Thread: tracfone and web browsing?

Feedback Score

tracfone and web browsing?

If I were to get, say, an LG 500G on tracfone, would I have any issues with web browsing to any site I wanted to visit? Anything special I would need to do for browsing, or simply buy the phone, activate it, and start browsing?

Also, any known issues with receiving email to the phone?

Thanks.

Scott

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Tracphone isn't web browsing, it's pay per minute to go through their portal and it's restricted view. Get a test drive at a store or from another user willing to part with the minutes and you'll see it's slow, the screen size on the 500G restrictive (even if it is huge compared to most flips or bar phones,) and for me, the system won't access something as simple as weather radar without timing out - and still charging me minutes.

My oldest son got a 3G Iphone, at $75/mo it's still a luxury compared to the real use of even a small netbook for less than $30 a month for DSL. He pretty much restricts surfing to where wifi is up, to increase download times and get faster response. Another user at work only gets to use it on lunch break or in bad weather to check radar, most of the time he's simply too busy on the clock to sit around and get paid to surf. Battery life is poor under those conditions anyway, a daily recharge becomes necessary.

Take a longer look and see if it's really what you want - my youngest son is on a boostmobile $50 a month pay as you go plan, and even he doesn't use the web much on his phone. Plus, $50 is killing him to keep it up, he's finally realizing (at the wise age of 16,) that it's expensive. He's trying to move the phone to a cheaper plan with no Web without losing the use of his special phone.

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    I've been with Tracfone for a while, I don't use my cellphone that much, mostly just to keep in touch when away from home or with my kids when they're out. Text and talk mostly, I never really use the browser, costs too much and too slow.

We already pay $20 a month for our DSL at home and it's alot easier and faster for me to access email and surf the web on the PC.

From what I've read if you want to use the internet/access email, Straighttalk is the better one of the three, Tracfone, Net10 and ST. First they give you an allowance for web access on both their plans and people that use their phones alot seem to think the unlimited plan at $45 is a good deal.
    And second supposedly the internet is not restricted like with TF and Net10 browsers.

So maybe ask some questions in the ST forum and have them help you decide.

Depends how much you want to spend a month and what kind of phone you want and also what network works best in your area.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wy1z View Post
    If I were to get, say, an LG 500G on tracfone, would I have any issues with web browsing to any site I wanted to visit? Anything special I would need to do for browsing, or simply buy the phone, activate it, and start browsing?

Also, any known issues with receiving email to the phone?

Thanks.

Scott
    On my LG800G I am not locked from visiting sites on the internet - think it's like that for the LG500G as well. However, the default internet browser has limitations - it is OK for visiting sites that have mobile versions (meaning sites like m.google.com, etc), but if you visit full up versions of sites, you are likely to get "connection error - page too large" or similar. You can solve that problem, however, by installing an alternative browser like Opera mini or Bolt - these allow a much better browsing experience - and allow you to view a lot more than the default web browser ever will (i.e., no or much less connection errors).

Recommendation (for the LG800G) for those who insist on using the default browser - don't use the internet widget to go to the internet - get rid of that widget and instead select Settings, Browser, and select Enter Address or Bookmarks and type in your address (or select New Bookmark if it's one you'll go to often) and then proceed. This avoids going to that Tracfone homepage and wasting minutes...

Still, it is a Tracfone, not a laptop/netbook/ipad, it is slow, and has a very small screen, and you will use up a lot of minutes browsing the internet this way, so I do it very, very sparingly. As for email, I haven't found an email app that works to check email - other than ones that just launch the default web browser for email web-based applications. So you do best to bookmark your web-based email application and check email like that (using Opera mini). Still, sometimes it just doesn't log in to my Hotmail for some unknown reason, and the Bolt browser has never successfully logged into my Hotmail account.