Thread: HTC Inspire 4g - Need to unlock APN settings

Feedback Score

HTC Inspire 4g - Need to unlock APN settings

I read there is some kind of software I have to download and install on the Inspire 4g in order to unlock the APN settings so I can input the ones I need. I can't seem to find the software and I've been looking like mad all over this forum and other places but to no avail.

I'm going bonkers here, can someone please help?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth=L View Post
    I read there is some kind of software I have to download and install on the Inspire 4g in order to unlock the APN settings so I can input the ones I need. I can't seem to find the software and I've been looking like mad all over this forum and other places but to no avail.

I'm going bonkers here, can someone please help?
    Have you tried this?

Originally Posted by mburris
    Using the info in the iPhone thread, I've got mobile data working, but mms is still not working.

Does anyone know what the proper APN Settings are to get MMS on android devices?

Thanks
    Here are the steps I used to get MMS working on Moto Backflip with Android 2.1

First download Apn Backup and Restore app from app store, and delete all existing APNs. Then manually enter APNs. In android you must have 2 apns setup for mms to work (at least in my case).

Here are my settings:

Name
    HOME

APN
    att.mvno

Leave everything else alone EXCEPT the bottom selection that says:

APN type (here you must enter the following)
    default,supl

Then save, next choose to add another APN
    make it look like this:

Name
    MMS

APN
    att.mvno

skip down to
    MMSC
    http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS proxy
    proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

MMS port

skip to:
    APN type (enter the following)
    mms
    THEN SAVE

You will see that only one APN has the option to be chosen, that is ok, Just choose the one that is able to be chosen.

Now go back to Homescreen and then reboot your phone.
    This works for me, hope it can help you. I tried a hundred different ways and this was it. Capitalization is important, and the APN type was the trick.
    GOOD LUCK and let me know if it worked for you.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    And if you are wondering how you are gonna download the app Apn backup and restore with no data connections, connect to wifi and then go to market and download it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmk76 View Post
    And if you are wondering how you are gonna download the app Apn backup and restore with no data connections, connect to wifi and then go to market and download it.
    I'll give that a try.

Feedback Score
    Great, after deleting APNs when I got to enter new ones, I get a nice blank screen.

What gives?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Try menu: add or create new Apn?

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Wrong we use a combined apn now if you seperate them you lose internet when you get a mms. Do a search for android apn and find the
    thread. The combined xml is what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBooMY View Post
    Wrong we use a combined apn now if you seperate them you lose internet when you get a mms. Do a search for android apn and find the
    thread. The combined xml is what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using HowardForums
    Thanks, I did eventually get the web working with 3g. I'll look for the combined apn and see if I can get that working as well.

Feedback Score
    The combined xml is what you want.
    Searched the forum, "combined XML" was mentioned only once in the Straight Talk forum, you'll never guess who mentioned it.

So I implore you or anyone else, what is the combined XML code?

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Your search-fu is weak grasshopper.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0#post14372180

Phones
    Moto X
    Moto X
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    In grasshopper's defense, I haven't had very good luck searching in this forum, either

Feedback Score
    Your search-fu is weak grasshopper.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0#post14372180
    Would never have found it because I received poor instructions to find it. "Combined XML" is not mentioned in that post or thread. However, it is now irrelevant since I'm returning the HTC Inspire 4g.

I'm sorry for being frustrated, and maybe I am out of place, but I did ask on several running threads for the information I required and mostly got the run around and eventually some useful information did pop up. Not one person until know provided me with a link, as if a hyperlink is some mysterious device that cannot be used because it defeats the purpose of my toiling through thread after thread and page after page of information that is neither useful or interesting to me.

The most frustrating thing I experienced was being told over and over again to use the search function when I had already plainly stated I tried and failed with it.

I'm no fool, I realize that forums are a blessing and offer immense amounts of knowledge that is free to all because many people are willing to share that information. I'm not trying to undervalue anyone or their knowledge, but many of the smartest people in the world could not teach a person of average intelligence the complicated workings of "X" if they can't answer questions or help in a way that the pupil can comprehend or access the knowledge of how to operate/build/understand "X".