Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the average data usage for 4G users?

Carriers
    AT&T
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

What's the average data usage for 4G users?

Considering the average data usage for 3G users is around 500MB/month, what is it for 4G users? I know my LTE connection is, at times, 20-25x faster than my AT&T 3G phone.

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I consume 10GB per month and that's only because I'm holding back.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t6821hn View Post
    I consume 10GB per month and that's only because I'm holding back.
    He he, and people wonder why carriers feel pressured to come up with ways to control usage.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Verizon's 4G is very fast. It's liable to become the primary internet connect for many of it's users. I would say Verizon's 4G average per user is slightly higher than Clearwire's 4G average--currently 7-10GB per user per month.

http://www.sidecutreports.com/2011/0...bscriber-mark/

I'm sure there are some people pushing this 4G stuff to the limits. Some users are probably averaging ~6.5TB a month at 20Mbps. 10-20GB average per user seems logical.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have two Thunderbolts and both average between 700 MB - 1 GB per month, although last month with the bad update that caused random reboots, I had to do a factory reset on the phone, so I had to re-download all of my apps and that pushed my usage up to just over 2 GB.

And I never turn on WiFi on my phone (except for times like downloading Plants vs. Zombies from the Amazon App Store and they require you to use WiFi since the app is over 70 MB).

By comparison, prior to the Thunderbolt I was using a Droid 1 and I averaged about 500 MB per month. My daughter has a Droid Incredible and she uses about 1.5 GB per month.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm around 3-5GB. That's without tethering.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wow. These numbers are much higher than I thought. 2GB for $29.95 is going to be a real problem for tiered 4G users.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With todays smartphones it isn't hard to use a lot of data. 10GB's isn't that much. For instance, a quick test on my EVO shows Netflix uses ~200MB/hour.(newer higher res screens may use more) A lot of people stream music for several hours a day. I listen to podcasts that are 50MB's a pop. Toss in youtube, crackle, Vevo, Tango, and any number of data intensive apps and it's not hard to use a lot of data. This isn't abuse, it's use. It's one thing for people to tether and use it to download torrents, I agree those folks need to be stopped. LTE is the right tech to manage bandwidth more efficiently. But Verizon isn't taking advantage of that, they are just using it to get more money by sucking up there tiny 2GB block.

Phone
    Motorola Droid, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2 Global in both black & white
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ensnare View Post
    Considering the average data usage for 3G users is around 500MB/month, what is it for 4G users? I know my LTE connection is, at times, 20-25x faster than my AT&T 3G phone.
    You must not use your phone much if you're only using 500MB/month. on 3G I average 2GB to 3GB per month with light use. 6GB with normal use.

With 4G, I racked up 10GB in 8 days of light use!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    On our family plan the highest user hit 9GB for one month of 3G.

Not sure how much we will use on 4G, but I can imagine 20GB would be no problem.

Most months I am around 3-5GB on 3G.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I understand music.....but I still haven't figured out why you'd want to stream movies on a phone.....unless you're tethering. Seems like a waste of data. I typically use my WiFi when I can and I go through 2GB a month.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1994 View Post
    I understand music.....but I still haven't figured out why you'd want to stream movies on a phone.....unless you're tethering. Seems like a waste of data. I typically use my WiFi when I can and I go through 2GB a month.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    Anyone riding a train or a bus, teens in a car with parents, whenever you're stuck waiting for something or on a lunch break at work or something else. Plenty of possible reasons for video streaming even if the screen is small.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My wife burnt today through 300mb on her phone i don't know what she did but its amazing how fast data gets consumed.

Phone
    Droid X
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I use between 2.5gb and 3gb on 3G and that is with me using wifi some of the time. I can only imagine what damage I can do on 4G especially because of slacker being able to stream a higher quality file over 4g.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
    Anyone riding a train or a bus, teens in a car with parents, whenever you're stuck waiting for something or on a lunch break at work or something else. Plenty of possible reasons for video streaming even if the screen is small.
    I have done this. I can't use Netflix (hasn't been released for my phone) but I'll watch documentaries in pieces on YouTube. Perfect for long car rides. I also often watch music videos with friends when I'm out and about and want to show them new music.

It's definitely nice being able to watch videos once in a while on the go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast