Thread: Speed Test Speeds and what they mean?

Feedback Score

Speed Test Speeds and what they mean?

What would be considered a good speed for 3g, 4g and wifi? And what does "ping" stand for and what does it do? Is a higher ping # better or a lower ping #?

Please tell me avg #s for each if someone knows them. I did a wifi test with a LG Optimus S

Ping: 32 ms
    Download: 9.38 mbps
    Upload: 2.79 mbps

is that good over wifi? Should 3g be faster or slower? Would be 4g be faster or slower? Im really just trying to understand it and learn. Like what is the difference between these #s and what a computer would or should get over the same wifi?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

Phone
    iPhone 5 64gb, HTC One X
    Carrier
    Koodo, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In simple english: (someone correct me if im wrong)

Ping is the time it takes your device to communicate with the server. So the lower the value the better.
    Your speed over wifi is pretty good. Your phone's down/up speeds are based on your wifi internet. Therefore both your phone and computer will have similar speed if they are both connected to the same wifi. Disable wifi and do the test again in 3G so you will see your network's speed and your phone's capability. 4G is faster than 3G but I doubt your phone/network supports it (real 4G that is).
    Sign up here for FREE 2GB Dropbox Cloud Storage and get an additional 500mb space!
    Sign up here for FREE 15GB Copy Cloud Storage and get at additional 5gb space!

Feedback Score
    thanks bimmer!!!

The phone currently isnt connected to a service thats why I wanted to know what some 3g and 4g speeds are. If anyone has their latest 3g or 4g speeds that would be great.

I did the same speed test with my computer and got better #s

Ping: 14 ms
    Download: 17.51 mbps
    Upload: 5.12 mbps

Phone
    iPhone 5 64gb, HTC One X
    Carrier
    Koodo, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well your comp will definitely be faster due to it having a better processor, ram etc to handle your internet. Ill do a test later on my Atrix 4G (on Bell network) so you get an idea. Although it's called 4G, there really isnt a REAL 4G network yet..

Phones
    HTC Evo 4G LTE
    BT: Jawbone Prime
    Previous: HTC Evo 4G, Sony Ericsson W580i, Z520a, Jawbone, Cardo Scala 700, Scala 500
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Your ping is a bit high for the speed you're getting on your home network, but not too bad. Both download speed and upload speed are good, although I suspect you'll get better numbers testing directly from a computer.

Your upload speed is quite good. Who's your provider?

Compared to 3G, speed varies depending on your carrier and its network coverage in your area (this applies to 4G, as well), but I would expect higher ping and lower speeds, anywhere from 0.5 mbps up to around 3 mbps would be the norm.

For 4G, you might get comparable or even better results, depending on your carrier, especially on Verizon's LTE.

The Sprint forum here on HoFo has a 3G/4G sub-forum with stickied threads for speed test results for both 3G and 4G, you may want to check there just to get an idea of what people are getting on different areas. I did not see similar threads in the other carrier forums, but some might have them, as well...

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using HowardForums

Phones
    HTC Evo 4G LTE
    BT: Jawbone Prime
    Previous: HTC Evo 4G, Sony Ericsson W580i, Z520a, Jawbone, Cardo Scala 700, Scala 500
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Whoa, I totally missed your post with your test numbers from your computer.

To clarify, the speed you're getting for your home network will also depend on your provider, as well as what package you're getting from them. Verizon FiOS, for instance, has much faster speeds than AT&T DSL.

And here are some test results from my home network (with Time Warner Cable), and with Sprint's 3G/4G speeds in my area, tested with both my computer and my phone. The results on the left are from the computer, and on the right are the phone.

Home network (TWC):

Sprint 3G:

Sprint 4G:

Feedback Score
    Thanks Glenn!

ok so im getting pretty good speeds over wifi for both computer and android? When I looked it up on the speed test site it did say I was getting better then 93% of the rest of the country and 94% of the world. I did my android test over wifi at my cousins house tonight and he was getting even better downloads then me. I was getting over 9 mbps at my home at his home I was avg over 12 mbps on the android!