Thread: Using 4G Hotspot with Prepaid Phone Sim

Phone
    Note II Repaired after SDS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Using 4G Hotspot with Prepaid Phone Sim

If I bought the TMobile Prepaid 4G HotSpot ($130 with $30 card right now) could I put my PHONE's sim card in there and use the included data on my plan (for example, 5 gigs unmetered on the $70 plan, and then metered afterwards)?

I know my phone can share out my data connection, but I believe its adhoc only, while the Mifi does infrastructure mode that some devices require. Other than that, my phone is not 4G so this would be a way to access 4G data when I really need it, and also to avoid draining the battery on my phone.

My summary question is -- are the 'data' devices locked to only use 'data' sims, or will they use 'phone' sims also and the data that's part of their plan?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The Vibrant can do AP mode wifi and I would just plug it in while wifi tethering. I'm not sure about using your existing SIM in a hotspot device however.
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My Vibrant is not rooted. I do use the 'Quick Settings' wifi hotspot which works.. have to check if its Infrastructure mode or not.
    I did note my phone gets very, very hot especially on wifi mode.

Feedback Score
    Most likely your phone sim will be blocked if you insert it into a data only device. The $1.49 data pass does not work on T-Mobile data only devices. It is blocked.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Idk about that, I just gave a SIM to someone for the specific purpose of using in a Laptop Stick and this is the exact responce I received back, dated June 3, 2011.
    It was perfect...when it is not in use in the usb modem, it can be used in any T-Mobile phone. Activating it online was easier than I ever imagined. It can even be used for the $1.49 broadband day pass...which T-Mobile will deduct the funds for from the prepaid balance on the account. (I don't use the mobile broadband every day so for me this is much less expensive than the weekly, monthly and "traditional" payment plans T-Mobile has available.) Thank you so much for it! Take care and have a wonderful day!
    So why would the Mobile HotSpot be so stubborn I ask?

Feedback Score

How about the other way around?

I've already got a T-Mobile 4G pre-paid hotspot... and I'm trying to port a landline number through to Google Voice. (You can't port directly from land line to GV).

I would be able to port the land line number to the hotspot SIM, but would have to be able to answer a call to finish the port into Google Voice...(obviously, I can't 'answer' a hotspot :O

Can I use the 4G Hotspot SIM temporarily in a cheap prepaid phone so I could receive calls temporarily?

hbear

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kecel View Post
    Idk about that, I just gave a SIM to someone for the specific purpose of using in a Laptop Stick and this is the exact responce I received back, dated June 3, 2011.

So why would the Mobile HotSpot be so stubborn I ask?
    I tested an unlocked option pcmcia card with a tmobile prepaid phone sim and it worked. Just not sure if their branded device would too

Sent from my A101IT using HowardForums
    Go GSM! Switch phones on demand.