Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Droid 3 work on Page Plus?

Feedback Score

Will Droid 3 work on Page Plus?

Don't hate me for asking this, but I just found out that the Droid 3 will have it's bootloader locked...that means no custom ROMs. Does this affect it's ability to be used on Page Plus? BTW, it's not an LTE phone.

I was thinking about buying a new retail version of this phone because of the 1080p video capabilities...I want to be able to film my 3-year-old girl. I had to re-write the settings in my LG Env Touch using BitPim in order to get data to work...but the instructions were already out there in the wild. I program in VB.Net...so I'm far from an expert like most of you guys. I don't want to be the guinea pig! But, considering that I'll mostly be using wi-fi and not 3G, maybe I won't have to screw with it? Maybe it would work with Page Plus right out of the box? What are your thoughts?!

Phones
    Samsung R451C
    LG vx9800 The V
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    rooting/custom roms has nothing to do with activation on pageplus.

and form what ive heard, everything works (mms, web) when you activate a droid on pageplus.

Phones
    Nokia N8
    Captivate
    Defy (MB525)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Shaolinchamp is right about not needing a rooted phone / custom ROM.

Even though the bootloader is locked, that may not be an issue. I am assuming they will do it the same way they did the Moto Defy. There is a work-around at XDA Developers with the locked Moto bootloader.
    You can either eat the two peanuts I gave to you, or crush them..

- I'm bout to show a city slicker how to kick it in the sticks -

Carrier
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    not that it has anything to do with activation on PP, but the locked bootloader restriction on the D3 and DX2 are bypassed the same way as the existing D2 and DX.

And it'll work just fine as-is on PP.

I kind of want one, but i just got the DX that i've been wanting...
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I just bought a Droid 3 on Ebay. It hasn't arrived yet, but I plan to activate it on PagePlus, through Kitty Wireless. I have a few questions for anyone who knows about these things:

-- I understand there has been a firmware update for the Droid 3 (5.6.890.XT862). Normally this would go out to Verizon customers over the air. Can PagePlus users get it? (I want to keep my data usage to a minimum, so ideally I want to get it online.)

-- I want to do that update, and also root the Droid, and also unlock the GSM radio for overseas use. Assuming I can do them all, does it matter what order I do them in? (I plan to buy an unlock code on Ebay from one of proven suppliers mentioned elsewhere on HoFo -- swiftunlocks, I seem to recall.)

Thanks for any advice, from a smartphone newbie. (Finally moving out of the 20th century.)

Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Not sure why reference to a "feline wireless" service got automatically changed to Hofo above. . . .

Carrier
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
    -- I understand there has been a firmware update for the Droid 3 (5.6.890.XT862). Normally this would go out to Verizon customers over the air. Can PagePlus users get it? (I want to keep my data usage to a minimum, so ideally I want to get it online.)

-- I want to do that update, and also root the Droid, and also unlock the GSM radio for overseas use. Assuming I can do them all, does it matter what order I do them in? (I plan to buy an unlock code on Ebay from one of proven suppliers mentioned elsewhere on HoFo -- swiftunlocks, I seem to recall.)
    -Your phone will probably attempt to do the update when it sees a wireless connection. You can cancel the update, then after its fully activated, connect to wifi somewhere, disable the cell radio, and manually prompt it to look for updates then

-Activate, Update, THEN root. You can do the unlock at any point. I've bought a few codes from swiftunlocks with good results. If you email him directly (swiftunlocks@gmail.com) you dont have to buy it via ebay, and it may be cheaper. He accepts google checkout, which is why I use him, vs other guys who are paypal only.

-References to non-vendor dealers are typically censored.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
    Not sure why reference to a "feline wireless" service got automatically changed to Hofo above. . . .
    because she was a noted spammer that got banned from HOFO about a year ago.. although now she is a paid advertiser here so i guess but i'm unsure if she ever got 'un-banned'

edit: just checked, her profile is still officially banned: http://www.howardforums.com/member.php/772735-Kitty

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it might be borderline to call it spamming. It might be more accurate to call it overenthusiastic posting...but it was enough for HF to impose a ban.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Phone
    Galaxy Note II / Droid 3
    Carrier
    t-mobile / Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kri5tian View Post
    Don't hate me for asking this, but I just found out that the Droid 3 will have it's bootloader locked...that means no custom ROMs. Does this affect it's ability to be used on Page Plus? BTW, it's not an LTE phone.

I was thinking about buying a new retail version of this phone because of the 1080p video capabilities...I want to be able to film my 3-year-old girl. I had to re-write the settings in my LG Env Touch using BitPim in order to get data to work...but the instructions were already out there in the wild. I program in VB.Net...so I'm far from an expert like most of you guys. I don't want to be the guinea pig! But, considering that I'll mostly be using wi-fi and not 3G, maybe I won't have to screw with it? Maybe it would work with Page Plus right out of the box? What are your thoughts?!
    Yes the droid3 will happily work on PPC network, and all types of srrvices will work just fine, as far as I have encountered. There will need to. Be some manual setup in the beginning, minimal, about 5 min or so. Otherwise voice doesn't work, if you just do the default programming by PPC.

PPC representative walked me through the process, and its work jsut fine since. Not sure if they aalways offer this type of service for free, but it was not very complicated.

I think that there are a couple of other threads where I mentioned the same thing.

Sent from my DROID3 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathcab View Post
    because she was a noted spammer that got banned from HOFO about a year ago.. although now she is a paid advertiser here so i guess but i'm unsure if she ever got 'un-banned'

edit: just checked, her profile is still officially banned: http://www.howardforums.com/member.php/772735-Kitty
    I was not here then, but a simple search of posts by username Kitty shows extensive assistance by that user for other users. It seems like that user helped out a great deal here and has gone on to continue to provide such in other venues.

It baffles me why people are denied knowledge about such a reliable and updated resource.

Oh well.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Me, too, but neither you or I own the forum, and it is up to the forum owner, and the forum owner has every right to make those decisions.

Feedback Score
    Bought a New Motorola Droid 3 x862 from thebluedot.net. I activated it with page plus. The phone and texting works. Although the (mobile wireless) internet and picture messaging will not work. I was on the phone with a Page Plus technician for 25 minutes and they cannot figure it out. ****! Thanks, Jared.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 900fillpower View Post
    Bought a New Motorola Droid 3 x862 from thebluedot.net. I activated it with page plus. The phone and texting works. Although the (mobile wireless) internet and picture messaging will not work. I was on the phone with a Page Plus technician for 25 minutes and they cannot figure it out. ****! Thanks, Jared.
    After a correct ESN activation Vzw Droid 3 will work with *228 OTA programming. No other manual programming is needed. If it won't work, I'd suspect a defective device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    After a correct ESN activation Vzw Droid 3 will work with *228 OTA programming. No other manual programming is needed. If it won't work, I'd suspect a defective device.
    Thank you very much for your response. My Droid 3 must be defective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast