Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5-digit short codes don't work with Virgin Mobile prepaid

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

5-digit short codes don't work with Virgin Mobile prepaid

I have an LG Opimus V, Virgin Mobile prepaid plan, unlimited data/messaging, and I cannot receive messages from a specific 5-digit shortcode, 72727, which I use for business. I've tried other shortcodes, 6-digit ones, which worked fine. I am able to send a text to 72727, which is received on the other end, and a response is sent, but it never reaches my phone.

Virgin Mobile customer service keep saying they'll unblock this code on my phone (why block it the first place?), and when I call back they say they've unblocked it already, however, it never works. They keep playing the "troubleshooting ticket" game and they never fix it. I'm at my wits end. I don't even know exactly what to call this so they understand it. Or how to talk to the right person ... the reps that pick up don't know what I'm talking about.

If you don't mind testing your VM prepaid phone for me, please text "vmtest" to 72727. It should send you back a "Success" response, that's it. This is not a premium code, only standard messaging rates may apply. It works on my other, non-VM phones, but not this one.

If you know how I can get VM to unblock this short code for me, please let me know. Also, if your VM prepaid phone works for that code, that would also be valuable info for me.

Phone
    The Original LG Optimus V with 2.2.1. :)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmtucson View Post
    I have an LG Opimus V, Virgin Mobile prepaid plan, unlimited data/messaging, and I cannot receive messages from a specific 5-digit shortcode, 72727, which I use for business. I've tried other shortcodes, 6-digit ones, which worked fine. I am able to send a text to 72727, which is received on the other end, and a response is sent, but it never reaches my phone.

Virgin Mobile customer service keep saying they'll unblock this code on my phone (why block it the first place?), and when I call back they say they've unblocked it already, however, it never works. They keep playing the "troubleshooting ticket" game and they never fix it. I'm at my wits end. I don't even know exactly what to call this so they understand it. Or how to talk to the right person ... the reps that pick up don't know what I'm talking about.

If you don't mind testing your VM prepaid phone for me, please text "vmtest" to 72727. It should send you back a "Success" response, that's it. This is not a premium code, only standard messaging rates may apply. It works on my other, non-VM phones, but not this one.

If you know how I can get VM to unblock this short code for me, please let me know. Also, if your VM prepaid phone works for that code, that would also be valuable info for me.
    "...Opting in is when a customer joins a group by sending a text message containing your KEYWORD to our SHORTCODE. Once opted-in the customer has agreed to receive messages from the given group joined. ..."
    Virgin Evolution: Kyocera X-TC {167ppi}-> Rumor Touch {155ppi}-> Samsung Intercept {146ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi}-> LG Optimus V {180ppi}-> Motorola Triumph {228ppi} LG Optimus V {180ppi}->-> ???
    Current main device: Asus Nexus 7 32 GB {216}
    My next phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on TMo??? {265ppi} Getting less sure. Leaning towards Nexus 4 {318 ppi}

Feedback Score
    I tested it and got no response, sure it's a valid code? I tested my radio station code 43981 and got response in 3 seconds. (send "last" and get last 3 songs played, you might test it). My codes did not work until I called them to turn them on.... why they are off to start with it strange.

Googling that code looks like it's a marketing code, doesn't sound like a good idea to "test".

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, your radio station's code works for me too, so the problem is not with 5-digit codes in general, but this specific short code. BTW, about the code: it is a third-party shared code that marketers use to set up mobile coupon and alert campaigns for businesses, such as restaurants, etc. The "vmtest" code is one that I set up last night for this testing purpose on that short code, and you should receive one instant reply. Some numbers have come in, thanks for testing, and I will delete all such numbers, don't worry. But because you didn't receive my instant reply through this shortcode tells me that all VM prepaid phones block it, not just mine. So that's good for me to know, at least.

The operator of the code says they have provisioning with major carriers, including Virgin Mobile, so there shouldn't be a problem. However, it looks like VM does block it on prepaid, and I just need to figure out how to get them to actually unblock it on my phone, and not just say they will unblock it (it's been a month, 10 reps).

Feedback Score
    Yeah, forget getting any help from their tech support.
    Did the provisioning agreement with VM cost the short code provider any money? Did they get a contact number?

Feedback Score
    I suspect this is the root of some other txt problems I have seen also. A lot of codes work (that radio station one and the Coke rewards one), but some don't. Some examples:

- I tried getting a Gap code for one of the sales they had, but I never got a reply while my wife's T-Mobile prepaid phone worked fine.
    - I cannot seem to get my Citi CC mobile alert to work while my discover card alerts work fine.
    - I cannot get the Facebook Login approval to work, I never get sent a code

If you ever figure this out please update. thanks

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Short codes have to be made available at the network level. There's nothing any of us can do to make them available other than ask CS to make them work.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The short code provider may have had to pay them, I don't know. It looks like the only solution is to get the short code provider to "get" VM to open up this shortcode like they said they would.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Short codes have to be made available at the network level. There's nothing any of us can do to make them available other than ask CS to make them work.
    The question is, what do you do when Customer Service is not capable of making them work after 30 days of promising they will.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was getting code text on my Optimus from Facebook until 2 weeks ago. Now my Facebook account is locked and FB wants full color hi res copy of my driver's license to give me access to my FB acct. VM is supposed to be working on it. I receive text from all other short codes, like my banks. I will not give FB my driver's license and if this is the worst thing VM ever does to me I will stay with them even if they raise rates. No contract, good little phone and much cheaper than AT&T.

Feedback Score
    This is really bad I need this for business. PagePlus here I come......

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This may come across as really awful, but if you *need* a phone for business, I do not believe VM is the way to go. Too many issues and not reliable enough. If my ability to earn a living was tied to my phone, I would have a phone from a major carrier.

For those of us who *want* a phone, who find it useful and handy, VM is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    I use to get citi text banking, not any more. Stoopid vm customer service is no help

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Update: it now works (that shortcode with Virgin Mobile prepaid)!!!! After 4 months...

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    VM is blocking the text that you get when you try to validate Samsung's ChatON application. I may have to go to PagePlus too now that they have a usable data plan! But I'm waiting to see the new Nokia windows phones coming out in a few months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast