Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Newbie Q: Net10/StraightTalk, LG800 or 900G?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    Newbie Q: Net10/StraightTalk, LG800 or 900G?

    Hey guys, I read the Newbie help and I think I lean towards Net10 option, but would appreciate some advice on making my final decision. First, few details:

    • I did not have a "real" cell phone for the last 3 years, except for the cheapest AT&T phone and $25/3month card from time to time.
    • I'm completely lost in the world of smart phones, apps, etc.
    • I do not expect to use the phone that much (the 750/1000 minutes plans would be plenty), but then, I would like to have a cheap unlimited option (I do think $50 a month is inexpensive for unlimited).
    • I live in the woods - ok, seriously, I live in a poor coverage area, tho my AT&T reception was rather good.


    I narrowed down my phone choices with Net10 to the two LGs mentioned - 800G and 900G - but is there a point having internet access on those? My husband claims, I'll never be able to check an email or post a picture without throwing the phone at the wall, as web browsing will be extremely slow.

    I do admit - it would be nice to check Facebook and post a pic from time to time... Am I looking in the right direction? And which phone would you suggest?

    My husband suggests I pick a Verizon smartphone with their plan, but the rates are beyond comparison, and I'd have to pick a 2y contract to get a decent phone for less than 400$. Looks like picking Net10 with unlimited minutes and LG900G AND additional $20gift card will be less than a monthly bill with Verizon...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    0
    PagePlus Cellular runs on the Verizon network, can be cheape than Net10 and generally offers a better selection of phones.

    Post your scenario in the PagePlus forum and see what suggestions they offer.

    Good luck and welcome back to cellphoneworld.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    252
    Feedback Score
    0
    LG 800g and 900g feature comparison

    General statement on brands
    One of the advantages of Net10 is that it leans toward have phones with more advance features. One strength of Tracfone is that they allow communication access with smaller denomination card. Generally the price/minute is higher in Tracfone. Except for LG 900g introduced to Net10 only, the recent introductions of new phones have been the same. Tracfone does have a Family Value plan so if you choose Tracfone, maybe you can talk DH into saving more money by enrolling in that plan together.


    Browser:
    Since I am more familiar with the LG 800g I will speak to that phone. The native browser it good. It does have limitations in memory. You won't see video. Most people install Opera but I feel Bolt is better because video is supported.

    E-mail:
    As long as you have one of the popular e-mail accounts ISPs Yahoo, G-mail etc. You will be able to access your account. If you have a ISP that signs its own certificate for example you will not have access. There is no place to change permissions on the phone. You are limited to the certificates that are already installed on the phone.

    As far as time==minutes, you reference a wide range---unlimited monthly vs 750 min to 1000 min yearly? monthly? The world is your oyster. Pick whatever you feel comfortable. Just keep in mind that if you apply a unlimited card to pre-existing minutes and service days,you will loose those pre-existing minutes and days. The account will reset the the days and minutes that is on the card.

    Facebook
    Yes there is an app for that--welded to the phone. You can't delete it. As you can see I'm not a Facebook person. I can't tell you how well it works. But if you want it, you got it.

    GSM
    I think if you have good GSM coverage, you should be fine with a GSM phone. Sound like you have been able to call where-ever you want in the past so I reasonably expect a GSM phone will work for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    Hey guys, I read the Newbie help and I think I lean towards Net10 option, but would appreciate some advice on making my final decision. First, few details:

    • I did not have a "real" cell phone for the last 3 years, except for the cheapest AT&T phone and $25/3month card from time to time.
    • I'm completely lost in the world of smart phones, apps, etc.
    • I do not expect to use the phone that much (the 750/1000 minutes plans would be plenty), but then, I would like to have a cheap unlimited option (I do think $50 a month is inexpensive for unlimited).
    • I live in the woods - ok, seriously, I live in a poor coverage area, tho my AT&T reception was rather good.


    I narrowed down my phone choices with Net10 to the two LGs mentioned - 800G and 900G - but is there a point having internet access on those? My husband claims, I'll never be able to check an email or post a picture without throwing the phone at the wall, as web browsing will be extremely slow.

    I do admit - it would be nice to check Facebook and post a pic from time to time... Am I looking in the right direction? And which phone would you suggest?

    My husband suggests I pick a Verizon smartphone with their plan, but the rates are beyond comparison, and I'd have to pick a 2y contract to get a decent phone for less than 400$. Looks like picking Net10 with unlimited minutes and LG900G AND additional $20gift card will be less than a monthly bill with Verizon...
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you want a Smartphone then you should look at the GSM/AT&T Nokia E-71 from the Straight Talk division of Tracfone. Available from WalMart ($170 online order) ($200 in stores). Uses the Unlimited plan @ $45/30 days.
    http://www.straighttalk.com/
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you for the answers. Think I'll stick to Net10 for now - I love the idea with the Nokia, but then I have to use the higher plan all the time. It sure would be nice to have a real smartphone, but I don't need "real" internet access on my mobile.

    @Fireflyqn - Are you happy with the LG800? I like both the blackberry look of the 900 model, and the touchscreen of the 800. Thank you for the tip on minutes vs unlimited.

    DH is not to much into saving on his gadgets, and uses a company phone, so I'm on my own here. I just cannot stomach spending $120 a month to have a shiny phone I don't use more than 5 minutes a day.

    BTW - do I get it right? If I want a smartphone with all the bells and whistles, movie watching, video streaming, etc, I have to go with major networks and something like iPhone or Droid?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    Thank you for the answers. Think I'll stick to Net10 for now - I love the idea with the Nokia, but then I have to use the higher plan all the time. It sure would be nice to have a real smartphone, but I don't need "real" internet access on my mobile.

    @Fireflyqn - Are you happy with the LG800? I like both the blackberry look of the 900 model, and the touchscreen of the 800. Thank you for the tip on minutes vs unlimited.

    DH is not to much into saving on his gadgets, and uses a company phone, so I'm on my own here. I just cannot stomach spending $120 a month to have a shiny phone I don't use more than 5 minutes a day.

    BTW - do I get it right? If I want a smartphone with all the bells and whistles, movie watching, video streaming, etc, I have to go with major networks and something like iPhone or Droid?
    I have the LG 800g and in my opinion it is the best phone Tracfone offers. Net 10 has a bigger offering and ST still better. It will be hard to get a consesus on any model as everyone has different tastes. Teh more advanced the phones the harder it is to learn and master their complete operation.

    If you use the HOFO ST link I gave above, you will find thet the two Nokias are the only two phones the Trac companies have ever offered with UNLOCKED SIM cards. You can use ANY brand Smartphone that is meant to be used with AT&T service and install the Nokia`s activated SIM and operate it with the ST Unlimited $45 per month service.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the 800G will work fine for me.

    Last Q: does it matter which provider I choose if I want to travel with the phone? I think I read ST has no roaming or out-of-US calls, but are there any restrictions while traveling in the US?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    I think the 800G will work fine for me.

    Last Q: does it matter which provider I choose if I want to travel with the phone? I think I read ST has no roaming or out-of-US calls, but are there any restrictions while traveling in the US?
    It is best to have AT&T as the provider (AT&T SIM) when traveling. T-Mobile`s coverage just does not compare. There are no restrictions when you travel. ST has roaming agreements with many small providers throughout the USA and you do not pay extra when your phone roams.

    Tracfone does NOT have roaming agreements outside the USA. You might well connect, but when Tracfone receives an enormous bill for your roaming charges (they can charge Tracfone whatever they want), your phone will be cut off because you broke the rules.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    538
    Feedback Score
    0
    The 800g is nice and cute because it is touch BUT there are issues--I mean you have to do workarounds to get what you want. Like you have to install opera mini or bolt if you want qwerty for the web. Also the wallpaper photos go in at a funny size and it is very hard to get something in there that you can use and it look sharp and nice on the screen--not blurry. The 900g is actually a much better phone--you still need a sd card and opera mini etc to get pretty good web but I have had both and I am getting the 900g again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    252
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    @Fireflyqn - Are you happy with the LG800? I like both the blackberry look of the 900 model, and the touchscreen of the 800.
    For my personal tastes I generally like the mobile. I'm still exploring it. It has strengths and weakness.

    Some of the My Likes and Loves
    1. I can store addresses as part of my contact so I don't have to carry around an address book.
    2. I can stroll through my contacts with a swipe of my finger. I no longer have to return to a list.
    3. I can install practical apps like Google Maps, and change to a browser of my choice as long as its java.
    4. With installation of Bolt, I can stream.
    5. With native the app I can capture video
    6. The installed video player allows me to see a movie on the horizontal or vertical axis with just a touch.
    7. The phone is neatly laid out. Main menus and sub-menus
    8. I can get rid to the cartoon icons if I choose.
    9. I can control what's on my phone's desktop
    10. Wallpaper: sections of the present wallpaper can be used and set to screen. Talking about recycling.
    11. Virtual qwerty option with texting.
    12. Diligence not necessary to ensure my pad is locked to prevent accidental browser activation or calls.
    13. The phone locks automatically when not in use
    14. Ringtone: Plenty and pleasant. No rush to install your own.
    15. Easy Bluetooh connection set up and removal with computer and other phones.


    Some of My Dislikes and Hates
    1. Not being able to set permissions. I am totally at the mini gadget mercy for pre-installed certificates.
    2. If you want to play a video from you own collection you have to convert it to 3GP. It didn't play mp4 as according to some website reviews.
    3. I still lean toward having a physical keyboard. The keyboard has better accuracy for me w/o physical support.
    4. Not as responsive paging up and down. I either overdo or under do it.
    5. Too many busy wall papers for use with icons.
    6. Voice mail icon locks, and volume decreases while listening to msg(s). Have to unlock to put in request to delete, save or whatever. This could be a privacy or safety function but I find it annoying. I haven't put this question to the board to get opinions on it.
    7. I wish it could handle a card larger than 4GB.


    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    I like both the blackberry look of the 900 model, and the touchscreen of the 800.
    So you are still leaning toward the LG900g. You know it wouldn't be a crime if you got both. Walmart lists LG 900g as $30.00 on its website.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
    The pricing of these phones make it possible for you to own more than one. Many people here are phone collectors and multi-users.
    I had mixed feelings towards the LG 900 styling I like it and I didn't like it. It's a lot bigger--definitely bigger than the Blackberry Curve, making it harder in my opinion to stowaway in a pocket.


    You know Tracfancier showed me the LG 511C yesterday. Its a slider qwerty with a touchscreen I don't know if it will come to Net10 or when it will be released. Just thought if you like a physical qwerty and touch screen this may be the one. It's just a question of when and which brands are going to get it.

    LG 511C (Touch screen W/pull out QWERTY and exterior memory card slot)
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search Don't use. Broken link. Corrected below.
    Click on messaging > send a sms

    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search


    Quote Originally Posted by MartyGr View Post
    BTW - do I get it right? If I want a smartphone with all the bells and whistles, movie watching, video streaming, etc, I have to go with major networks and something like iPhone or Droid?
    The LG 800g and the LG 900g are feature phones. There's no Rim, Windows, Symbian, or Apple OSs. But you can run java apps. Streaming will be decided by the browser you choose and whether the site give you permission. If you can live with the limitation of Java apps, I think you will probably enjoy this phone.

    BOLT Browser Info
    Here's some information on streaming with Bolt. It is also used on BlackBerry devices.
    http://www.bitstream.com/browsing/index.html

    Navigated by native browser to site. Select version. Download to your phone.
    http://boltbrowser.com/home.html
    Last edited by Fireflyqn; 06-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    252
    Feedback Score
    0
    What's blurry? Both phones have the same resolution. 240 x 320 pixels. Color 256K.

    Comparison LG 800g vs LG 900g


    What happen to your first LG 900g? Cellphonefreak what are you up to? There are several threads for which Bolt and Opera browser installations were discussed for LG 900g. So how is LG 900g a better phone in that regard?

    Contrary to what you have reported, you don't need a card to install Bolt or Opera on LG 800g. I had both browsers installed and running without a card present. The Blackberry version of Bolt shows smart phones can use a better browser too--or in your terms work around. That doesn't mean the native browser is bad on the LG800g. The Bolt browser provides more features that the native doesn't have. Also the phone installed qwerty can also be used under Bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonefreak View Post
    The 800g is nice and cute because it is touch BUT there are issues--I mean you have to do workarounds to get what you want. Like you have to install opera mini or bolt if you want qwerty for the web. Also the wallpaper photos go in at a funny size and it is very hard to get something in there that you can use and it look sharp and nice on the screen--not blurry. The 900g is actually a much better phone--you still need a sd card and opera mini etc to get pretty good web but I have had both and I am getting the 900g again.
    Last edited by Fireflyqn; 06-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Fireflyqn

    Careful when coping links, HOFO shortens them and when copied they are dead (I found that out the hard way). Here is a good link for the LG 511C:
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search

    There is something VERY important "the Sweeper" pointed out in another thread. Click on the link and look at the top of the 511`s screen. There you will see EV, as in 1xEV-DO or 1xEV-DV, which means 3G. If I remember correctly there are only two 3G capable phones at this time, the two Nokias on ST (the Samsung R810C no longer being available). This could be bad news for it coming to Tracfone/Net10 as they have no offerings better than 1xRTT (2.5G/CDMA) and EDGE (2.5G/GSM).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    22
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been using Opera mini 4.3 & 6, they work fine, but understand Bolt allows SIX levels of screen magnifaction, what version would you recommend and like the Opera browsers do you have to specify certain versions to get signed versions?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireflyqn View Post
    So you are still leaning toward the LG900g. You know it wouldn't be a crime if you got both. Walmart lists LG 900g as $30.00 on its website.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
    The pricing of these phones make it possible for you to own more than one. Many people here are phone collectors and multi-users.
    I ended up ordering LG900 last night. I need the phone by Friday, and the 800 model was available at $50 from Net10 website. I ended up paying ~$90 for a bundle of phone and unlimited monthly, and should have it delivered tomorrow. Plus, there should be a $20 gift card in it - so for extra $10 I can get the 800 and play with both.

    Thank you for the pros and cons list - I am a little afraid of the touchscreen keyboard, as I had hard time trying to type on the virtual one in the past, so maybe next time I'll just check the LG 511 mentioned above!

    Thank you all again.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    239
    Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mongooserider View Post
    I've been using Opera mini 4.3 & 6, they work fine, but understand Bolt allows SIX levels of screen magnifaction, what version would you recommend and like the Opera browsers do you have to specify certain versions to get signed versions?
    I was wondering about this too - and how do you install Bolt - do you need to install by going to the Bolt website?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Net10 Lg 900G Newbie help
    By rmkobige in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
  2. Movies on LG 900G Net10?
    By Throw Back in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  3. LG 900G Net10
    By mkhf1985 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 04:02 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
  5. need help with new plan net10, LG 900g
    By NismoMax80 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 12:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks