Thread: Decent backup phone for $14? Refurb'd ZTE F160

Carrier(s)
    Soup Cans and String Mobile
    Feedback Score

Decent backup phone for $14? Refurb'd ZTE F160

Browsing the GoPhone packages, $13.99 with free shipping (plus local sales tax) http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...age=sku5150241

Apologies if the deal's been active for a while

Looks alright as a beater/backup. 3G but no WiFi. Not a smartphone but a good size and screen. Opera Mini installed. MicroSD slot. World phone that's probably unlockable after 6-9 months. It seems to have a decent feature set if you break or lose your nice phone so the transition between phones may not be as painful as if your backup is a cheap flip...

This will make a perfect replacement for the Nokia 2330 refurb I got for $21 and that was selling for $6 for so long (and I can probably make that $21 back on ebay according to completed listings ). Goodbye GPRS speeds It'll be sitting for 98% of the time, anyway.

Oh, and grab a Palm car charger/microUSB cable for $5 more http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...urer=&q_model=
    Windows Phone.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    It is worth the 15 I paid for it. So far no problems my son however didn't like it when he had to use it when his iPhone was in the shop. But it has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with it not being the iPhone. Okay basic 3G dumbphone. The screen is big and pretty camera is okay. Has a sd card slot. Don't think it would take too much roughness. But for a back up. Definitely worth the 13. But as far as for Internet I guess ok as far as wap goes. I downloaded opera mini and each time you click on something it asks permission repeatedly which drives me crazy. Bolt will not load. And you have to change the type settings each time you start a text because it will default to itap or something like that. It is simple and basic and Good for voice. Considering it is almost free. It is ok. It is in no way a smart phone
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Note that if you are a long time GoPhone subscriber and bought these cheap phones for backup, the phone may be able to be unlocked right away, without waiting 6+ months. I have done this several times already. Just call in and ask for an unlock, and when they asked for your information just tell them your established GoPhone info (name, phone number, etc. from your old phone, only give the IMEI for the new phone).

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I got this phone a few months ago when it was $15.

I got it because it was called a "world phone" by ATT and has quadband gsm and even UMTS 2100 like they use in Europe. I wanted it for a cheap phone to use when visiting family in Europe.

I called ATT to get the subsidy unlock code (I've been ATT gophone customer for almost a year) and they said it won't be able to be unlocked until Nov/Dec because it's exclusive to ATT.

So I guess I'll wait until then and get it unlocked.

It is a nice thin, lightweight phone, camera takes decent pics.

Like pattyrn I don't like that I can't lock in the text input settings to "abc".

And the middle button goes right to the browser so you gotta watch that.

Well worth what I paid for it though especially if I can use it internationally eventually.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Can you reassign the center button so it doesn't launch the browser? Or better yet, manually turn off the data connection?

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    ryan s, no I don't think you can reassign that button.
    You can specify shortcuts for the up, down, left and right buttons.

On two other gophones we have, Nokia 2720 and Lg Neon, we can make a "dummy" internet profile and make that default and thereby avoiding accidentally accessing the internet.

But on this phone there is only the ATT profile as default and you cannot edit it, you can add another profile but not make it default.

For me it doesn't matter right now because I use the phone with a puretalk sim and they don't have data anyway.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    oh and I would like to get a silicone case for this to protect it, anyone have any idea which one would fit?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That center button is a silly thing for them to do Still, as a backup, I think I could deal with it...especially because it's impossible to find a phone with 3G for $15 shipped that doesn't look like it was run over

I saw a sleeve on Amazon the other day...it's good if you like black http://www.amazon.com/Black-Smooth-S...0745103&sr=8-1 Didn't see any on ebay at all...

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Ryan S, thanks for the link to the case! I was looking all over and couldn't find any for this particular phone.

I just want something to cushion it in case it falls down, and the phone is black so it won't be that noticeable.

Yeah I know, alot of phones are like that, easy to press the browser button, another one I have, Pantech Link does that too.

But like you said, hard to find a phone with 3 G (and quadband) for that price!

Carrier(s)
    ATT Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I'm just bumping up this thread because I was finally able to get the subsidy unlock code for this phone from ATT the other day. There was a wait time until Nov 7th because it was an ATT exclusive.

The Rep just quickly checked how long I had my Gophone account (15 mos) and asked for the IMEI and then right away gave me the unlock code.

Feedback Score
    I got this phone for international travel, since it is capable of UMTS 2100 band. Usually, when at&t start giving out the unlock codes, the codes are available within a couple of days from vendors for about $1.00... So I got mine unlocked even though I do not have a gophone account..

BTW, the phone has a good appearance, but it does not have speed dial feature.... I can use it for the trip to Japan (Europe does not need UMTS 2100.. regular quad band phone will be just fine), but other than that, I don't see much usage..

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I picked one of these up when ATT brought them back for $14. Seems ok for a backup, but I definitely wouldn't be looking forward to using it every day.

The media player is horrendous, for one...it's just a big list with no way to hit T to skip to the T section. The card slot is somewhat vestigial in that case...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I prolly should have done that. I picked up that AT&T/Huawei U2800A for $20. I was in Target. It was convenient.

I was wondering a bit how a phone could be priced so low when new. Now I understand. Fisher Price toys use far better plastic than this thing. On the other hand, it is REALLY light. For the money, I think it's fine. However, I do think the F160 is a better phone. I'm naturally inclined against refurbished electronics due to bad past experiences, but now that I've used the U2800A for a tiny bit and have thought about it, if this is just a cheapy backup, who cares if you "lose" a $13 phone after a few months? I really doubt this new U2800A is gonna last all that long either with it's build quality, and I don't think it's a world phone.