Thread: 800G. Re: MicroSD ability.

Feedback Score

800G. Re: MicroSD ability.

While swapping card, I looked at the MicroSD slot. It looks like the third finger from the left is longer and angled to the right, while the fourth finger from the left is shortened.

Could be a defect or a deliberate change limiting the phones capacity to 4 GB, instead of LG's stated 8. If it's deliberate, there won't be a firmware fix.

Since no one has claimed to be able to use a 8GB card, I think it's deliberate.

Feedback Score
    That's an interesting observation. This is comparison of 4GB and 8GB cards from the same manufacturer? Do they have the same class as well 2 vs 6 for example.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWV View Post
    While swapping card, I looked at the MicroSD slot. It looks like the third finger from the left is longer and angled to the right, while the fourth finger from the left is shortened.

Could be a defect or a deliberate change limiting the phones capacity to 4 GB, instead of LG's stated 8. If it's deliberate, there won't be a firmware fix.

Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Feedback Score
    If you are saying what I think your saying. I think it is normal.
    The pins in the slots that contact the SD card are arranged a little funny on all that I have seen, which is only about 3 or 4 but they all looked the same.
    It is probably a normal pin grouping for the card.

And remember these phones only go up to 4 gig. People are still trying to get 8 gig cards in to these phone and that just don't work.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    It may not be Tracfone's decision. LG may have insisted on reducing the capacity as a condition of selling them the phone.
    Or maybe we have typos.
    A variation, the T310 Wink, is on sale at www.walmart.com.br. Specs say card capacity is 4 GB.
    At http://bepixelung.org/, they list a capacity of up to 16 GB.

LG's site lists capacity as up to 8 GB for the 800g. LG lists capacity of the T310 as 4 GB.
    I think that the slot for Tracfone's LG 800G has been crippled.
    It looks like the slot has been designed to short out some capacity.
    Why, or who's decision it was, we will probably never know.

I bought the phone to get used to the touch screen and burn accumulated minutes.
    In the meantime, I'm working out just how much can be done with these newer phones.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    The "slot" cannot short out anything.

The SD card interface is serial. It's a firmware limitation of the host controller not a physical limitation. It's a lot like the original SD v/s SDHC v/s SDXC issues. The card all have the same physical interface, but the header info that the card sends to the reader is different. I suggest you do some research on how the SD family of cards work.

As for LG saying 8GB capacity that may be a preliminary spec. Hard to say as I don't see the LG800G on the LG site.

Feedback Score
    It can't? It looks so odd. You know what I'm talking about. Why would one of the pins
    be much longer and one much shorter? It looks like it is designed to short/reduce
    the chip capacity/access.

Can you post a link to the microSD slots or holders. Whatever the industry calls them.

You say it's a firmware limitation. Hard coded or upgradeable? That gets back to
    would the LG update tool remove that limitation? It might not even run. Some of them
    check to see what you want to upgrade and if not upgradeable, stop.

LG Developers site:

http://developer.lgmobile.com/lge.md...ePhoneList.dev

http://developer.lgmobile.com/lge.md...ESC&rowSize=12

http://developer.lgmobile.com/lge.md...ESC&rowSize=12

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWV View Post

Both the third and fourth "fingers" will make contact with pin 6 of the microSD card. Pin 6 is voltage ground for the card. My guess is one of the "finger" will provide ground for the memory card and the other one is use by the phone to detect the present/absence of a memory card. Nothing to do with memory capacity.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Jimmy, notice the T310 specs you linked say 4GB for the SD card?
    The T310 specs also mention the 20MB user memory.
    Finally the The 800G you linked mentions "FlashLite" which the T310 doesn't.

So, I don't know what that 800G is, but I don't think it's the TF model.
    The TF LG800G resemble the T310 much more closely.

Also, I don't see the LG500G or the LG900G that TF/NET10 offer.
    I do see similar phone, like the C100 and the GW300. It would be odd for them to list the 800G seperately but not the other two.

Finally, I say it's a software limt because the SD spec has 3 limits currently:
    SDSC = 2GB
    SDHC = 32GB
    SDXC = 2TB

Any limit not on those boundries is a function of the device software and/or host controller.

Here are the pinout specs. As you can see none of the pins could be used to limit capacity.
    http://www.interfacebus.com/MicroSD_Card_Pinout.html

That extra crocked contact you see is a second connection to pin Ground (VSS) and is probably use as a card detect.
    But the other 8 contacts are all normal.

Phones
    BlackBerry Z10
    BlackBerry Z10
    HKC Tablet
    Carriers
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

I've got an LG900G and it can "see" an 8gb card (and it's contents) as well as the 4gb card that it came with.

It reports the memory back as being a 4gb card, but it can address and see everything on my (nearly full) 8gb card.

I imagine that the 800G is similar, just suffering from a software size issue (similar to a lot of palms a few years ago... my old Centro does the same thing)

Feedback Score
    I'm not surprised. A couple of years ago I tried to transfer contacts from one Tracfone to another via Datapilot. Phone wouldn't recognize cable or allow for Bluetooth transfers. Ended up using a SIM reader.

Finally got a data cable. I plugged it in. computer said it was installing drivers. Phone asked me if to use as Mass Storage. PC asked about opening folders. That was with the 4 GB card installed.

When I pulled it out, and tried to run LG Mobile Support Tool
    Customer Support
    Phone Update
    The USB cable and your cellphone are not connected.
    Please connect your phone and wait for connecting
    the USB port for a while and press the 'Restart' button.

No one has claimed to be using an 8 GB card. End of story for me.

Says whatever Tracfone or LG has done to the phone, it isn't going to read an 8 GB card.

Phones
    LG Optimus
    LG Optimus semi-smartphone
    Had a Samsung Moment
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ...While I can't speak to the LG800g's limitations, I CAN speak to mfg'ers artificially 'limiting' or crippling things they sell. A computer co. we dealt with when I was a sysadmin sent us some motherboards that had SPACE for a third memory slot...but none there ! Oh, and all the motherboards were supposed to be the same ? They were not. A repair tech wouldn't believe me till I showed him...