Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Lg501c

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    183
    Feedback Score
    0

    Lg501c

    Good Evening. I justed wanted to ask a question concerning the LG501C . Does this device have Java and does it support Opera Mini ? Thank You.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    564
    Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Probably not, I haven't seen any really good specs on this phone but all the other CDMA phones from Tracfone/Net10/StraightTalk have been Brew (with no app support) and not Java. The literature says you can download games but nothing indicates it can run any apps. If you can put up with a GSM phone they have the LG500G that does run Java and folks have loaded Opera on that model. If the LG501C did run Java I would have bought it too for the CDMA coverage and Qwerty keyboard but it's a CDMA version of the LG500G with the MP3 removed and the camera downgraded to a VGA. Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alex5000 View Post
    Good Evening. I justed wanted to ask a question concerning the LG501C . Does this device have Java and does it support Opera Mini ? Thank You.
    See what you can learn here: http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search

    Click on the word HOME top right and the tutorial list underneath will change to specs (the tutorial list on the right is an individual list of all tutorials found on the left).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have the LG 501c, from Tracephone. I wasn't sure if it had Java or Brew on it. I made sure I bought it somewhere, where I could return it if it did have Brew on it. I absolutely hate the Brew OS. I think people should be able to download free apps, to put on their phone, as they see fit. After all, you already paid for the phone, and you pay for internet service to download the apps.

    So, I can tell you YES. The LG 501c, does have Java and not Brew OS. I just finished downloading new apps/games from www.getjar.com.

    If anyone knows where I can find a good Bluetooth app, that lets me control my PC with my cell phone please let me know. I am running Linux for my primary OS. However, a Windows app would be welcomed too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    564
    Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    JWest.1,
    I'm really glad to hear that. Have you installed Opera Mini or Bolt on that phone? What apps do you have working on that phone? Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    @BobbyLee

    Yes, I installed Opera Mini 4 on it today. It is my favorite Mobile Web Browser, I install it on every mobile phone, that supports it. I just got the phone a few days ago, so I've not had time to install many apps on it, yet. I have installed a few games that I've never heard of till now, can't remember their names. So far, everything I've installed on it works just fine.

    My laptop has Bluetooth. So, I tried to send apps, ringtones, and wallpaper to the phone via Bluetooth. It would not work at all over Bluetooth. It kept popping off errors. However, I copied my ringtones and wallpaper over to my webhost, they downloaded and installed, to the phone just fine. That tells us, there will not be any problems downloading multimedia content from the web. All around, I think it's a pretty darn good phone for just $20. It's been awhile since I've seen a cheap phone that you can download "FREE" apps, ringtones, and wallpaper from the web.

    However, I tried to download the ringtone and wallpaper, using Opera Mini 4. It did not work, it kept giving me an error and didn't download any of the content. I opened the factory web browser, that came with the phone. It downloaded both, the ringtone and wallpaper flawlessly.

    Also, if you do get the phone and have ringtones and wallpaper for it, you will need a webhost to send them to the phone. If you do not have access to a webhost message me, and I'll set you up a temporary one on my webhost.

    I don't know about a data cable, I do not have one. Therefor, I can not test it, to see if you can upload apps and such with it. It may or may not work.

    If you or anyone else, has or gets a data cable, with this phone, please test it and let us know. I'm considering getting one and testing it myself. However, it will be a few weeks before I am able to get one. I would like to know upfront if it works or not before I purchase it. If it doesn't work, I don't really want to spend the money on it..

    If you have any other questions, I'll help you as much as I can..

    J. West

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JWest.1 View Post
    @BobbyLee

    Yes, I installed Opera Mini 4 on it today. It is my favorite Mobile Web Browser, I install it on every mobile phone, that supports it. I just got the phone a few days ago, so I've not had time to install many apps on it, yet. I have installed a few games that I've never heard of till now, can't remember their names. So far, everything I've installed on it works just fine.

    My laptop has Bluetooth. So, I tried to send apps, ringtones, and wallpaper to the phone via Bluetooth. It would not work at all over Bluetooth. It kept popping off errors. However, I copied my ringtones and wallpaper over to my webhost, they downloaded and installed, to the phone just fine. That tells us, there will not be any problems downloading multimedia content from the web. All around, I think it's a pretty darn good phone for just $20. It's been awhile since I've seen a cheap phone that you can download "FREE" apps, ringtones, and wallpaper from the web.

    However, I tried to download the ringtone and wallpaper, using Opera Mini 4. It did not work, it kept giving me an error and didn't download any of the content. I opened the factory web browser, that came with the phone. It downloaded both, the ringtone and wallpaper flawlessly.

    Also, if you do get the phone and have ringtones and wallpaper for it, you will need a webhost to send them to the phone. If you do not have access to a webhost message me, and I'll set you up a temporary one on my webhost.

    I don't know about a data cable, I do not have one. Therefor, I can not test it, to see if you can upload apps and such with it. It may or may not work.

    If you or anyone else, has or gets a data cable, with this phone, please test it and let us know. I'm considering getting one and testing it myself. However, it will be a few weeks before I am able to get one. I would like to know upfront if it works or not before I purchase it. If it doesn't work, I don't really want to spend the money on it..

    If you have any other questions, I'll help you as much as I can..

    J. West
    Here is one that works (not sure about your model) for less than $2 delivered:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    564
    Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    JWest.1,
    Thanks, now I'm gonna have to buy one and play with it. Having Java on a Tracfone CDMA could make the phone worthwhile, it's a first. Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    @BobbyLee,
    Glad I could be of help to you. In my opinion, it is worthwhile. I originally got mine to replace a Safe-link phone. However, after doing so I like it so much I just kept it and started paying for Tracfone service. I'm surprised at the features it has, considering it a Pre-Paid Tracfone. It sucks that most phones these days no longer run Java. They run Brew OS, which sucks ***. I guess that's their way of preventing us from downloading free apps and ****.

    @Tracfancier,
    Thanks for the link. Do you happen to know, If I can send apps, ringtones, wallpaper, and such over to the phone using the data cable? That's what I was mainly wanting to know. I know it wont copy them over, using Bluetooth. However, I've had a few phones that you could do it with the cable and NOT with Bluetooth. So, I guess I'll just have to get it and see.

    I'm glad they finally standardized the plug. That's something they needed to do a long time ago. I watched a show, it was either on History or Discovery Channel. They were talking about them standardizing it, at least 3 years ago. They also had a deadline for it, I guess they finally hit it. All new phones including this one now use the same exact data cables and charger, nationwide. They went with the MiniUSB plug. It's nice being able to buy one cable and charger, and have it fit every phone. I just wish they would have went with something I already had. I bet I've bought over 50 chargers and at least 10 or more data cables.

    Well, good luck with it BobbyLee. Thanks again Tracfancier.
    J. West

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,813
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I checked and it appears both Bluetooth and USB connectivity are limited. This review may be helpful to you. This link is actually to part 3 of the review, but covers your question:
    http://pbush14.wordpress.com/2011/08...-3-conclusion/

    Chances are if Tracfone gets the LG 505c (touchscreen W/slide out qwerty) it may do all you want.
    http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/s...e=en_US&search

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    @Tracfancier,
    Thanks for the help and the links. I will read over it and see what I've got. I figured it would be limited, I just wasn't sure to what extent. If it is to limited, to send apps and stuff over the data cable. That's fine, since I know that I can upload what I want to put on it, to my webhost. I'm happy with just doing that, if nothing else works.

    However, I do appreciate the links. Both, where to get it and the limitations. I still plan to purchased a data cable, wether it works or not. Atleast that way I can charge it from my laptap. Plus, I was reading an artical about unlocking/jailbreaking the phone. If that works, I'll be able to upload whatever I want..

    Thanks Again Man,
    J. West

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JWest.1 View Post
    @Tracfancier,
    Thanks for the help and the links. I will read over it and see what I've got. I figured it would be limited, I just wasn't sure to what extent. If it is to limited, to send apps and stuff over the data cable. That's fine, since I know that I can upload what I want to put on it, to my webhost. I'm happy with just doing that, if nothing else works.

    However, I do appreciate the links. Both, where to get it and the limitations. I still plan to purchased a data cable, wether it works or not. Atleast that way I can charge it from my laptap. Plus, I was reading an artical about unlocking/jailbreaking the phone. If that works, I'll be able to upload whatever I want..

    Thanks Again Man,
    J. West
    I tried a data cable. I can hook to my desktop or laptop and it recognizes a LG CDMA USB Modem. However, there are no drivers to talk to either. One is XP and the other is Vista. I talked to CS at LG and the only way to talk to computers is with a SD micro card, this phone doesn't have any card slot.

    If anyone can figure out how to communicate with windows, I'd appreciate it. I've been looking for drivers everywhere.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has anyone figured out how to xfer pics or other data from this phone without going out to the browser?
    I am in a location where element mobile will not allow web access except on their phones. I have no way of getting data to or from the 501C that I know of.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    564
    Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    dairyair,
    Just got the LG501C but I can tell you the port has been locked down so the only thing you can do is charge through it. Also, you can't use Bluetooth for file transfer which means no pictures, no apps, and no ringtones transferred via Bluetooth. The only way to get pictures or ringtones on the phone without downloading/uploading via the web is to send them as an MMS or as an attachment to an email and send it to your phone (phone email address should be XXXXXXXXXX@mypixmessages.com, replace your 10-digit phone number for the Xs). The only way I found to get pics or audio files off the phone is to send them via MMS to another phone or to an email address. Hope that helps, if not post again. Like I said, I just got the phone and am still figuring it out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks BobbyLee

    If I don't have web access I don't have email function, do I? I am new to this type of phone.
    I thought I tried MMS and email, but maybe I did it wrong. I'll try again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LG501c CDMA doesn't have a microSD card or MP3 player?
    By annepani in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks