Thread: AT&T LG gs390 go phone

Feedback Score

AT&T LG gs390 go phone

Not sure if this is where this belongs but i need some info. I recently purchased a LG gs390 go phone and bought a unlock code for it. The code worked and it said unlocked then retstarted. I switched to a Net10 sim i had from another phone but it says "sim invalid check gophone". I bought this phone for my wife to use on straight talk but i dont want to buy a straight talk sim if its not gonna work. I have seen people posting that it works with straight talk but im not sure if there phone is different from mine. My phone is a go phone and might have different firmware..just not sure. Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance. Also i was wondering if there is a code to get into settings to change carrier. have seen this on other phones but cant find anything for this phone. i have tried 2495#*390# and it says error. also tried 33464#*# and nothing either.

Thanks again for any info

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you activated service on that GoPhone, the original SIM card and the phone are locked together. Unlocking the phone itself would have no effect upon the locking of the SIM card to the specific phone. If you just wanted the phone, you should not have activated GoPhone service. An AT&T phone need not be unlocked to work on Straight Talk since Straight Talk uses the AT&T network. There is a caveat to using Straight Talk service in a phone from another carrier. Straight Talk only sells SIM cards along with a handset. The only handsets which allow you to move its SIM card to another phone are the Nokia E71 and Nokia 6790. Since you have to purchase one of those phones to get the SIM card, your wife may as well use one of those phones.

The other GSM phones sold by Straight Talk will not allow you to interchange phones or SIM cards. They are much less expensive than the two models which do. Even with those two Nokia phones mentioned above, they will not accept another SIM card, even another Straight Talk SIM card.
    Last edited by efparri; 06-25-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    The gophone service was never activated. The sim card was inserted but the actual service was never activated. My wife just browsed around the phone and stuff. Does this mean that the phone is still locked?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps the very act of turning on the phone with the SIM card inserted locks the two together. The phone is not locked to the network, it is locked to the SIM card it came with. If you insert a nonGoPhone SIM card into a GoPhone, the phone is not locked to that SIM card. There is a difference betwen having a locked phone, which will only work with any SIM card from the network to which it is locked, and locking a SIM card to a specific phone. In the latter case, the phone could be carrier unlocked but still locked to the specific SIM card.

Feedback Score
    what if i exchange the phone for a new one and never insert the sim in it. Is it possible to still put the unlock code in it with out having a AT&T sim in it? Can i just put the Net 10 sim in and use the unlock code even if the net 10 sim wont work after unlocking?

Feedback Score
    Sorry for double post but is it possible this phone is sim locked or gophone locked before even turning it on?

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4Sx2,Palm Pixi Plus
    Nokia Lumia 520, 3220, 6030, 3585i
    Carrier
    GoPhonex4 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel AV
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremeone98 View Post
    Sorry for double post but is it possible this phone is sim locked or gophone locked before even turning it on?
    I got an LG Prime GS390 GoPhone few months ago and have it unlocked as well. It works fine with my t-mobile prepaid sim. Even tzones and MMS after tweaking the settings.

If you never inserted the GoPhone SIM that came with the phone and power it on everything should be fine. And even if you did that only locks the GoPhone SIM to that phone, not the other way around, although the GoPhone account for that SIM would have gotten the balance credit ($15 now, it used to be $50).

You cannot used Net10 SIMs in any phone other than the Net10 phone is activated with. They do lock to each other. I'm not familiar with Straight Talk so I can't say about that.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There would be little reason to lock only the SIM card. The phone is the object of value and not the SIM card. Obviously the other SIM card did not work in the GoPhone purchased by the Original Poster. That would indicate that the phone was locked to the GoPhone Sim card. Since the warning had "GoPhone" in it, the error was caused by GoPhone and not Net10. As I indicated earlier, the phone will not lock to any other SIM card if that SIM card is inserted into the phone first.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply...will continue looking into straight talk issue.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hoping this may help you out. I'm a straight talk user and know some about the situation. Net10 Sims can not be used in other phones besides net10. They are locked together. The Sims are locked to only work with their phones. Only straighttalk offers 2 phones that have unlocked Sims that you can use in unlocked/att phones. The Nokia e71 and the Nokia 6970 or whatever its called. Both are St smartphones. Your out of luck with a net10 sim. I took my Nokia e71 sim and put it in an att thrive and with some apn changes, works great. Only thing is to get a St unlocked sim, you have to buy either smartphone that comes with one And activate the service with the phone. Once activated put the sim in the phone you wanna use. But the St phone you activated with can NOT be sold or deactivated from your account or it will be terminated. Hope that helps. A lot.of info about it in Tue straight talk forum.

Sent from my LG-P506 using HowardForums

Carriers
    att
    virgin
    Feedback Score

Lg prime gs 390 factory service menu

I was bored . Dial 1809#*390# and wahlah. U get your factory mode all the test modes updates screen capture and a whole lot more