Thread: What is the cheapest carrier/plan that will work in Canada?

Feedback Score

What is the cheapest carrier/plan that will work in Canada?

Does MetroPCS work in Canada at all? Even if I have to enter my credit card for every call? Or can it deduct off my TravelTalk account? Does texting work in Canada?

If not, what would be the cheapest? (prepaid or contract, i don't care... I Just want to know the cheapest US plan that works in Canada)
    Last edited by all_bran; 06-16-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Phones
    Nokia 6265i sold for too much money :)
    LG Optimus M
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    as far as us and canada for a plan... i remember verizon being pretty decent, but not sure if they still have the plans or not anymore.
    Poma Computers Facebook Page

BTM and Bangin Magazines

Hanging out at a photo shoot. Yes, the screen name really does say it all.

Phone
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    MetroPCS does not work in Canada. I can tell you that for sure. You cannot text, you cannot do anything... I never got TravelTalk but when I'm in Canada (Ontario) there is no service.. at all...

The major US companies will work in Canada. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint... as far as which is cheapest, you'll have to go and talk to them and look at thier stuff...

But Metro doesn't work in Canada, I don't think they have any towers or any agreements with Canadian providers that your phone would work.

Feedback Score
    Look into T-Mobile prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by babybee122 View Post
    I never got TravelTalk but when I'm in Canada (Ontario) there is no service.. at all...
    Does anybody have experience roaming in Canada with an active and funded TravelTalk account? Does it make a difference?

And does the phone go totally dead? Or can you still make calls if you enter your credit card info?

Phones
    Nokia 6265i sold for too much money :)
    LG Optimus M
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    travel talk won't work in canada. nothing will on metro.

Phone
    LG, ZTE
    Carrier
    Verizon, TracFone/Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Both T-Mobile's and Verizon's prepaid offerings have Canadian roaming.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend M860
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP View Post
    Both T-Mobile's and Verizon's prepaid offerings have Canadian roaming.
    what he said. Metro is a "regional" carrier, it make sense that they dont offer service outside of the country.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, very great analogy:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    But if the question is "Will my non-LTE phone magically increase in speed while on the MetroPCS network, since MetroPCS has turned on their faster LTE network?" -- the answer is no. Just like back in the 60's, the old black and white CRT TV's could not magically receive color broadcasts just because the networks started broadcasting in color. You had to have a new color TV to receive the wondrous color TV shows.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I stumbled on a local Canadian prepaid GSM provider, a while back. Sadly, since it was Canadian I didn't bookmark it.

From memory it was around $15 a month for totally unlimited...way cheaper than anything in the US.

Maybe a google search will turn it up.

Phone
    LG, ZTE
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I believe Verizon's prepaid plan charges .69/minute plus taxes and fees for Canadian roaming. Text should also work up there, but I do not know about data/mobile web.

Personally, I don't see why metroPCS could not offer Canadian roaming, as long as the customer had sufficient funds in MetroConnect to cover the charges.

Feedback Score

Pre-Paid cellular use in canada

Quote Originally Posted by all_bran View Post
    Does MetroPCS work in Canada at all? Even if I have to enter my credit card for every call? Or can it deduct off my TravelTalk account? Does texting work in Canada?

If not, what would be the cheapest? (prepaid or contract, i don't care... I Just want to know the cheapest US plan that works in Canada)
    I don`t know if was supposed to work or not or if it wasn`t authorized (but) I know I have used both TracFone and Net10 phones in Montreal, Quebec and spoke to my wife in South Florida many times with no problem whatsoever.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Novatel MiFi 2200
    Carriers
    Sprint (personal) CBeyond (work & data hotspot)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckknight View Post
    I stumbled on a local Canadian prepaid GSM provider, a while back. Sadly, since it was Canadian I didn't bookmark it.

From memory it was around $15 a month for totally unlimited...way cheaper than anything in the US.

Maybe a google search will turn it up.
    Over the last couple years, Canada has had a number of smaller regional carriers launch that offer limited coverage, but VERY decently priced plans:

You must be thinking of Public Mobile-- publicmobile.ca -- it's the only one that I can think of that offers $15 for unlimited calling. They are CDMA (not GSM) and are only available in Toronto and Montreal--but if you are spending a good chunk of time in either of those 2 cities and need a phone up there, it's a great option! (they also offer roaming on Telus for $.15 per minute)

Wind is GSM, and has a $15 plan, but it only has 100 anytime minutes, but unlimited M2M... They do have an unlimited plan for $25, as does Mobilicity, who is also GSM.

I can't think of anyone else that has wider coverage at that price point--expect *possibly* Chat-r Wireless at chatrwireless.com, which is actually owned by Rogers and uses their network--Rogers is the largst GSM carrier in the country. They use Chat-r as a sub-brand to compete with the other 3 new carriers--even though they have a large network, they limit the "unlimited" areas of Chat-r to "zones", which may or may not work for you... they are $25/35 for unlimited calling.

If you don't want to carry a Canadian phone (I have a friend who lives in Buffalo that keeps a Public Mobile phone), both Verizon and Sprint offer $15 add-ons that turn on roaming on Bell & Telus (the 2 carriers with the widest coverage in the country) for no per minute charge. That said, if you want the unlimited Metro PCS in the states, you may want to pick up a similar option for Canada like those mentioned above--you can't have both in the same phone unless you spring for Sprint or Verizon.

--Nat

Phone
    LG, ZTE
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1336 View Post
    I don`t know if was supposed to work or not or if it wasn`t authorized (but) I know I have used both TracFone and Net10 phones in Montreal, Quebec and spoke to my wife in South Florida many times with no problem whatsoever.
    TracFone's Terms of Service stipulate that the phones cannot be used to make or receive calls while outside the U.S.

In the past, I have brought both GSM and CDMA Tracfones up to Canada, specifically Montreal and they both registered on the networks up there, so from a technical standpoint, back then, they worked. Using a TracFone outside of the U.S. would violate their TOS and the service would be shut off.

As to whether metroPCS would work in Canada, that would depend on if the CDMA networks up there are in the metroPCS PRL and how they are designated.

Feedback Score

Cellphone Coverage in Canada / TracFone- Net 10

Since I made very few calls from Canada back to the USA using either my TracFone or Net10 phones, perhaps that was why they did not disconnect my service or it was`nt detected. They should offer service there for traveler`s who are on vacation. Since they are starting to offer International coverage I believe, you would think that Canada would be included for phone service as well? Since they use either T-Mobile or AT&T for GSM coverage and Verizon for CDMA coverage, there is no reason for their phones not to have the capacity to work there. Perhaps they don`t want to pay a surcharge for the roaming coverage that might kick in for calls made from Canada.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    You must be thinking of Public Mobile-- publicmobile.ca -- it's the only one that I can think of that offers $15 for unlimited calling.
    THAT'S IT!!!

Thank you for proving that my memory works, and that I wasn't imagining it. Heck, I was starting to think I was crazy.