View Poll Results: Which Carrier Should We Switch To?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • MetroPCS

0 0%
  • Boost

2 33.33%
  • Cricket

1 16.67%
  • Virgin

2 33.33%
  • Straight Talk (TracFone)

1 16.67%
  • Stay with Verizon

0 0%
  • Other

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: MetroPCS, Boost, Cricket, Virgin, or StraightTalk

Phones
    LG enV Touch
    LG enV Touch
    Samsung Alias
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

MetroPCS, Boost, Cricket, Virgin, or StraightTalk

I've been a satisfied Verizon customer since the 90s, but with the narrowing of the feature phone offerings and the considerable price difference with the smaller carriers, I don't believe I am going to be renewing my contract.

Does anyone have any experiences with these carriers, good or bad? Would you recommend one over the others for us?

MetroPCS
    Boost
    Cricket
    Virgin
    Straight Talk (TracFone)

We currently have a family plan on VZW (2 lines):
    Talk - we share 1400 anytime minutes; we use about 3000 minutes when you add in the mobile-to-mobile time.
    Text - I use about 500/month; spouse uses 1000-2000/month.
    Web - we currently don't use, but we wouldn't mind having access.
    Email - spouse would like to be able to use to check corporate email.

We are located in the Philadelphia Suburbs (Delaware County, PA), I work in New Jersey and my spouse works in Delaware. We'd like to have a good network along the coast from New York City to Virginia Beach and inland through Chester County, PA, Baltimore and Washington DC. Basically we travel throughout the mid-atlantic region on a fairly regular basis and while we realize there will always be weaknesses in a network, we'd prefer to for them to be minimized. We don't usually travel outside of this region, other than for business, so coverage elsewhere is unimportant to us.

Importance for Us:
    1. Value
    2. Call Quality
    3. Network Coverage
    4. No Hassle/No Surprises in Billing
    5. Email/Web Features

We're on the fence about whether we want to move to Smartphones - we probably will if we choose a carrier with unlimited Web.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Feedback Score
    I recommend straight talk- so far at least. I'm a new ST user but I switched from verizon(after about 4 years), verizon was great but too expensive considering I don't use my phone out a big lot.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    go to net10 they have many plans to chose from heres a link to there plans http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans you also can choose the network you want on you have the choice of all 4 major carriers verizon,att,sprint,tmobile and the $75 dollar family plan should fit you unless you want more than 500mb of data on lte 4g or 3g then after 500mb it goes to 2g everything else unlimted

Feedback Score
    check out ting if you're willing to use the sprint network (which it seems you are) they have an interesting pricing structure and if it suits you it could save you quite a bit, as your bill varies by month depending largely on actual usage.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Straight talk seems to be pretty good in the northeast. Virgin and Boost are pretty much the same, rather lousy everywhere on basic phones from what I've seen. MetroPCS, I've only seen it be commonly used in Orlando Florida and it's okay here...nothing special. I don't know anything about cricket.

I've had lots of friends have basic phones with straight talk and they love it. Seems like people are liking the LTE on it as well.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Cricket is in the process of becoming AIO Wireless. You can check out AIO's map to see what the coverage will be. Also, they will probably start having access to AT&T phones soon, if they don't already have it. Someone told me they bought a Boost HTC phone to flash to Cricket and were told that it's not compatible with their network, so it could have happened already. Cricket's site says you can get a discount for signing up for auto pay and I've been told that some people can get extra discounts from them, but I'm not sure.

Virgin and Boost have the same network, Sprints native coverage. It gets mixed reviews from people all over the country, but it could be good in an area. Virgin is good if you don't talk a lot, 300 min with unlimited data for $35 a month. Boost is more for people who want unlimited everything. They've been able to keep people with their shrinking payments. But soon, they will have the smallest coverage area, so I would say check it first. There have been all kinds of rumors that big changes would happen sometime in the first quarter, but no one seems to know what changes are in store.

Metro is offering it's $40 period plan which it says has fees included, but the full speed data allotment is not very high on that plan. They use T-Mobile's network, so 2G coverage is big, LTE coverage may be small and lacking in some areas. I think they will allow you to use any T-Mobile phone, but you would have to check if they have officially launched in your area. I had a friend who had them and was told that they were roaming too much in an area that has T-Mobile, but didn't launch Metro yet. Because of that, they cancelled her account and she couldn't get her number back. It should be noted that Sprint is in the process of trying to buy T-Mobile USA, which would give them Metro PCS and their subscriber base. There were reports that the government may resist it, but if the deal goes through, it would change the prepaid landscape drastically.

Carrier
    Aio Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Once ATT completes the Leap purchase Aio will be rolled into Cricket. You will start to see gsm phones start showing up in Cricket stores later in this first quarter. Not sure how long Cricket will stay on the Sprint network. Their mvno agreement contains a buyout clause so not sure how much ATT is willing to spend to buy it out. Cricket signed it last year and it was a 5 year contract.