Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    SE w810i (backup)
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Found an iPhone 3GS, no sim inside with passcode & data reset enabled

Today I found an iPhone outside laying in the grass at a soccer field. I want to deliver this phone back to the owner. I can barely imagine what the owner is going through losing their phone.

When I found the phone it was dead. I plugged it when i got home and turned it on and passcode screen came up. I do not want to try entering in codes because I know there could be a 10 passcode entry limit before a wipe.

I took my sim tool and popped out the sim tray only to find.....no sim card (= glorified iPod?). I take a look at the top bar on the screen and it says "ROYCE" with the 4 wireless bars. I thought it said "ROGERS" before... and with no sim inside and 4 wireless bars leads me to believe this is a jailbroken phone (owner customized the top bar).

How do I give this phone back? My last resort was to deliver to the carrier store or apple store but theres no sim and its jailbroken (what would apple do with it?).

Is there a way to get past the passcode screen and somehow pull up the contact list (and hopefully getting a home number from there)?

Or should I just give it to the police?
    Unlimited Local and Text | CID/eVM $56.60 all in | been with for 5 years

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
    Today I found an iPhone outside laying in the grass at a soccer field. I want to deliver this phone back to the owner. I can barely imagine what the owner is going through losing their phone.

When I found the phone it was dead. I plugged it when i got home and turned it on and passcode screen came up. I do not want to try entering in codes because I know there could be a 10 passcode entry limit before a wipe.

I took my sim tool and popped out the sim tray only to find.....no sim card (= glorified iPod?). I take a look at the top bar on the screen and it says "ROYCE" with the 4 wireless bars. I thought it said "ROGERS" before... and with no sim inside and 4 wireless bars leads me to believe this is a jailbroken phone (owner customized the top bar).

How do I give this phone back? My last resort was to deliver to the carrier store or apple store but theres no sim and its jailbroken (what would apple do with it?).

Is there a way to get past the passcode screen and somehow pull up the contact list (and hopefully getting a home number from there)?

Or should I just give it to the police?
    To be on the safe side and possibly prevent being in possession of stolen property. Just take it to the police station and tell them where you found it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4 64GB (White)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    DFU Restore. Finders Keepers. ;-)

OK OK... you could take it to Cops, Apple. But they will take no action to give it back to owner.

I say keep it.
    If you commonly type the name iPhone as "Iphone" or "I-Phone"... or if you commonly refer to an iPod Touch as an "iTouch" or "I-Touch"...... Then you deserve whole bottle of habanero hot sauce poured into your eyes!

Feedback Score
    Restore The Phone & Now You Can Keep It Without Being Tracked Or Anything , Your Safe If You Restore . At Least You Can Say You Tried To Return It .

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First of all, good for you for wanting to do the right thing.

You're not going to be able to get past the lock screen without restoring.

You might try posting some "Found" notices in local stores that have bulletin boards. Some newspapers print "Found" notices for free. You can also post a "Found" notice on Craigslist. I'm sure you can think of some other things, too.

It should be pretty easy to determine the rightful owner if anyone comes forward to claim it. Ask them what carrier they use. Only the rightful owner is likely to know there's no SIM (thus NO carrier), and the carrier name is set to "ROYCE". Extra points if their name is ROYCE.

If no one comes forward, you might try Apple. The IMEI should be able to be traced to the original carrier and owner. That may not be "ROYCE", but they probably know the path the phone took to get to ROYCE.

Phones
    iPhone 4 16gb
    Nextel (R.I.P.)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteABombAZ View Post
    DFU Restore. Finders Keepers. ;-)

OK OK... you could take it to Cops, Apple. But they will take no action to give it back to owner.

I say keep it.
    And you know this how? Quite the contrary, they will look for the owner.

To the OP, kudos for looking for the owner. Keeping it now is considered theft of lost property. Don't turn to the dark side like some have suggested; continue to do the right thing.

Phones
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Stolen - iPhone 3G, V620, Krzr, W810i, Dash. Gotta love NY
    MPx 300 *****es!!
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wellduh11 View Post
    And you know this how? Quite the contrary, they will look for the owner.

To the OP, kudos for looking for the owner. Keeping it now is considered theft of lost property. Don't turn to the dark side like some have suggested; continue to do the right thing.
    The cops in my area couldn't care less about phones, they won't even make a report for insurance purposes. I know this because my friends and I have had phones stolen and went to the police dept. Pretty naive to think that the cops will take time to track down the owner, if anything they'll put it in a lost and found until the next unclaimed property auction happens.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Just take it to the police. Why does anyone care if they do anything about it. It is not yours. It is not a puppy or kitten that needs to be fed. It is material property not owned by you. If you modify it in any way, Jail Break, restore and activate, etc., you destroy any proof you didn't steal it, instead of just finding it. Take it to the police in the area. Do the right thing. The burden is then on the cops.
    Last edited by Doolie; 07-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkbone98 View Post
    The cops in my area couldn't care less about phones, they won't even make a report for insurance purposes. I know this because my friends and I have had phones stolen and went to the police dept. Pretty naive to think that the cops will take time to track down the owner, if anything they'll put it in a lost and found until the next unclaimed property auction happens.
    Why do people always base their view on how everything in the universe works based on how things work in their own neighbourhood? No one on my block is vegan (because there's no one else living on my block! ;-) ) does that mean no one in the world is Vegan either?

Phones
    iPhone 8925
    N908 V3 8125
    Oki Moto t120
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Bye Bye Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Turn it in to the Police in the area in which you found it.

The Police have the responsibility to make a reasonable attempt to find the property owner.
    After a period of time, and it remains unclaimed the property can be sold at public auction.

As you sow you will reap, or what goes around comes around.

So turn it in. Its out of your hair, and you did the right thing.

Phone
    iPhone 5 - 16GB
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
    The Police have the responsibility to make a reasonable attempt to find the property owner.
    After a period of time, and it remains unclaimed the property can be sold at public auction.
    i'd like to know who told you that load of crap. the police won't do anything. their "reasonable" attempt is if someone calls the station and asks if anyone returned a lost phone. other than that, they ain't gonna do anything.

OP try holding down the home button and saying:

call dad, mom, brother, michael, etc... all common names. remember, you gotta put your sim in there to make the call. hopefully there's a contact with a #.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Take it to the police. Likely, after a period of time (90 days?) if unclaimed, ownership transfers to you...depending on local lost property laws.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Take it to the police. Likely, after a period of time (90 days?) if unclaimed, ownership transfers to you...depending on local lost property laws.
    Take it to the police. Let them deal with it. Laws vary from state to state. Look at the lost iPhone scandal in California regarding the iPhone 4 prototype. Don't take the law into your own hands. Let the cops deal with it. Just because you found it, doesn't mean you have any claims to ownership. Laws vary.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 3G(S) 16gb
    ATT Tilt
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    you can take it to an att store and they should be able to find the rightful owner by looking at the imei number.

is it stolen property if the owner took out the sim card and left the phone. Looks like who ever left it behind, left it for trash.

Phones
    Nokia E72 X10
    Nokia N95-4 8GB
    IPhone 3G 3GS Iphone 4
    Carriers
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    WIND.GR T-Mobile.DE E-Plus Tchibo Aldi K&K MagnaMobile.DE
    Feedback Score
    I have found several handsets and I can tell you the odds of it getting back to the owner are slim to none. The police will not do a thing.. pm me I can assist you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast