Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 800G. Is anyone using a QR code reader on the 800G?

Feedback Score

800G. Is anyone using a QR code reader on the 800G?

Getjar has some Data Matrix readers, but no QR readers.

Anyone find one that works on the 800G?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyWV View Post
    Getjar has some Data Matrix readers, but no QR readers. Anyone find one that works on the 800G?
    What is a QR code reader? For that matter, what is a data matrix reader?

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    800 does not have java class permissions for an app to take control of the camera to take a snapshot of the QR (Quick Results) code.

But, if they ever release a phone does allow camera permissions: http://www.snapmaze.com/?q=node/7

A QR is another form of the old bar code, but can contain more info, like names, web URL's and other small amounts of info. Folks are planting them on web sites, and on packages, in hopes you will use your phone to zap the code, the reader reads it, and now you have some ones address in your address book, web site in your book marks, or whisked off to a companies web site for more info, all my taking a picture...

Data matrix reader is a something that can read QR codes and other codes like QR.

Feedback Score
    Than You. I found one that seemed to require me to take a picture, then sent the picture to a web site.
    As, I'm still getting used to the phone, that seemed that a lot of work.
    However, since it may be a work around the 800G's limitation's, I may give it a try.

Thanks for the link to Snapmaze. Perhaps the next phone.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    How about one that can read the photo from the filesystem?

So, take the pic, save it, then open the app and load the pic.

Feedback Score
    I tried: scanr, J2MEQRCode, J2MEDataMatrix, QRCode.

Access Denied, or Don't Have Rights to access the camera or stored pictures.

Sad, apparently it is an programming issue. Not inherent in the phone itself.
    Even Walmart is putting QR codes on product displays.
    And no matter what store I'm in people are scanning barcodes and checking reviews and prices.

End of experiment.

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score

Any More Info on This?

Just curious. I'd like to have this as well for shopping purposes.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

The QR code software needs to access the camera on the phone to work. As in post 3, all Trac/Net10phones, not just the LG800G, with a camera are programmed at the firmware level (trumps software requests) to deny access to the camera function to 3rd party applications.

Plus, the lack of lensing / focus on these cameras might be too distorting for it to work anyway. One time I took a Tracfone apart thinking the clear window on the outer shell of the phone itself might be the source of distortion. Nope.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Apps can access the filesystem though. So it should be possible to take a pic, and have an app that selects the file and looks it up.

I've taken pics close ups and they are plenty clear for a code reader.

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Apps can access the filesystem though. So it should be possible to take a pic, and have an app that selects the file and looks it up.

I've taken pics close ups and they are plenty clear for a code reader.
    That's what I was just wondering ST Dog. I tried using PING and the facebook app yesterday to send a pic to facebook though, and it never posted, while text only messages did. (Both attempts took 5 minutes. I bought unlimited this month, but may not do that in future months. I'd like to figure it out this month! )

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Interesting ST Dog....I remember trying file access through apps with the LG420 and it didn't work. But I did not aggressively pursuit it Too many variables and not enough minutes to waste Maybe the 800 is different?

Can you tell us which phones and which apps you have used with them that can send files to some where on the internet? I asked because I just came up with a 'what if' on QR codes, but was not able to post it yet as all of Howard Forums vanished for a while.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I haven't as I don't use data service on my phone. Too expensive with TF.

I did play with a FB app once, and it warned about permission to access something.
    But that was a while back.

I thought I attached a pic with Opera, but I don't have it on my phone anymore.

I do have a spreadsheet app (Micro Calc) that saves the sheets, but I'm not sure where/how.

This would all have been on my LG500G.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hi ST Dog and thanks for the input.

Okay not not attempting to see if a (as an any) file can be sent with an app out to the internet.

I don't have a Trac/Net10 at this time that is web capable, but if some one has (like the popular LG800G) a 3rd party browser installed, perhaps they can see if they are able to snap a pic of a QR, then send the picture using the browser http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

Back when I tried Opera mini 3, 4, and I think 5 on a LG420G, I was able to even save with them although the app supported saving downloads (another Tracfone restriction). Perhaps the LG80Gg will have better luck. Anyone?

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score

Have LG 800G with Unlimited Data

UPDATE: HERE IS THE WAY TO POST A PIC TO FACEBOOK (OR READ ALL THE WAYS THAT DON'T WORK BELOW), I'll get back to the QR Reader Thread Next.

Send your picture in a message to your facebook email account. Go here to find your particular and unique address: http://www.facebook.com/mobile/

When asked, use any of the email addresses associated with your facebook account, either your facebook email or your primary email account. As far as I can tell, which one you chose doesn't matter--I didn't have to go get the photo from an email account--the pic went straight to my wall. I have not figured out how to insert the caption, message, or description yet, as the message screen doesn't show up on my phone, that's an email tool. Anyone have insight on this one? As far as I can figure, to edit the message or caption, you'd have to send your pic to your email, edit in that info, then send it to your unique FB email posting address.

http://www.facebook.com/mobile/

--------------------------------------------
    OLD TRIALS: (I HOPE YOU SKIP ALL THESE, THEY DIDN'T WORK FOR ME).
    I can trial some things, was hoping for a solution for the photos issues--both facebook and QR Reader by now. Seems odd that it hasn't been discussed more broadly in reviews--this phone has been out for at least four months, and no one wants to upload photos to facebook with it or get help with shopping/coupons?

Browsers Installed/Results:
    Opera 6.1: handles FB poorly. Does not rec cam. No way to attach by file that I can see, as with the desktop FB photo attach options.
    Bitstream BOLT Browser Ver 2.52: handles FB better...you see all the screen as well as comments, and can "like", though it burns time. Trial for Bolt now: has "upload photo" option link in status bar. Says "Sorry, you do not have permission due to security reasons." I'm not sure what is unsecure about posting a photo to facebook or why there is a problem. I'll research.
    "Does BOLT support file uploading?
    Yes. BOLT supports uploading files over HTTP directly by selecting files from the device's local file directory. Upon submitting the form, the files are transported to the host server." from Bolt website FAQ.

APPS/Results:
    Facebook app: I'm trying to get used to figuring out all the FB functions by big icons. It looks cool, but I've not found it that useful as I keep clicking impertinent icons.
    ShoZu: LG not listed as a supported phone for this service. Tried Cingular/AT&T, as that is the towers my phone uses. Brings up a list of phones: Fuze and a lot of Cingular models. I don't know if any are compatible with a Net 10 Go Phone). I tried "phone not listed" and it said, "Sorry, but currently there is not a version of the ShoZu application available for your phone."
    Tried: "http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx": phone browser doesn't support this site. Let me try another browser.
    Other Work-Arounds I've Tried:
    Ping Account: tried uploading to post text to status update. Seemed to send fine, cost 5 minutes, never showed up on the wall.
    Facebook text to post: 5 minutes used, seemed to send fine, but never showed up on the wall.
    Last edited by Maggie5; 10-28-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Update Info

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Hello Maggie5,

A 'bit' of a path is all I can give, being I do not have a phone in hand

- Declare which phone model you have so we know what works or does not work.

- Download an install web browser of choice. Do not have it running at this time.

- Fire up the camera and take a picture of this QR code:
    http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...oes-it-say.gif

- Find out where the picture went in your phone and make a note of it. (on SD card? Internal memory? What folder, etc.)

- Exit camera mode and fire up the browser of choice and visit http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

- At this point you cannot see a " Browse " button- stop. Your browser is not able to handle the file submission script. Try another browser or give up.

- If you can, hit the browse button on the web page and see if any file access pops up in the phone. I believe this is where it will fail in that the phone will not permit file access. But...If the browser does have file access, note which folder (probably on the SD card if anywhere) the browser can access. It's not going to be like windows where you can access zillions of folders.

- If the above fails. You can (while off line) have the browser open and just wade through the menus and see if there is any hints of where 'downloaded files' would be stored. If you see nothing, or are adventurous, go online real quick and try to save or down load something small, and note where the browser save it. After saving, see if you can find the file somewhere within the phone. I suggest it be a file that the phone can identify with like a .JPG or .GIF. If it is a file it does not recognize, it may not want to 'register'.

In looking back at some old notes I made, I used Opera mini 5.1 and the set saved pages option was under 'advanced' did not work On my LG420G. However saving an image did. Where it was saved I don't know. But if you were ever to upload something, I'd guess that this would be the same location they would need to be stored in.

Okay, when you have time, let us know how far you got.

~Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast