Thread: What is T-Mo's position regarding smart phone- NO data plan-All data thru WIFI?

Device(s)
    V600 SE6446AXXF10F8_1FF TRIPLETS_G_0B.09.4FR reflash shx
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -SouthEast USA
    Feedback Score

What is T-Mo's position regarding smart phone- NO data plan-All data thru WIFI?

Mods- Please delete this post if needed, Why?

Created another thread on this issue because it appears that the Windows Mobile Device forum is DEAD...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...IFI?p=14469654

Hello guys and gals...

I know this question may be old hat to those that come here everyday... but what is T-Mo's position regarding unlocked (non-T-Mo subsidized) smart phone- NO data plan- All data thru "generic", non-T-Mobile WIFI hotspots?

Possible?

Wife is wanting a smart phone, have not been following T-Mo discussions so I need to be brought up to speed.

Situation -long time Powertel>Voice-stream>T-Mo customer (changing contract from time to time- as new customers always got best pricing- Existing customers paying more)... on GSM since just about day one GSM came to North America.

Out of contact- Postpaid month to month- No data. Phones from like 2005? (Motorola Razors)
    Looking for a (cheap-maybe last years model) unlocked phone to use with T-Mo USA.

Needs:
    Voice calls (duh)
    Internet access thru WIFI.
    E-mail thru WIFI. (limited e-mail use= don't need a always on- updates every ten seconds type e-mail connection - Just something to bump gmail every so often- or manually connect.

Q: 2011-07
    What is T-Mo's position regarding using a unlocked PURCHASED ELSEWHERE smart phone- Internet and the like ONLY being thru "generic" WIFI hotspots-
    EG: No "smart-phone data going thru their system?

*WIFI= Non-T-Mo Hotspots- coffee shops and the like. In a nutshell want to be able to connect to net WIHOUT a data plan via Wi-Fi

(I know T-Mo can ID phone thru ESN /IMEI, I remember vaguely some posts a while back saying they can force you into a data plan- when you only connect via WIFI? - That info might been in regard to using ATT Iphone on T-Mo- something about they would ban phone?.)

With T-Mo and all the other providers scaling back "unlimited" data plans- putting caps on 3g/4g access I would think they would WELCOME off-loading data to other sources- and still retaining the customer.

*If it matters- any unlocked quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 plus 2100 3G UMTS/HSDPA phone should work with T-Mo?
    (Ran across a cheap Verizon phone, hence my interest- Says it's a "WORLD PHONE"... Would the below be usable on the T-Mo network? Voice thru T-Mo, Data thru Wi-Fi?)

LG-VS750
    LG Fathom VS750 3.2''Touch Dual-Band CDMA/Quad-Band GSM Bluetooth 3.2MP Camera Slider Smartphone w/Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 CDMA/EVDO 800/1900
    Video Features 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
    quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900 plus 2100 3G UMTS/HSDPA

PS: I am not adverse to flashing /modding a phone/using a phone from another carrier.. debranding it etc.
    Note: Above phone is mentioned ONLY due to it's low price- It being priced low as it sounds like Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro is old hat, not supported very well.
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-14-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Mods-Please delete- Forum is dead

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Dont know about postpaid now but I have several smartphones on Tmo prepaid, no data plan, just using Wifi. Also Tmo has $1.50/day Data pass. These phones include several WM (Fuze/TP, Dash, TP2), and a MyTouch 3G. Its my understanding that while certain of the lastest Androids require a data plan, older legacy smartphones do not (eg WM). It would be wiser though to sign up with a dumb phone, then swap SIM. And certainly you are safe with non TMo phones like AT&T unlocked (no 3G service though) -- Tmo doesnt have IMEIs for everything, mostly just their stuff.

Device(s)
    V600 SE6446AXXF10F8_1FF TRIPLETS_G_0B.09.4FR reflash shx
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -SouthEast USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Dont know about postpaid now but I have several smartphones on Tmo prepaid, no data plan, just using Wifi. Also Tmo has $1.50/day Data pass. These phones include several WM (Fuze/TP, Dash, TP2), and a MyTouch 3G. Its my understanding that while certain of the lastest Androids require a data plan, older legacy smartphones do not (eg WM). It would be wiser though to sign up with a dumb phone, then swap SIM. And certainly you are safe with non TMo phones like AT&T unlocked (no 3G service though) -- Tmo doesnt have IMEIs for everything, mostly just their stuff.

Appreciate your thoughts- and confirming Wif-Fi is a doable without a data plan. In thread linked to above IIRC I got only (2) responses stating such..

Sort of surprised not to be getting much response on Wif-Fi being "doable" without a data plan, I would think persons to this would be old-hat would be chiming in on the pitfalls of using a "SmartPhone" device via Wif-Fi only. .

Off-Topic but as the thread creator I have some questions for you as you are living what I'm looking to do.

EG: SmartPhones with No Data, and looking to reduce YEARLY bill.
    (I've read posts here and there people who use small amount of minutes saying via pre-paid cards their yearly bill= $100>$200)

Pre-Paid vs Post-Paid:
    Currently out of contract -($75 2-lines) and have been considering pre-paid as our (billable) minutes used is probably 400 minutes or less estimated... Most calls are T-Mo to T-Mo.
    (Wife will call her sister (during peak times)... which runs minutes to 400 ... Trying to figure breakpoint post-paid, vs pre-paid occurs.)

Pre-Paid questions:

Q: How much per minute?
    Q: T-Mo to T-Mo billable?
    Q: Nights,Weekends free?

Q: Minutes expire? ( I remember vaguely something about minutes expire, or don't)
    Q: I would assume minutes can be tracked, purchased online- (Wife wanted to know)

Q: T-Mo had a while back a Fav-5 dialing circle in which calls to such are FREE.

Do they still have something like that which:
    A: Does not require a new contract (Post-Paid) - as I'm out of contact.
    B:Can be set-up via Pre_paid?

I have been looking into VOIP, and ran across setting up VOIP, linking Cell phone that has a Fav-5 type dialing circle so free calls can be made thru it /Google Voice so minutes are not billable...

Q: Ever heard about setting up VOIP, linking Cell phone that has a Fav-5 type dialing circle so calls are FREE... Pre, Or Post Paid?
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 08-01-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Edited average minutes