Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    63
    Feedback Score
    0

    iCloud and Android phone

    When icloud comes in can i sync my android phone as well?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,537
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    No, it's a closed ecosystem, requires Apple hardware and software.

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Downtown Chicago
    Posts
    3,260
    Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    No, it's a closed ecosystem, requires Apple hardware and software.
    This is likely correct. Apple is trying to build an ecosystem that is very hard to leave once you join.

    There may be some apps that can access some data stored on iCloud, but unlikely to have anything more than that.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    iCloud PC support

    For your PC to be iCloud ready, you’ll need Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) or Windows 7. Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, or an up-to-date version of your preferred browser is required for accessing your email, contacts, and calendars in iCloud.

    So it works on Windows. That is not a "closed ecosystem." There is no Android functionality but I don't think there is anything stopping something from being built.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,043
    Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Android phone won't ever get iCloud services. Even if you have a Windows pc set up for iCloud services it will only work with an iPhone. Why on earth would Apple open up iCloud to other handheld hardware? It's a huge benefit of having an iPhone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    976
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kmann.ics View Post
    For your PC to be iCloud ready, you’ll need Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) or Windows 7. Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, or an up-to-date version of your preferred browser is required for accessing your email, contacts, and calendars in iCloud.

    So it works on Windows. That is not a "closed ecosystem." There is no Android functionality but I don't think there is anything stopping something from being built.
    Why would you even want it? If you have an Android Phone and a PC, why would you want a service that was made to sync Apple programs to other Apple programs? Doesn't Google fill in the need for syncing between Android and PCs?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    113
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    The Android phone won't ever get iCloud services. Even if you have a Windows pc set up for iCloud services it will only work with an iPhone. Why on earth would Apple open up iCloud to other handheld hardware? It's a huge benefit of having an iPhone.
    I don't understand why you are wanting to sync your android with iCloud. Everything that iCloud offers is already available on the android and has been since its beginning. Android was designed to sync without use of a computer from its start over 3 years ago. Your android phone will wirelessly sync all the contacts, mail, calenders, apps right out of the box and if you want to sync photos, music or documents you can use dropbox or sugarSync to connect all of your electronics via the cloud. This is the huge benefit that the Iphone just caught up with.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    116
    Phones
    iPhone 4
    Iphone 3g
    Samsung D900
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Not really. I've been using dropbox for a while, so my iPhone hasn't "caught up". These cloud services are not android exclusive like you're implying. Apple has just made a brand exclusive. That's all. I doubt it's ant better than any other cloud services. Probably just takes away any confusion Joe consumer may have.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,624
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil1 View Post
    I don't understand why you are wanting to sync your android with iCloud. Everything that iCloud offers is already available on the android and has been since its beginning. Android was designed to sync without use of a computer from its start over 3 years ago. Your android phone will wirelessly sync all the contacts, mail, calenders, apps right out of the box and if you want to sync photos, music or documents you can use dropbox or sugarSync to connect all of your electronics via the cloud. This is the huge benefit that the Iphone just caught up with.
    Both Dropbox and SugarSync have been available on iOS for a while now. Nothing new.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

    A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Phones
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Samsung Note II N7100
    Samsung
    Carrier
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalidodo View Post
    When icloud comes in can i sync my android phone as well?
    Why would you want anything that will tie you into a specific piece of hardware? Especially one that's costs more after 5GB and charges you for non Apple purchases? Google gives you 20,000 songs free on Google Music and 20GB on their storage services like Picassa and Google Office.

    You can't play songs from within a Web browser and need IOs or Itunes nor can you stream your music. It has to be downloaded. You would have to pay $24.99 a year for non-iTunes-purchased music to be stored on the cloud..

    In my case the bulk of my music came from CDs I ripped into MP3s and a few WMA. The rest come from Amazon.

    As far as backing up the device besides Google contacts and Picassa. I run a custom ROM so I make full back ups (of multiple OS ROMs) to the External 32GB SD card of the OS apps and data. on the internal SD card. SO basically I can perfom a complete and total restore or backup without any WiFi or Carrier signal.

    I keep my music on the external SD card. I recently backed up my library to the Google clould and it took a few days LOL But the music is mine. Amazon has a pretty good deal as well.

    I have an Itouch as well but don't use it much since the Samsung Galaxy series came out.
    SMART PHONE TEST
    ATT since before Cingular
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    GT-N7100


    Omega v7.2 JB - 4.1.2 XXDLJ2

    Kernel: XXDLJ2
    Modem: XXDLJ2

    64GB Sandisk class 6

    Ebay-Tombo7777
    Previous, N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, ATT Note SGH-i777 Sold $475 Note N7000 Sold $340

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,559
    Phones
    Nexus One
    N85-3
    Carrier
    Solo HSPA+
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recoil1 View Post
    I don't understand why you are wanting to sync your android with iCloud. Everything that iCloud offers is already available on the android and has been since its beginning. Android was designed to sync without use of a computer from its start over 3 years ago. Your android phone will wirelessly sync all the contacts, mail, calenders, apps right out of the box and if you want to sync photos, music or documents you can use dropbox or sugarSync to connect all of your electronics via the cloud. This is the huge benefit that the Iphone just caught up with.
    Android can sync photos, music and documents out of the box as well. Under account syncing, you can choose to sync your pictures with Picasa (Google's now moving on to Google+ instead). For music, Google launched their cloud music service earlier in the summer. For documents there's Google docs. Oh, and don't forget Google Books. Your books are available on your tablet, PC, phones and even iPhones. All of these services can be accessed by different platforms.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,624
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bong View Post
    Why would you want anything that will tie you into a specific piece of hardware? Especially one that's costs more after 5GB and charges you for non Apple purchases? Google gives you 20,000 songs free on Google Music and 20GB on their storage services like Picassa and Google Office.

    You can't play songs from within a Web browser and need IOs or Itunes nor can you stream your music. It has to be downloaded. You would have to pay $24.99 a year for non-iTunes-purchased music to be stored on the cloud..

    In my case the bulk of my music came from CDs I ripped into MP3s and a few WMA. The rest come from Amazon.

    As far as backing up the device besides Google contacts and Picassa. I run a custom ROM so I make full back ups (of multiple OS ROMs) to the External 32GB SD card of the OS apps and data. on the internal SD card. SO basically I can perfom a complete and total restore or backup without any WiFi or Carrier signal.

    I keep my music on the external SD card. I recently backed up my library to the Google clould and it took a few days LOL But the music is mine. Amazon has a pretty good deal as well.

    I have an Itouch as well but don't use it much since the Samsung Galaxy series came out.
    Not all Androids can run custom ROMs or have expansion card slots.

    The Nexus S doesn't 't have an expansion card slot.

    iPhones can use Amazon music too. iTunes music is sandboxed, though there are a number of other browsers and music players that allow for downloading music and creating playlists or streaming from most any server. Box.net gives iOS users 50 GB. of storage for free.

    Really, the way phones are designed these days around the cloud, the need for an SD card or expansion card slot is no longer a necessity -Android OS or other -though iOS users of iPhones 4 and up and iPads can use an SD card adapter with the dock connector, if one really has to revert to legacy phone technology.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,206
    Phones
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Samsung Note II N7100
    Samsung
    Carrier
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Not all Androids can run custom ROMs or have expansion card slots.

    The Nexus S doesn't 't have an expansion card slot.

    iPhones can use Amazon music too. iTunes music is sandboxed, though there are a number of other browsers and music players that allow for downloading music and creating playlists or streaming from most any server. Box.net gives iOS users 50 GB. of storage for free.

    Really, the way phones are designed these days around the cloud, the need for an SD card or expansion card slot is no longer a necessity -Android OS or other -though iOS users of iPhones 4 and up and iPads can use an SD card adapter with the dock connector, if one really has to revert to legacy phone technology.
    I would not won a device like this without onboard external storage ability. I don;t know of any main stream Android phone that cannot run a custom ROM. One of the advantages of Android is that ability to do so, XDA has custom ROM developers for every Android phone available. Takes about 5 minutes to root and install your own OS,

    Samsung just passed iPhone in sales for a reason....options.

    I still prefer having the External card. I don't need a WL signal to get at all my information. It uses less battery to play from the card than stream from the cloud as well. Don't have to worry about weak carrier signals, buildings, tunnels, or worse bumping into the data limits. (although I am on the dumb phone unlimited data plan for $10 because I am using a non ATT registered International phone).

    Plus I can move the card from device to device. I use the cloud for back up mostly and as a last resort. I have a feeling they will eliminate card slots to force people to use the cloud services soon and then charge more for storage. I don;t think the cloud should replace interchangeable 32GB memory cards. I hope Samsung keeps the SD card technology in their devices.

    I think the SD card slot is vital to the technology until the carriers have much better and faster signals everywhere. Even then I still don't want access to my data dependent on anything outside my control.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    I & I, is Everywhere
    Posts
    6,080
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is a reason why we ALL lock ourselves into a closed ecosystem - google included.

    Benefits of scale by large companies. The 20'000 songs means nothing to me in Canada; no plans hinted or announce by Google as its a wait & see what the market leader does. I also back up my system for clean restore that does not affect local sync data. Music pictures don't count against it and if it does then I can use music match in the cloud on any pc or phone or tablet. Moreover it works with documents in my Mac. Lastly I don't worry about real ownership of my data in the cloud as google advertises on my access pages and they can do anything with your data.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,624
    Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bong View Post
    I would not won a device like this without onboard external storage ability. I don;t know of any main stream Android phone that cannot run a custom ROM. One of the advantages of Android is that ability to do so, XDA has custom ROM developers for every Android phone available. Takes about 5 minutes to root and install your own OS,

    Samsung just passed iPhone in sales for a reason....options.

    I still prefer having the External card. I don't need a WL signal to get at all my information. It uses less battery to play from the card than stream from the cloud as well. Don't have to worry about weak carrier signals, buildings, tunnels, or worse bumping into the data limits. (although I am on the dumb phone unlimited data plan for $10 because I am using a non ATT registered International phone).

    Plus I can move the card from device to device. I use the cloud for back up mostly and as a last resort. I have a feeling they will eliminate card slots to force people to use the cloud services soon and then charge more for storage. I don;t think the cloud should replace interchangeable 32GB memory cards. I hope Samsung keeps the SD card technology in their devices.

    I think the SD card slot is vital to the technology until the carriers have much better and faster signals everywhere. Even then I still don't want access to my data dependent on anything outside my control.
    None of that helps an Android user who wants to sync with iCloud.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. did i just wake up to iCloud?
    By augustborn99 in forum Apple
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM
  2. Do I sign up for iCloud or wait?
    By showardcooper in forum Apple
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
  4. New possibility for iCloud?
    By PatrickGSR94 in forum Apple
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
  5. restore Android 1.6 data on Android 2.1 phone
    By percyng in forum Android
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •