Thread: Kin OneM or TwoM?

Feedback Score

Kin OneM or TwoM?

Has anyone has success of getting either of these phone to work on Page Plus?

I've searched and searched the FAQs and Wikis and did not find anything.

I really like the design of the OneM!!
    Last edited by CorradoJr; 07-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    I wouldnt waste time with those phones. My wife activated a kin one, no problem, except for one. Since it was not on verizon, it could not sync to the cloud services which was the only good feature on the phone. Now the new m series im not sure about, but I would suggest a pre plus if you like the form factor and everything works.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I am new but searching and learning things, so please bear with this question. Why do you suggest the Palm Pre Plus? Do Palms have a better success rate of working with Page Plus?

Question #2. It seems a popular phone is the Palm Pixi Plus. (I really like option of WiFi.)

Between Kin OneM, Pre Plus, or Pixi Plus, which would you recommend??

Feedback Score
    My wife had a pre plus after gettimg rid of her kin. Its a good phone that could be bought cheap. I suggested it because it is the same form factor as the kin, portrait slider qwerty. The thing she didnt like was the app market, very small compared to android. It activates with no problem, just clear out the emergency dial and put in *22890. We've also had htc eris, incredible and are now using samsung fascinate. The incredible have us a little problem activating, but not a big deal. It all comes down to what you are willing to spend and what smartphone os you want. My os recommendation is android. Sub $100 phones are eris, ally, droid and devour. Best of those I think is the eris or droid. I found the droid to be very bulky and had a crappy keyboard.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using HowardForums

Phones
    Samsung R451c
    Moto Q 9c
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My daughter has been using the Kin One on pp for about a year. She loves it. True, you cannot connect to the Kin Studio but the only problem that has created is that you can't easily download your pictures off the phone. My daughter just emails pictures to herself that she wants to print or use. Calling, sms, mms and web work straight out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Well, we got a Kin OneM for my wife last week and I went with a Palm Pixi Plus (for half the price) Currently were are both on the $29.95 TnT plan (ported over from Verizon.)

The Kin OneM is a nice phone, just has some limited features. Our last phones were LG Chocolate (1st generation), so anything is going to seem "nice" to us at this point. We never had "data" before so the entire concept is very handy to use once in a while, althought we try to use WiFi whenever possible.

Recently she seems to not be able to sync her Yahoo Email properly. Incoming emails work fine, Outgoing emails do not send and result in error messages.

I've experimented with a Gmail account and that seems to send/receive fine so I believe at this point something is happening specifically with Yahoo. The SMTP/IMAP/POP thing is like Greek to me, but hoping the issue resolves itself or we find a way to go around via the IMAP access.

Anyone else have a Yahoo email problem?

Phone
    LG Rumour,Samsung I770,Samsung I760
    Carrier
    Page Plus, Bell Canada
    Feedback Score
    I am thinking of getting the Kin TWOm for my daughter but I need some info. I have read the owners manual and unless I missed it somewhere it doesn't say if you are able to turn data on/off. It does say about turning roaming data off so is there a function for this? The other question is for the same reason, are you able to download programs such as NODATA and run it on this unit. Again unless I was sleeping while reading I could not where you are able to download and run an app. The data is not important to her except in emergencies where she made need to look up a phone number or something. She is presently is using a Samsung I760 and checks her email once a day and that's it. She is in college and really only wants the phone to to talk and text, internet is a minor bonus but only if we can turn it on/off as needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadyoh View Post
    I am thinking of getting the Kin TWOm for my daughter but I need some info. I have read the owners manual and unless I missed it somewhere it doesn't say if you are able to turn data on/off. It does say about turning roaming data off so is there a function for this? The other question is for the same reason, are you able to download programs such as NODATA and run it on this unit. Again unless I was sleeping while reading I could not where you are able to download and run an app. The data is not important to her except in emergencies where she made need to look up a phone number or something. She is presently is using a Samsung I760 and checks her email once a day and that's it. She is in college and really only wants the phone to to talk and text, internet is a minor bonus but only if we can turn it on/off as needed. Any help would be appreciated.
    This is for the Kin OneM, but I assume the same applies for the the TwoM also as most of the internals are the same-

1. There is no way to download apps, at least that the average person knows about. There may be some way to "mod/hack" the phone, but I'm not really instersted in that.

2. There is no way to turn data/3G "off" at the phone level. (You can block it at the carrier level by talking to customer service but this defeats the purpose.) You can choose when to "sync" the email frequency. (Manual, 15 minutes, hourly, etc.) My wife checks her Yahoo Email a few times a day and has it set on the "manual" sync mode. When she is in a Wifi area, this is when she checks her email and its been so far, so good for the past two weeks using almost no data - relying solely on the various Wifi areas in our home, at work, Starbucks, etc. Same applies for web browsing too. Just stick to Wifi areas, wait for the phone to connect to a Wifi spot, and you should be ok. We don't do facebook or IM, so I can't comment on those things. But email and web work on data only when we want them too.

Hope this helps. At first, I couldn't believe Microsoft/Sharp made such a poor design decision to not include a way to shut off data usage at the phone. But after a few days, we've discovered ways to work around it. Of course, with the original intent being a social networking teen-targeted phone, IM, texting, facebook, etc. non-stop, I can imagine how this would constantly be using data 24/7.