Thread: Anyone use Hotspot in place of home internet service?

Feedback Score

Anyone use Hotspot in place of home internet service?

Scooped up a few of the cheap Palm Pixi Plus's. I'm a light internet user and think I could get by using the free mobile hotspot with 5 GB of data per month. Anyone cancel their home internet service in favor of Hotspot?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    When I get my own place I plan to use my unlimited hotspot.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    ... and think I could get by using the free mobile hotspot with 5 GB of data per month.
    edit: paragraph deleted

In answer to your question... If you're a light internet user as you state, you might be fine using 5 GB a month. Before making the switch to mobile-only, I'd look at your home and mobile internet usage... and add a buffer. I use my wired home internet quite a bit... but obviously individual usage habits come into play.
    Last edited by CellHabit; 07-11-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: deleted info (preserved below)

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can use 50GB in a month easy with my home internet (downloads, Netflix, ...).

Yes, you can get grandfathered in for unlimited with LTE ... but if you are consistently over 10GB ... I would think you would show up on Verizon's radar ... eventually ... especially if you push 50GB like me. If Verizon would just "ask" you to tune it down, unplug you completely, throttle you, or some combination would be "to be determined".

As said above ... it really depends on what you do with your internet at home.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    N/A
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think Mobile hot spot is good for a college student living on campus or someone like me thats self employed and travels alot. I wouldn't solely rely on verizons hotspot to cater to you regular needs.
    TIM G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellHabit View Post
    The free mobile Hotspot ended last Wednesday night... As of Thursday morning, customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans can get unlimited Hotspot access for $30/month. New customers with tiered data plans can add 2 GB of Hotspot usage to those plans... with overage charges for the combined data allowance (core data allowance plus 2 GB Hotspot) being $10/GB.

In answer to your question... If you're a light internet user as you state, you might be fine using 5 GB a month. Before making the switch to mobile-only, I'd look at your home and mobile internet usage... and add a buffer. I use my wired home internet quite a bit... but obviously individual usage habits come into play.
    Does that apply to the free hospot offer for the Palm (Pixi and Pre) phones? I thought that was a different offer than the one for 4G LTE phones that was around recently.

As for using the hotspot as a connection for home internet service, I can be off here, but I believe it's stated somewhere in the TOS that the phone and its features are essentially not to be used in that manner.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM View Post
    Does that apply to the free hospot offer for the Palm (Pixi and Pre) phones?
    Good question... I did a Google search and found where it was announced as free in 2010... I haven't located the current status yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellHabit View Post
    Good question... I did a Google search and found where it was announced as free in 2010... I haven't located the current status yet.
    I believe it's still offered as long as you are using one of those phones (Palm Pixi or Pre).

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    I think Mobile hot spot is good for a college student living on campus or someone like me thats self employed and travels alot. I wouldn't solely rely on verizons hotspot to cater to you regular needs.
    Sounds like my future situation. If you're in a small place like an apartment and you don't have to wire everything all at once, then why not? If you have unlimited, use it. If vzw complains, then cut back accordingly.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    N/A
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you got a thunderbolt don't get to excited even with the recent update I am still having connectivity issues. I have internet one minute then the thunderbolt drops connection.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Motorola V330
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm testing it out now. I got my Pixi last Wednesday and disconnected my laptop from my home network the same day.

I don't do Netflix or download movies though I do watch a fair number of Youtube videos over the course of a month.

I've been checking my usage daily through My Verizon to make sure I stay under the 5 GB. So far I'm well under and even multiplying my daily use by 30, I'm looking good.

I'd suggest doing what I'm doing as a trial run to see if it will work for you.
    Last edited by kreepykeith; 07-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    If you got a thunderbolt don't get to excited even with the recent update I am still having connectivity issues. I have internet one minute then the thunderbolt drops connection.
    Haven't had any connectivity issues. I've been hotspotting everyday. Perhaps its a data issue in your area?