Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to Tether LG THRIVE P506 & Root! From your phone! GUIDE

Feedback Score

[SOLVED] How to Tether LG THRIVE P506 & Root! From your phone! GUIDE

(wifi connection required)

THIS GUIDE WILL ROOT AND MAKE YOUR LG THRIVE TETHERABLE USING A STRAIGHT TALK SIM CARD

Just a heads up-never rooted a phone in my life untill about an hour ago-so easy

Did some serious searching over the past few days and i am happy to say that i am typing to you on my netbook,which is being tethered by my New Lg Thrive
    P506 At&t GoPhone using a Straight Talk Sim Card(E71 sim).I can report i am getting better download speeds (Via Torrent) vs. the E71.
    E71=125kbps max vs. LgThrive=180kbps max!

ROOTING
    1) Enable unknown sources.
    Problem: The checkbox doesn't appear in Settings->Application->Development
    Solution: Enter the secret menu (dial 3845#*506#); next to last is the option "Unknow Sources Test" (sic). There you can tick the Unknown Sources checkbox.
    2) Make sure USB debugging is enabled
    - Make sure you have an SD card (formatted and) inserted
    3) Download and install Gingerbreak 1.2
    DOWNLOAD HERE http://www.fileserve.com/file/vDyV6JM
    a. Open the APK, press the root button
    b. Wait a few minutes. If there are no problems, the device will reboot (note that the reboot itself can take like 10 minutes due to cache wipe)
    c. Make sure the Superuser app is install and working
    4) Download Titanium backup from the market and backup everything
    (just in case)

NEXT -Trick For Installing Tethering APP
    (you wont be able to do this with the sim card in -need wireless connection)

1) Take Sim Card out of the phone,put battery back in and turn back on.(keep sim out)
    2) Turn on Wireless connection to phone
    3) Go to the android market, and search for "wireless tether for root users"
    4) Download and install.Then power off,put sim card back in,and reboot!

ALL DONE

Need to thank raenye over at xda for a small part of his post.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Not sure we want to load up the forum with rooting information as this isn't the point of this site.....that's why we refer people to XDA Developers....but the effort is appreciated. I can't help but notice you said that you were noticing better speeds via TORRENT. I hope you're not planning on using the tethering to download on torrent clients....or you will find your data and possibly your service cut off in a matter of days, if not sooner. They monitor the data usage and they are pretty strict about it. There are quite a few people that have managed to get themselves cut off just by streaming too much video.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    With that code I was able to make it so I can install amazon apps and down load (apps that I had already bought for free)
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    Personally,i use the wifi hotspot on this for surfing on my netbook. like on a long trip or something.Im too impatient when it comes to my download speeds,and yes,i hear st will punish you for too much downloading,but at least i am not at the mercy of The LG thrive. i have the CHOICE! As i did on my e71
    But no,absolutely not, i wouldnt risk this great thing i have with St for a stupid movie or something..Youre totally right Renegade

The point of the torrent download was to get to Guage a max download speed / upload speed on the phone, for test purposes only

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    With that code I was able to make it so I can install amazon apps and down load (apps that I had already bought for free)
    What do you mean "bought for free"?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Amazon gives out free apps if you install their app

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Be careful about posting anything that a company might consider illegal. The company could and some maybe have, come after HOFO with a lawsuit for having it available on their site. Tell everyone where to find the info, just don`t post it here if legality is in question.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Trust me there's nothing illegal about what they're talking about right now. Rooting has already been proved to be perfectly legal. The only legalities we have to worry about is if somebody tries to flash a different ESN onto a CDMA phone. The only thing you are violating in this case with a GSM phone is the terms of service contract for the service provider.... which is not illegal..... if you are caught using another phone you might lose your service and of course you're going to void any warranty by rooting that you might have had otherwise. Also the Amazon free apps are perfectly legal.... in case you were referring to those.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is the crime called "theft of service." The prices you pay for web services are based upon what you can do with the phone alone. If you hook another device to the phone and use the cellular data network of the carrier, you are stealing that service. You paid for a gallon of milk, the box of cereal is not included.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    To be able to tether from this phone i hacked,you MUST HAVE the sim card out of the straight talk nokia e71 WHICH STRAIGHT TALK LET YOU DO TETHERING WITH(you must have had to already purchased the milk)... So if they are expecting you to tether with this particular sim card in the e71,whats the difference wether you do it in the phone you purchased from straight talk,or the phone you paid an EXTRA 200$ for (a different bowl)??

Youre using the exact same amount of data and minutes,its just on a different phone i purchased AFTER the one i originally bought from this carrier,it no skin off of straight talks back... its even stevens...

I PAID FOR THE GALLON OF MILK,im just using a different bowl

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It does not matter. Tethering is prohibited by the Terms and Conditions, which are incorporated into the restrictions imposed upon every user of the service. Even the transfer of the SIM card to another phone is not permitted. They do not bother to refer you to law enforcement authorities. They simply cancel your account and confiscate your balance.
    7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.
    Some Straight Talk wireless phones have SIM cards. If your Straight Talk phone has a SIM card, then you agree to safeguard your SIM card and not to allow any unauthorized person to use your SIM card. You agree not to, and not to allow any other person to, directly or indirectly alter, bypass, copy, deactivate, remove, reverse-engineer or otherwise circumvent or reproduce the encoded information stored on, or the encryption mechanisms of, your SIM card. You may not remove your SIM card or use the SIM card on any other wireless phone. Any violation of the restrictions on the use of your SIM card that are contained in this section may result in the immediate termination of your service without notice. The Carriers, TracFone Wireless, or its service providers, may, from time to time, remotely update or change the encoded information on your SIM card.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Blah...blah...blah....yada....yada...yada.....we'v e been over this. We know the risks. But so long as the data usage isn't abused then so far we have been fine. I don't think we need yet another quote from the ToS. Thats already been mentioned here about a million times. If you notice I stated as much a couple of posts back.

Feedback Score
    so being new here,i have a couple questions.
    a. are these people posting all the cell phone agreements the cell phone police?
    b.are they paid by the phone carriers to post this crap/employees of the carriers?
    c.if they are none of these,what god for saken motivation would he/they have for defending these big corporate slobs?
    Last edited by dovedescent7; 06-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Offically this site is here to discuss pretty much everything about all carriers and the phones they carry, so posting up stuff from the ToS isn't against the forum rules. It's just that some think it's necessary to constantly remind us about Straight Talk's Terms of Service contract. It's already obvious that we're not supposed to do this, but we do it anyway knowing that. If it was allowed Straight Talk would tell us how to do it.

P.S. Be careful with the personal attacks. Those kind of posts typically get removed and sometimes people end up getting banned. Try to keep your arguments closer to the subject at hand without insulting the person on a personal level.

Last edited by Renegade1994; 06-19-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    point taken, and edited

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast