Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked Phone with WIFI Calling?

Feedback Score

Unlocked Phone with WIFI Calling?

Ladies and Gentlemen...

I am going to be switching to TMobile due to the WIFI Calling feature...I am currently on Boost... I have a few questions...

If I buy an unlocked GSM Android Phone with Keyboard is it possible to put the WIFI calling app on it, is it automatically pushed to the phone, or is it not possible to do if you bring a phone in?If not should I just stick to the TMobile branded Androids?

Also do any of these phones include free navigation like the Boost phones do?

Once I buy one of these phones I just buy a sim and activate? All my phones have been tdma or cdma so I am out of the loop.

The reason I put this in the PrePaid forum is I am going to be using the prepaid plans.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    All android phones can use WiFi Calling. Even the boost prevail. You can even buy apps from the android market to use your 3g data connection to make calls via your Google voice account if you have one. If you decide to get ANY android from any prepaid service provider you'll need a Gmail account. If your new android breaks into a million pieces you can sign in on a new android phone with your Gmail account and all your purchases will sync to your new phone. Are you aware boosts monthly unlimited plans have shrinkage? If your changing providers due to cost stay with boost and get the prevail. Over 2 years you'll save more money with boost than you will paying for monthly unlimited anywhere else and over those 2 years you'll basically have gotten the prevail for free from your savings on the plan. If service is the reason your leaving boost, check the new companies prepaid coverage map to see you'll have coverage at home, work and in-between, if that's a determining factor. If its bad coverage with the sprint network where you are then stay away from virgin mobile too as they use the same towers. Virgin has the cheapest unlimited data and messaging plan out there at $25/month. But with that you get 300 minutes. $40 gets you 1200 mins and unlimited messaging and data. If you want unlocked GSM phone then try Simple Mobile. More expensive and no unlimited, capped at 2 gigs I think, but it is BYOD and they have a list of compatible phones.

Good luck.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks I did notice the shrinkage from boost but it has one minor problem...No voice roaming...TMobile does...I rather pay a few extra dollars to have the roaming ..I believe I was misunderstood...I was referring to the T Mobile app that allows you to use your phone over wifi if you have bad coverage... Can any android do that or just the TMobile branded ones?

Feedback Score
    I also believe its called UMA?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am not positive but I believe all T-Mobile branded Androids do.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Right, it has to be a T-Mobile Android phone. The Vibrant, G2, mytouch 4G, G2x, Optimius T, etc.

I have used the G2, myTouch 4G, and Vibrant for wifi-calling and they all work great. The Vibrant just needs to be updated to 2.2 (official update) to use it.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you get a branded phone we can tell you which is capable of running the app.

But you can't just install it on any phone that didn't come with it. The Nexus One is an exception and there may be others, but it's not universal. The Optimus T ships with Froyo and WiFi calling.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    It's possible to run the wifi calling app on the hd2 in android too. I do it all the time on mine. Works very well.

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The Wifi app also uses your minutes on TMobile Prepaid.
    It just happens to be unlimited on the two unlimited plans ($50 and $70) but on the $30 plan and pay as you go you use minutes.

I have a Vibrant and when I am not on unlimited plan I use Groove IP ($2 on Amazon Market) with mixed results.

Feedback Score
    Not every Android from T-Mobile can do that, I have a T-Mobile My Touch 4G which can do T-Mobile Wifi calling, however the LG Optimus T that I own doesn't have the T-Mobile Wifi Calling, I even searched for it the Android Market/App store.

Keep in mind it uses your airtime unless you have an unlimited plan and the nice thing about wifi calling on T-Mobile it works when you are roaming in another country with out roaming charges.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The Optimus T does have UMA (WiFi) calling. I just bought one for my daughter and it connects to our WiFi network just fine fr calling. It does use your plan minutes, if you are on prepaid, but it does give you better reception in bad reception areas.

You don't need to add an app to get this functionality on the Optimus T, it is built-in.

Phone
    Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    kinda off topic. but will a htc sensation on simple mobile be able to use wifi caliing?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Wifi calling as in skype, etc, yes.

T-mobile Wifi calling, no. It only works on T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid plans.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    The Wifi app also uses your minutes on TMobile Prepaid.
    It just happens to be unlimited on the two unlimited plans ($50 and $70) but on the $30 plan and pay as you go you use minutes.

I have a Vibrant and when I am not on unlimited plan I use Groove IP ($2 on Amazon Market) with mixed results.
    If you're on the old grandfathered $1 per day plan with T-Mobile calling and free evenings, would wifi calling be free as well?

Feedback Score
    Yes, pay $1 and it is free. Got evenings on Optimus working over WiFi, have to assume T-Mobile to T-Mobile works also. And I have to agree with silentjudge that Simple Mobile does not support the T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling app, but that is based upon information rather than personal experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast