Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you copy TV shows/movies (iPod files) from iPhone WITHOUT ITUNES?

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

How do you copy TV shows/movies (iPod files) from iPhone WITHOUT ITUNES?

I'm on a work computer running windows 7, and I have on my iPhone several TV shows (they are .mp4 format, and play in the iPod app). I wouldn't mind transferring them over to the computer so that I could watch them (using MPC-HC, for example) but I don't have iTunes or the iTunes service (no admin rights). Furthermore I don't have wifi so a network transfer is out of the question.

I tried using iFile, found the .mp4 where it is stored when it syncs, copied it to the DCIM folder that is accessible (which stores recorded videos and pictures, and mounts in Windows) and renamed it to .mov which is the extension for recorded video files (with the intention of renaming it back to .mp4 when I copied it over) but when I reconnected it the file in question didn't show up in the directory.

Anybody have a method that works? Maybe an app that will mount a USB mass storage drive? Note that most methods require the iTunes service running and that is not possible on this computer.

Phones
    iPhone 4 32gb
    VZW MiFi 2200
    Sony w810i unlocked
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm a Mac user, but if Windows 7 can play MP4 files in something like Windows Media Player, then can't you just copy them to a USB thumb drive at home and then either copy them over to the work computer from that or just play them from the thumb drive?

Does iTunes still let you set up your iPhone to use the extra space on the phone as a thumb drive? If so then you can copy the files to that storage area at home, and when you plug it into the computer at work the files should be visible and useable from the storage area.

Also, if you happen to have mobileme account and and iDisk, you could copy the movies to your iDisk and open mobileme.com on the work computer, and then download the movies from there. Many other online storage services could offer the same thing.

The other possibility is that your work simply doesn't want you watching movies on their computer, and you need their permission to do this without being terminated. Just a thought.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryganz View Post
    I'm a Mac user, but if Windows 7 can play MP4 files in something like Windows Media Player, then can't you just copy them to a USB thumb drive at home and then either copy them over to the work computer from that or just play them from the thumb drive?
    Yeah, but that isn't what I was asking. It may surprise you to know I do know how to copy to a USB stick. But that's an extra step I don't want to do, plus I don't carry my USB stick with me everywhere. I do carry my iPhone with me everywhere.
    Does iTunes still let you set up your iPhone to use the extra space on the phone as a thumb drive? If so then you can copy the files to that storage area at home, and when you plug it into the computer at work the files should be visible and useable from the storage area.
    That's kinda what I'm asking... it has to be usable without having iTunes installed.
    Also, if you happen to have mobileme account and and iDisk, you could copy the movies to your iDisk and open mobileme.com on the work computer, and then download the movies from there. Many other online storage services could offer the same thing.
    The video files in question are like 350 MB each. I have like 6 seasons of 22 episodes. Online storage is kinda inefficient for that much data.
    The other possibility is that your work simply doesn't want you watching movies on their computer, and you need their permission to do this without being terminated. Just a thought.
    Really? You're advising me about work ethic, after I asked a purely technical question? If you don't know the answer, don't bother attempting a response. Not that it's any of your busines, but of course they don't want me watching movies on my computer during work hours. For lunch hours, however, they could care less. They haven't restricted movie playback, they just don't have iTunes installed and I can't as I do not have an admin account on this PC.

Anyways if someone cares to attempt to actually answer the question I asked, that would be just peachy.

Phones
    iPhone 4 32gb
    VZW MiFi 2200
    Sony w810i unlocked
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well at this point, after the "screw you and the horse you rode in on" attitude, I'm hoping nobody has an answer for you.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryganz View Post
    Well at this point, after the "screw you and the horse you rode in on" attitude, I'm hoping nobody has an answer for you.
    LOL. I didn't mean any offense, but you have to admit your post was not at all helpful. I just wonder why you even posted since you seem to know significantly less than I do about such things. When I see posts like yours, I can't help but answer sarcastically. It wasn't meant viciously, but seriously - read your post. And giving people advice about clearly unrelated things? What do you expect?

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    get an app like Oplayer or vlc for the iphone
    use ifunbox to transfer the files to their documents folder (var/mobile/applications/Oplayer/documents) I think that's the directory. iFunbox will decipher the directory names for you too which is nice.
    that's it, open the app and it's there.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    get an app like Oplayer or vlc for the iphone
    use ifunbox to transfer the files to their documents folder (var/mobile/applications/Oplayer/documents) I think that's the directory. iFunbox will decipher the directory names for you too which is nice.
    that's it, open the app and it's there.
    This is more or less what I was looking for but unfortunately iFunbox requires iTunes to be installed. Maybe there can be no USB communication without iTunes being installed.

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hmmmm I'm not sure how to get it to the phone without wifi or the itunes drivers. That's what's missing is the itunes/iphone driver. Not sure what other tunnel or scp programs there are that don't require itunes.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are programs you can install that access the device so you don't have to use iTunes. AFAIK, that's the only option.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to convert a movie from mp4 to mov? I was under the impression that simply renaming was not possible.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
    There are programs you can install that access the device so you don't have to use iTunes. AFAIK, that's the only option.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to convert a movie from mp4 to mov? I was under the impression that simply renaming was not possible.
    What is an example of such a program?

And if you're wondering why I renamed to .mov, I'll re-explain. When you connect your iPhone to a Windows computer, it mounts the camera directory (which contains *.mov videos and *.jpg images) so that you can view your pictures. This does not require iTunes, so I figured I'd be sneaky and just rename my .mp4 to .mov so that it would be listed in the mounted directory - with the intention of renaming it back to .mp4 so that the file would be playable. While it's possible to remux an .mp4 into .mov without converting, renaming the file obviously doesn't make it playable. Unfortunately renaming and remounting the camera directory resulted in the file not showing up.

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well oplayer and vlc will play the .mp4 (which is the proper format anyhow for movies for the iphone, not mov) and they'll also play avi, xvid and some others.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Get Buzz Player for iOS. It doesn't require Jail Breaking and you can transfer wirelessly. The player also supports a ton of formats, Internet streaming video and video out from the iPhone so you can watch on the big screen. Two different versions depending on the age of your iPhone.http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buzz-...389744738?mt=8

The big problem is that it won't play or transfer your "iPod" music or video. Buzz Player supports in app sharing for media files with other apps on your phone, but Apple isn't allowed to share iPod media this way, due to copyrights, contracts and agreements with media companies that hold the copyrights on the material.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    well oplayer and vlc will play the .mp4 (which is the proper format anyhow for movies for the iphone, not mov) and they'll also play avi, xvid and some others.
    You don't seem to understand. The .mp4 plays in my iPod app, and of course it'll play in avplayer, cinexplayer, oplayer, and vlc with hardware decoding. I remuxed it to MP4 from it's original container (mkv). iPod app will play both .mp4 and .mov, but this isn't the issue. I am trying to play this on my computer, and the only step I can't figure out is how to transfer the video file from my iPhone to my computer over USB without the iTunes driver installed. Playback on the iPhone itself is flawless. I want to watch it on my computer which has a bigger screen size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Get Buzz Player for iOS. It doesn't require Jail Breaking and you can transfer wirelessly. The player also supports a ton of formats, Internet streaming video and video out from the iPhone so you can watch on the big screen. Two different versions depending on the age of your iPhone.http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buzz-...389744738?mt=8
    The big problem is that it won't play or transfer your "iPod" music or video. Buzz Player supports in app sharing for media files with other apps on your phone, but Apple isn't allowed to share iPod media this way, due to copyrights, contracts and agreements with media companies that hold the copyrights on the material.
    Wireless transfer is unfortunately not possible as there is no local wifi here (otherwise I'd just use SSH to transfer). The idea of video out is good but unfortunately I don't have a VGA out cable, and not willing to fork out $40 for it.

I think what I'm looking for is some way to specify another directory to mount in Windows aside from the camera directory (and to allow listing of .mp4 files from that mounted folder).

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    You don't seem to understand. The .mp4 plays in my iPod app, and of course it'll play in avplayer, cinexplayer, oplayer, and vlc with hardware decoding. I remuxed it to MP4 from it's original container (mkv). iPod app will play both .mp4 and .mov, but this isn't the issue. I am trying to play this on my computer, and the only step I can't figure out is how to transfer the video file from my iPhone to my computer over USB without the iTunes driver installed. Playback on the iPhone itself is flawless. I want to watch it on my computer which has a bigger screen size.Wireless transfer is unfortunately not possible as there is no local wifi here (otherwise I'd just use SSH to transfer). The idea of video out is good but unfortunately I don't have a VGA out cable, and not willing to fork out $40 for it.

I think what I'm looking for is some way to specify another directory to mount in Windows aside from the camera directory (and to allow listing of .mp4 files from that mounted folder).
    If your computer has a Wi-Fi card, you can set up an adhoc network with your iPhone.

The iPhone isn't really a USB mass storage device without Wi-Fi or iTunes. There are ways to share files, just not iPod app media files. If you are looking to file share/transfer those type of files, I probably wouldn't have synced them into the iPod app's directory. You might still be able to view that video file view that file on another computer with air sharing home setup if that computer also has iTunes. Frankly, I store my videos I make in Buzz Player, so I can share them without iTunes.
    Last edited by Doolie; 07-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    If your computer has a Wi-Fi card, you can set up an adhoc network with your iPhone.
    Well, I didn't think of this and you might be right (can you link me to how to set this up?) but I'm thinking this requires admin access which unfortunately I do not have. Also, the computer I have at work right now is a desktop without wifi, but i'm still curious how to do this.
    The iPhone isn't really a USB mass storage device without Wi-Fi or iTunes. There are ways to share files, just not iPod app media files. If you are looking to file share/transfer those type of files, I probably wouldn't have synced them into the iPod app's directory. You might still be able to view that video file view that file on another computer with air sharing home setup if that computer also has iTunes. Frankly, I store my videos I make in Buzz Player, so I can share them without iTunes.
    Where they are synced to is irrelevant considering as I also said in my first post I can copy or move them to any directory I choose, using the jailbreak app iFile. Note also that the title capitalizes the part about not having iTunes. :P

Not trying to be rude btw. It's quite possible that what I'm asking to do is impossible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast