like that, there may be none. However you may want to select Project Gutenburg as a web favorite. Gutenburg has about 40,000 books online for free.
    I have several weather radar sites (sites, not apps) which work well, filling the screen. Intellicast seems to work best, I use it a lot.
    I still love BOLT, no complaints. It dosn't use many of my minutes browsing the internet.
    I wish there was a way to access my email without using up lots of minutes. I get robbed each time I check my inbox, it can take 4 minutes of purchased time per email! I've had to create a secondary email identity for my job and friends to use 'for important stuff only'.
    Does anyone know a better way to harvest email on the LG 800? Another annoying quirk is that you can't see the email's title, you wind up wasting minutes opening spam or stupid chain-jokes etc..
    I just purchased a Poloroid sim card reader, I'll report back here when I use it.
    Give Yahoo's or G-Mail's links a whirl. I had the Yahoo linked straight in, and I believe I was able to read the subject info or was it the sender name only. Regardless of being through a WAP data engine it comes up pretty quickly. Yahoo culled out all of the excess ad info, I guess figuring you'd come back to the full browser from the home desktop later in the day.

Phones
    BlackBerry Z10
    BlackBerry Z10
    HKC Tablet
    Carriers
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Bolt will download youtube videos into the phone and allow you to watch them.

I also use Intellicast for radar viewing. It works well with Bolt.

Feedback Score

Bolt 2.5 install help

Then I downloaded BOLT 2.5. This almost makes my LG 800G work like a Blackberry. Fast downloading, quick learning curve, but best of all it conserves your precious minutes and will save you a lot of money. It has a nice 'mouse' function using the navigation keys, and when you press a link it clicks and goes the first time, sparing your minutes. You don't have to keep clicking and clicking.
    One issue I had was saving a website to favorites. This is important; these phones just won't run most apps. So I substitute favorite websites for apps.
    I'm new to this type of phone so please help. Do I need to delete the existing browser first to load Bolt 2.5? How do you do the install? Can I download the Bolt 2.5 on the PC then install from there? Let me know,THANKS.

steings

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steings View Post
    I'm new to this type of phone so please help. Do I need to delete the existing browser first to load Bolt 2.5? How do you do the install? Can I download the Bolt 2.5 on the PC then install from there? Let me know,THANKS.

steings
    You can't delete the built in browser and you don't need to.

To install Bolt go to http://boltbrowser.com with the phone browser and click one of the download links. I think the Dual Signed version will work but if it doesn't try the Unsigned one

To install using a PC
    1. Go to http://boltbrowser.com/dnld.html with a PC and download one of the Bolt.jad files.
    2. Open the jad in WordPad or a text editor and find the line starting with MIDlet-Jar-URL: and copy the URL on that line into the browsers address bar and press Enter to download the jar file
    3. Copy the jar and jad to the "other" folder on the lg800g's memory card using a data cable or card reader.
    4. On the phone tap the Icon menu icon (it has 4 dots on it). Swipe the screen to bring up a second page of icons. Tap "My Stuff", then tap "Other Files". then tap the bolt jad file to install.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    I've set up email rules to only forward mail from certain people to my phone as a txt message. That helps me be sure to get mail from my son. He can access email from school, but cannot use his phone. If I don't check my mail or am not at home, I will get it on my phone.

You wouldn't want to get large amounts of mail that way.

I think you can also set up mail rules so that certain mail is forwarded different places. I wonder if this would help you filter mail some?

I set up a mail folder once to send all FW mail to a "FW" folder to try to avoid reading that kind of stuff in my normal mail box. Same for sale ads. I go get them when I want them. I skip the inbox with those altogether. I figure if I need something, I'll see if there is a sale in that folder. That may declutter your inbox for your phone also?

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    READER for LG 800g: Try Libra. It is the nicest I've found for this phone after a lot of searching. You can use bookmarks, which is nice. I doesn't have the "share sections you like by SMS" function, you can't change fonts or screen brightness once inside the program, but all in all, a great way to pass the time waiting at a Dr. apmt. or going to sleep at night. A nice size phone for reading actually. I am not yet sure how to download books into the phone, several came with the reader I'm enjoying. I'll have to get to that next!

APPS: My favorite so far is called "shopping". I'm making myself put my list in my phone so that I'm less likely to use it. You just tap the touch screen on the item and it disappears to "bought", so make sure to lock the phone when you have it in a pocket.

Also, if you know you are dialing up the net just to check facebook, I like the facebook app. It's faster than bolt, though I could do more in Bolt on facebook, the app is a fast way to check on things.
    Last edited by Maggie5; 12-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie5 View Post
    READER for LG 800g: Try Libra. It is the nicest I've found for this phone after a lot of searching. You can use bookmarks, which is nice. I doesn't have the "share sections you like by SMS" function, you can't change fonts or screen brightness once inside the program, but all in all, a great way to pass the time waiting at a Dr. apmt. or going to sleep at night. A nice size phone for reading actually. I am not yet sure how to download books into the phone, several came with the reader I'm enjoying. I'll have to get to that next!

APPS: My favorite so far is called "shopping". I'm making myself put my list in my phone so that I'm less likely to use it. You just tap the touch screen on the item and it disappears to "bought", so make sure to lock the phone when you have it in a pocket.

Also, if you know you are dialing up the net just to check facebook, I like the facebook app. It's faster than bolt, though I could do more in Bolt on facebook, the app is a fast way to check on things.
    Libra sounds good. Where did you download it from, Google doesn't seem to have heard of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast