Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG800 opera mini - which version?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

LG800 opera mini - which version?

Thanks everyone for all the great posts re: using this phone. I really appreciate the info on opera mini. Wasn't going to even bother to use the internet with the phone cause in the past phones were sooooooo slow. You will get a laugh from this:

When I first saw posts re opera mini I actually thought it was something to do with the opera: so I just ignored it. So now I have downloaded version 4.3 and the phone is quite fast (totally amazed). Is there any reason to get 6.0?? So far I haven't been able to find it anyway.

Would I have to delete 4.3 and go back to the original browser to look for 6.0?
    Thanks for any suggestions. This is my first touchscreen and I am a senior so will use that as my excuse for ignorance. Thanks

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    You can download both, the 6.0 and 4.3 and have them on the phone at the same time.
    At the time I had 6.0 I didn't know you could change it from qwerty. I found the qwerty so small I had trouble with it so I deleted it and kept the 4.3. I detected no difference in speed between the two.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here's another question I forgot to ask. What is the browser running on?
    Is it the 3G stuff? Sorry - not up on this topic.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    Here's another question I forgot to ask. What is the browser running on?
    Is it the 3G stuff? Sorry - not up on this topic.
    Comes with EDGE (2.5G). Top speed is 200Kbps, real world speed more like 90 Kbps.

Feedback Score
    I recently got an LG800G, and I prefer the Opera Mini 6 because it has tabs and offers to remember my log-ins. I had to search for the signed version as someone on these forums pointed out. But it was worth it. Anybody know of an navigation apps that will work? I've discovered 5 that don't!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

GPS and a question about Opera

I also tried a bunch of GPS based map programs in my LG8000 but none of them worked correctly. There must be a GPS chip in the phone; US law requires it for 911 calls. The problem is that it seems to be locked, damn it.
    I also tried the less accurate navigation programs that referance cell towers to find your location, but these don't work either. The only app I've successfully used is Google maps.
    Question: The way the phone comes it has a nice qwerty keyboard. If I change to Opera v.6 will the keyboard be smaller?
    If anyone knows of navigation, weather radar or other apps (except games) for this phone, please let me know.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Reynolds View Post
    I also tried a bunch of GPS based map programs in my LG8000 but none of them worked correctly. There must be a GPS chip in the phone; US law requires it for 911 calls. The problem is that it seems to be locked, damn it.
    I also tried the less accurate navigation programs that referance cell towers to find your location, but these don't work either. The only app I've successfully used is Google maps.
    Question: The way the phone comes it has a nice qwerty keyboard. If I change to Opera v.6 will the keyboard be smaller?
    If anyone knows of navigation, weather radar or other apps (except games) for this phone, please let me know.
    US law doesn't require a GPS chip, it requires that the mobile operator provide location information to the 911 system. AT&T and T-Mobile use tower triangulation to locate a phone for 911 and most AT&T, T-Mobile and presumably TracFone GSM phones do not have a GPS.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Regarding available keyboards, Opera Mini has its own which comes up first when editing (entering text), but it's really "skinny" and only really good for careful one-fingered operation. To use the phone's keyboard you can configure OM to default to full-screen editing, or if you like the OM keyboard for some uses, you can leave configuration as is and switch to the phone's keyboard by long-pressing (touch and hold) the text entry box, whereby the choice to select full-screen editing is given.

Feedback Score
    Could you explain "how to" default to the phone's larger keyboard (larger than opera mini 6)? Will the procedure have to be done each time I enter opera mini?
    Thanks.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Understand that I don't have or use the LG800g; I just use Opera Mini on a different phone.

This should do it: What you're trying to do, in terms of Opera Mini, is use Full Screen Editing, so what you need to do is open up Opera Mini, then go to the Settings area of it. I don't have it handy to look directly, but look through the items for a selection called Full Screen Editing, and click the radio button. This may be in the Advanced Settings area; just look around. When this is selected, anytime text entry is called for it should open up the "sideways" (technically called landscape) style virtual keyboard for you to use, and not present you with the "skinny" Opera Mini keyboard. That's my theory anyway.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Update; I still enjoy my LG800 running the BOLT OS instead of Opera. BOLT uses very little time when browsing, though accessing email eats minutes badly. I still haven't discovered a single app for this phone except for games.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Norman Reynolds,
    If you have a GMail account the GMail mobile app works well on this phone as does Snaptu 1.7.0 (http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/In...tu-69400.shtml). Just FYI.

Feedback Score
    At the onset, I've never used a cellphone to surf the web. For some reason, yesterday I felt the need to at least be able to do this on my LG800G, in case (in case of "what" I'm not quite sure).

Based on comments on this forum, Opera mini seems to be the popular browser of choice.

Using the phone's web browser, I went to m.opera.com to download opera. I received a message "there's no Opera Mini for T-Mobile available for your device."

With that said...
    Am I correct to assume that folks that have the LG800 and are running Opera have ATT svc?

Above there is a reference to "running the BOLT OS instead of Opera". Am I confused in thinking that Opera is a browser and not an OS?

Can someone recommend a good browser for email for a LG800 that has T-Mobile svc?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by am1528 View Post
    At the onset, I've never used a cellphone to surf the web. For some reason, yesterday I felt the need to at least be able to do this on my LG800G, in case (in case of "what" I'm not quite sure).

Based on comments on this forum, Opera mini seems to be the popular browser of choice.

Using the phone's web browser, I went to m.opera.com to download opera. I received a message "there's no Opera Mini for T-Mobile available for your device."

With that said...
    Am I correct to assume that folks that have the LG800 and are running Opera have ATT svc?

Above there is a reference to "running the BOLT OS instead of Opera". Am I confused in thinking that Opera is a browser and not an OS?

Can someone recommend a good browser for email for a LG800 that has T-Mobile svc?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    On http://m.opera.com scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Other download options"
    Then click "Select Code-Signing Certificate" below "Options for Opera Mini 6.1"
    Then click "All Certificates
    Then click "Download Opera Mini 6.1 (English (USA))"

Bolt is another proxy based browser (not an OS) similar to Opera Mini. Some people prefer it but I find Opera mini faster and easier to use. You can get Bolt at http://boltbrowser.com
    You can have both Opera Mini and Bolt on your phone at the same time. Some sites like Facebook tend to work better in Bolt.

Feedback Score
    Yeswap,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I would have never figured it out.

I went through the Opera steps that you outlined.

According to the messages that I received, Opera was downloaded and installed.

I disconnected from the online session and backed out to the phone's home page. I wanted to test and bring up Opera and start a new online session. I expected, but could not find, an Opera icon in the several places I looked.

Should I have seen an Opera icon or are my expectations out of whack?

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast