Thread: (LG 800G) Pros & Cons of Bolt vs Opera Mini?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Question (LG 800G) Pros & Cons of Bolt vs Opera Mini?

I just got my 800G activated, and I'm itching to download some applications. I've been hearing around the forums of downloading Opera Mini or Bolt as a replacement browser. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these programs?

Carrier
    H2O, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I haven't used either one extensively, so that's my disclaimer and other folks might differ; but... In my limited use, I've started to like Bolt for when I need to access a full, regular PC-style webpage. And that I prefer Opera Mini when working with mobile-specific sites. Can't claim there's any real science behind my thought process, though. I'm moreso just going with my gut feeling.

That said, Opera Mini 4.3 is my go-to browser since I tend to use mostly stay with mobile sites.

Feedback Score
    Who said you had to choose. I had both loaded "Games and Apps."

Quote Originally Posted by Piqutchi View Post
    I just got my 800G activated, and I'm itching to download some applications. I've been hearing around the forums of downloading Opera Mini or Bolt as a replacement browser. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these programs?
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    You really should try them both - main advantage is that they load web pages much faster than the default browser of the phone. In some cases, they allow you to load things the default browser won't load at all - due to lack of memory, for example. A disadvantage - you can't put a widget for either Opera or Bolt (or any game/app for that matter) onto the phone's main page. You can put the widget for Games & Apps on the main screen, then launch Opera, Bolt or whatever from the Games & Apps menu.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by srt8mro View Post
    You really should try them both - main advantage is that they load web pages much faster than the default browser of the phone. In some cases, they allow you to load things the default browser won't load at all - due to lack of memory, for example. A disadvantage - you can't put a widget for either Opera or Bolt (or any game/app for that matter) onto the phone's main page. You can put the widget for Games & Apps on the main screen, then launch Opera, Bolt or whatever from the Games & Apps menu.
    I know; in fact, I've already put the "Games/Apps" widget on my homescreen!

I'm mainly looking for a rich browsing experience (like on most smartphones), so I'll look mainly at Bolt. Mobile sites would probably work better with the 800G's smaller screen, though, so who knows?

Phone
    LG 800G
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I personally like Opera because you can use QWERTY virtual keyboard. I don't know about Bolt though.
    ebildude123 was here...

Feedback Score
    You can use the virtual qwerty with Bolt. Bolt allows you use of all four input formats. Handwriting, installed virtual qwerty, t9 text, basic text (not sure this is the correct term).

Quote Originally Posted by ebildude123 View Post
    I personally like Opera because you can use QWERTY virtual keyboard. I don't know about Bolt though.

Feedback Score

Bolt Vs. Opera Mini

I have comparison here if you want to view which is really better, the bolt or the operamini
    Opera mini is one of the most trusted browsers for mobile devices. The bolt browser is the one of the closest and toughest competitors of opera mini.

Opera mini best features for:
    1. Bookmark management
    2. Password management-saving the password and keeping the cookies
    3. Download and upload management-simple, separate window for the download content
    4. Speed and traffic cost- bbc.com took only 4.5sec to load
    5. copy and paste text
    6. Page rendering-best
    overall ratings-4.7/5

Bolt Browser best features for:
    1. Paltform support-uses JAVA MIDP
    2. copy nad paste text-makes the usage pretty simple and usable
    3. settings
    overall ratings-3.7/5

I guess the answer is now more clearer to us, for me its the Operamini. But it depends also to
    the user and the phone that he uses, which one is better and most suitable that he can use.

For further information and provider of answers, please do visit these site
    http://www.techyv.com/questions/what...ramini-or-bolt

Hope this help you.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I have both installed and use them both. I do like the bookmark management on Bolt better (sorry kikiyochan), just my personal preference to have them all on one list when it opens. I agree with previous statements and like to use Opera for mobile/WAP websites with the really nice qwerty keyboard and using Bolt for normal web sites. Both are good in their own respects so why not keep both on your phone? The only thing I do not like about Opera is that some web sites think you're coming in from outside the US because the Opera servers that tweak/re-size the web page before sending it to your phone are located overseas (UK I think). Whenever I tried to access the mobile web site for Google Voice it kept telling me it was only for US residents, no problem accessing it using Bolt. Google Mail also sends me an alert whenever I use Opera to access my email accounts. I forget what other site didn't like me coming in from outside the US and wouldn't let me have access. Other than that, I like them both.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Opera 4.3 (on my LG800G) doesn't remember my passwords, so the "pro" comment about password management must refer to Opera 6, correct?