Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there any ST phone that can act as a wifi hotspot?

Feedback Score

Is there any ST phone that can act as a wifi hotspot?

I probably wouldn't use it a lot, but it would be nice on occasion to have the capability to connect my laptop or Ipad to the internet through my phone. I'm wondering if the new Samsung T528G can do it.

If not is there any way to accomplish this? I see people talking about swapping out their SIM cards to a different phone. So if I had one of the ST phones that could be "upgraded" in that way it would be possible to buy, say an Android phone, and get my hotspot that way?

Thanks for any info.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest00 View Post
    I probably wouldn't use it a lot, but it would be nice on occasion to have the capability to connect my laptop or Ipad to the internet through my phone. I'm wondering if the new Samsung T528G can do it.

If not is there any way to accomplish this? I see people talking about swapping out their SIM cards to a different phone. So if I had one of the ST phones that could be "upgraded" in that way it would be possible to buy, say an Android phone, and get my hotspot that way?

Thanks for any info.
    Do that and expect to get a phone call or your account terminated or suspended.

They can tell your tethering by the volume of data being used during the time period. It's just not worth the risk.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    This is the exact reason why I wont get straight talk. I don't want to risk losing my number because they have an invisible cap on their data. Its ridiculous to sell an unlimited plan and set limits on usage. I'd rather get boost or stick with virgin. I'd get net10 but boost and virgin are cheaper.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Do that and expect to get a phone call or your account terminated or suspended.

They can tell your tethering by the volume of data being used during the time period. It's just not worth the risk.
    Silly me, I thought unlimited data meant, err, unlimited.

It's one thing if someone downloads movies all day or something, but the answer to that is bandwidth throttling, not account termination for a service that says unlimited.

If that's their position I'll just go elsewhere.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia e71 can act as a Wi-fi hot spot with an app called JoikuSpot that is readily available from the Ovi store. I have a e71, and tether my iPod Touch to it on a daily basis sometimes for several hours per day. I still use less than 1 gig of data per month, and have had no problems with it.

And yes of course you can always take the SIM card from one of the Nokia smartphones and put it in the phone of your choice that can act as a hot-spot. The new Samsung phone cannot be used as hot-spot to my knowledge.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    The Nokia e71 can act as a Wi-fi hot spot with an app called JoikuSpot that is readily available from the Ovi store. I have a e71, and tether my iPod Touch to it on a daily basis sometimes for several hours per day. I still use less than 1 gig of data per month, and have had no problems with it.
    And your post in bold is why you don't have any problems. Do it on a laptop and stream youtube or netflix and it would be a different story.

Phone
    iPhone 6 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest00 View Post
    Silly me, I thought unlimited data meant, err, unlimited.

It's one thing if someone downloads movies all day or something, but the answer to that is bandwidth throttling, not account termination for a service that says unlimited.

If that's their position I'll just go elsewhere.
    The unlimited being unlimited argument is very old and in theory you are right but it's a no win.
    I wouldn't risk the hassle of being terminated for violating the TOS.
    Not on my main line anyway.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    And your post in bold is why you don't have any problems. Do it on a laptop and stream youtube or netflix and it would be a different story.
    That was kinda my point. Tether responsibly and you won't have a problem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I seriously doubt I'll ever use enough bandwidth to put me on their radar.

Feedback Score
    What is the trigger thats alerts straight talk to investigate ?? 1 GIG ? 2 GIGs 3 Gigs ?
    I don't use a lot of data , period but I really need the Laptop PC for my purposes
    I have heard that there is several ways to use phone as hotspot just start surfing the web and suggestions will appear

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Mifi 4620L
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since it is against their TOS, no native Straight Talk phones have a hotspot option.

Feedback Score
    Thank You, I know that . What I asked was not if ST phones had an option for hotspot Rather is there an option to make phones a hotspot for ST

Feedback Score
    buy a good android
    buy an att sim
    download foxifi hotspot app thats it!!

Enviado desde mi GALAXY S3 straight talk usando Tapatalk 2

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes it is possible. Yes, it is against TOS. Yes, if you tether to a laptop & do a lot of surfing it uses more data than a mobile browser would use. Yes, an iPad would probably be a little safer as its the same browser as iPhone. Yes, most android phones can be made into a hotspot, and so can an iPhone that's jailbroken if you install tetherme. I used to tether my iPhone to my iPad I just to have a bigger screen for web, email, & hofo. Never any problems. It took a dive on a roller coaster, & now have a galaxy nexus, which I believe has tethering natively available, though I haven't had the need for it in the 2 weeks I've had it. Tether for email or short browsing, & you should be fine. Tether a lot or download files through that, & you may have trouble. As far as losing your number, that seems to be very rare, as most offenders complain of throttling now rather than losing their number. Haven't heard of a sudden account deactivation in a couple months now as throttling had become their weapon of choice, possibly because of complaints here and elsewhere. We know they monitor these boards.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Could someone clarify the options for Verizon network users?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast