Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Straight talk the marketing lies unlimited

Feedback Score

Straight talk the marketing lies unlimited

Straight talk is calling users with automated systems now. They threaten to kill your data on usage. I just received this call on exact usage of 1.256gb. This company markets unlimited yet the tos does not say any number. This in my book will deserve a good class action. I will pursue one of my attorney buddies that love to take cases on shady marketing practices. I love the service just do not like the hidden unlimited they blatantly market to their users. what a great reason to jump for true unlimited with virgin mobile on Motorola triumph!!!! great timing!!!! Now I understand and respect all the other companies with the small text saying they are really not unlimited but straight talk has not had this and when they say one thing and really mean another it really pisses me off..

Sent from my own personal phone using a dummy phone company connection to terminate

EDIT: Straight Talk LIMIT has been ADMITTED to 5GB
    Last edited by codekill; 07-12-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: EDIT: Straight talks LIMIT IS 5GB

Phones
    Motorola Atrix 2
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If I ever get one of these calls, I will be switching carriers as well.

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by codekill View Post
    Straight talk is calling users with automated systems now. They threaten to kill your data on usage. I just received this call on exact usage of 1.256gb. This company markets unlimited yet the tos does not say any number. This in my book will deserve a good class action. I will pursue one of my attorney buddies that love to take cases on shady marketing practices. I love the service just do not like the hidden unlimited they blatantly market to their users. what a great reason to jump for true unlimited with virgin mobile on Motorola triumph!!!! great timing!!!! Now I understand and respect all the other companies with the small text saying they are really not unlimited but straight talk has not had this and when they say one thing and really mean another it really pisses me off..

Sent from my own personal phone using a dummy phone company connection to terminate
    It's all in the TOS

How many days did it take you to use that amount of data?

From the website:

"Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, or discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, that, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier’s network or the Carrier’s ability to provide service to other customers"

Feedback Score
    oh wow. Sounds like Straight Talk is lowering the data cap on their "Unlimited Everything Plan" :-(. New data cap sounds like it will be 1gb!

@codekill: What phone are you using on ST & How accurate is your data counter? I usually add 100mb to whatever my phones reports. I typically use 600-700mb a month and luckily have not received any calls yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    It's all in the TOS

How many days did it take you to use that amount of data?

From the website:

"Straight Talk may discontinue providing Service to you, discontinue your account, or discontinue providing connections to particular telephone numbers or types of Services used or called by you, that, in the sole judgment of Straight Talk: (1) appear likely to generate abnormally high call volumes or Mobile Web Access and data usage and/or abnormally long average call lengths or Mobile Web Access and data usage as compared to the usage of other Straight Talk customers; (2) may be harmful, disruptive, or interfere with the Carrier’s network or the Carrier’s ability to provide service to other customers"
    And this tells the user what????? There is no specific number.... This is a easy blanket for them yet the Marketing to the average user is UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. Kinda sucks for the normal joe that uses their devices on the service that lies to them. Yet they want to risk my safety by shutting a phone off IF i hit this INVISIBLE limit on UNLIMITED? Now im not super mad just annoyed that companies want to rip off the user by false advertising. Straight talk gets big and now they are striking back? SHADDY Marketing tactics to gain position in the industry does not look good. A lawsuit here and there doesnt hurt them does it? but marketing to a broader audience is the key goal who cares about the true meaning of unlimited just say it so people buy it. Has anyone else gotten a Automated phone call about the possible termination?

Feedback Score
    billm26 brings up a good point! I read when I was researching Straight Talk and preaching on this forum that 130mb a day seems to be the allowance from Straight Talk! So they monitor the amount of data you use in a month AND the rate of data you use in a day!! Something to keep in mind. I typically use 20-60mb a day.

Feedback Score
    June 15 till Jully 12 But the point here I think is the consumer is being lied to... I can care less about the service I carry a AT&T unlimited line but was testing this out as a alternative to save some $$$. Data counter is damn accurate when i had it on my ATT usage matched spot on. I watched the ST forums awhile before jumping in. I jumped in knowing this might happen so i watched my data usage and bam. What even gets me is I refused to stream on this device so I bought a Virgin Optimus V for my Pandora usage to stream in the car @ 25 a month. Big deal that was chump change totaling both lines 70 bucks and change. I am a strong advocate in consumer awareness and dislike the abuse that companies are putting people through. Times are tuff and more and more people are getting shafted by big business like this. I dont like lies and this company needs to come clean on its usage policy. GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT dont write a blanket contract that might cover your *** with no real limits shown

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    And this tells the user what????? There is no specific number.... This is a easy blanket for them yet the Marketing to the average user is UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. Kinda sucks for the normal joe that uses their devices on the service that lies to them. Yet they want to risk my safety by shutting a phone off IF i hit this INVISIBLE limit on UNLIMITED? Now im not super mad just annoyed that companies want to rip off the user by false advertising. Straight talk gets big and now they are striking back? SHADDY Marketing tactics to gain position in the industry does not look good. A lawsuit here and there doesnt hurt them does it? but marketing to a broader audience is the key goal who cares about the true meaning of unlimited just say it so people buy it. Has anyone else gotten a Automated phone call about the possible termination?
    I see your relatively new to the forums and maybe you didn't realize it however,
    Your not the first one to bring a dog to this fight nor complain about it as many of the MVNO companies have hidden caps.

You argument is well grounded and understood by everyone here but I don't think they are worried about any lawsuits.

Are you using a Straight Talk phone or are you using a data hungry Android or iPhone with ST SIM?

Feedback Score
    Regardless of the Hidden Caps MVNO's are Marketing Lies on UNLIMITED to gain share

I cannot stand tactics that hurt the consumer and leading them to believe they can go Alacarte

Im personally not hurt on this ill just return the phone to walmart.

Big Telco got slapped many times for their CapGate lawsuits.

MVNOs are next

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Regardless of the Hidden Caps MVNO's are Marketing Lies on UNLIMITED to gain share

I cannot stand tactics that hurt the consumer and leading them to believe they can go Alacarte

Im personally not hurt on this ill just return the phone to walmart.

Big Telco got slapped many times for their CapGate lawsuits.

MVNOs are next
    If the service works for you, your better off with T-Mobile's prepaid unlimited plan. About 63.00 a month using online refills and NO handset restrictions at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    If the service works for you, your better off with T-Mobile's prepaid unlimited plan. About 63.00 a month using online refills and NO handset restrictions at all.
    I thought there was a 2GB limit on TMobile?

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I thought there was a 2GB limit on TMobile?
    Nope.

It's a good deals as long as it survives the merger.
    http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Feedback Score
    Sweet ill grab it and try it out.... But really its Unlimited and does it include 4g? lol but thats besides the point right now its the Caps lol

Feedback Score
    The limited unlimited data isn't exclusive of Straight Talk, but when you read the fine print you find the limit, e.g. 5gb, 2gb, 1gb. But with Straight Talk the limit is unknown, and is a subjective limit, that can be any number to the will of Straight Talk. The problem here appears to be the 3g phones, by market presure they introduced 3g phones but they aren't prepared for the data usage of those phones. They want to sell 3g phones to attract new costumers but pretend that costumers use them like if they were Edge phones. Why you want to buy a 3g if you can't use it like one? TOS prohibits the use of youtube app but my E71 came with the app preinstalled.

Net 10 has a $50 unlimited plan with Edge phones, I used the LG900g (piece of crap) with this plan, and the data usage is not metered in mb but by the minute, so you can literaly be using data 24/7 during the 30 days of the plan without problems.

Everytime this issue arraise someone copy and paste the TOS, so everyone is aware of it, but what I think the vast majority of Straight Talk 3g phone users want is to know a number. The $30 plan has 30mb of data, that is ridiculous but you have a number.

Straight Talk put a figure to the data usage, so we can manage our data usage accordingly or move to another company.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST is not looking just at 30 day useage, at the end of 30 days it is too late to LIMIT the abuse. If they look at short term useage they can stop abuse before it can go over their unpublished monthly useage. It seems plausable their objective is to allow ZERO users to ever go over the 30 day limit. The key is short term useage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast