Thread: GSM coverage in Nebraska

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

GSM coverage in Nebraska

I love the idea of SIM cards. But I"m concerned with how the coverage is in Nebraska (specifically Lincoln.) Does Straight Talk when using GSM run off of AT&T, and roam when there isn't AT&T coverage? (For example in Scottsbluff NE AT&T roams on Viaero.)

Feedback Score
    straight talk does not roam - http://www.straighttalk.com/FAQ

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk GSM roams but Straight Talk CDMA does not.
    9. ROAMING: “Roaming” occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the network facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming usually occurs when a subscriber places or receives a call while outside of the network coverage area of their wireless service provider.

Service on the CDMA Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the CDMA network, your Straight Talk phone will not roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk CDMA network coverage area.

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    I've been in Lincoln a few times with a AT&T SIMed Tracfone and a PPC phone on Verizon and a T-Mo2Go phone, all had strong signals there. My niece lives in Gretna, no problem with cell service of any kind at her house.

All had strong signals westward on I80 to the Wyoming line and beyond.

The last time I was in Scotts Bluff was before bag phones were introduced. The town is big enough that there should not be problems with service there either.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Awesome! I love the T-404G and am looking to switch from Cricket. Thanks guys!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Buy the phone from WalMart, local or on-line. Within the 14 day return period you have nothing to loose but the remainder of the 30 day airtime. Online orders can be returned to a local store.

You do not want to put yourself through a bought direct from ST return.

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    My wife is on the iPhone with the e71 sim no problems in any part of Nebraska but the key to remember is AT&T is ONLY native in Omaha and Lincoln proper. Hwy81 s of York is a complete dead zone

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beet View Post
    My wife is on the iPhone with the e71 sim no problems in any part of Nebraska but the key to remember is AT&T is ONLY native in Omaha and Lincoln proper. Hwy81 s of York is a complete dead zone
    Just to clarify..straight talk will use other gsm carriers if ATT isn't available? I'm in the Omaha area but occasionally get out to the rural areas

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Yes it roams fine. Strange things at times like txt messages not coming in, the valley of death at 160th and Dodge and York, NE to the KS state line but otherwise in Viaero areas works great.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Just to clarify..straight talk will use other gsm carriers if ATT isn't available? I'm in the Omaha area but occasionally get out to the rural areas
    Straight Talk GSM phones WILL roam off of their primary AT&T or T-Mobile provider. The two Nokias use ONLY AT&T as their primary provider.

Straight Talk CDMA phones will NOT roam (Verizon only).

Tracfone/Net10 phones are different in that BOTH GSM and CDMA phones will roam.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So I should be fine almost anywhere in the state? I'm in the middle of nowhere right now, where my current Cricket phone is useless, (near Utica NE). I like ST's GSM phones better than their CDMA phones...