Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using another SMS/MMS app on Sharp Android phones with Softbank (Go SMS Pro)

Device(s)
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Using another SMS/MMS app on Sharp Android phones with Softbank (Go SMS Pro)

First download the following apps:
    Go SMS Pro
    Go SMS Emoji Plugin

Under Receive Settings, check the Disable other message notification checkbox. This means SMS will only be received in Go SMS but unfortunately it cannot stop the MMS from being received by the stock app (more on that later)

In MMS Settings:
    Check the Fill user agent manually checkbox (under User Agent)
    Change the user agent to this:
    Vodafone/1.0/V802SE/SEJ002 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    (Cant make any mistakes, so best to copy/paste)
    Under APN Configuration, select Custom Access Point
    MMSC: http://mms
    MMS Proxy: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    MMS Port: 8080

Under Important Tips, select the checkbox saying Stock messaging app uninstalled
    If you dont select this then Go SMS wont download MMS at all. In that case Go SMS can be used for SMS only (i.e. other Softbank only) - MMS would go to the stock Softbank app.

In my case i hated how the Softbank app chews up 100% of the CPU for about 30 seconds as it tries to download an MMS. When you are playing a game it really makes you hate the sender for screwing up your gameplay!

Lastly go into the Softbank mail application
    Settings → S!Mail Settings → Receive/Display Settings → Mail receive method → Change to Sender/Subject only. Then under notification settings, turn off the lamp, turn off vibration, change the notification sound to be something quiet like "Facebook Pop"

After all of that, when you get an email you will get a double notification - one from Go SMS and one from Softbank. Thats unavoidable unless you uninstall the Softbank app. But only Go SMS will get the full MMS, and you can keep ignoring the Softbank mail notifications

Seems to be working good for me so far. I love being able to type and reply to messages without the annoying "sending" screen. And being able to see new messages as they appear instead of having to get out of the message being edited, to see the new messages

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    This works too with unlocked android phones btw. With the bonus that you can completely disable notifications from the stock sms app.

Great write up!

Device(s)
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah i would happily uninstall the Softbank app if i could. I dont understand how they can release a phone with less than 400mb of internal memory (with under 150mb free at purhcase time thanks to all the preinstalled apps); yet insist that the mail app stores all of its messages on the internal memory, with no feasible bulk backup option.

Device(s)
    HTC One X LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers | Three HK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
    Yeah i would happily uninstall the Softbank app if i could. I dont understand how they can release a phone with less than 400mb of internal memory (with under 150mb free at purhcase time thanks to all the preinstalled apps); yet insist that the mail app stores all of its messages on the internal memory, with no feasible bulk backup option.
    You'll be glad to hear that they've fixed this internal memory issue on the newer Sharps (at least on the SH-12C they did). Out of the box, I had a smidgen over 1GB of internal storage free for me to play with.
    iPhone 6s | N-06C

Carrier(s)
    Softbank Japan
    Feedback Score
    tokyo_dom, you are a star, mate!!

Been wanting to set Go SMS Pro up for ages to do MMS. Been doing SMS on it for a while, but never got the right user agent to set up MMS properly. Your instructions worked a treat on my Desire HD (Softbank). I don't even seem to be getting dual notifications after a bit of tweaking. Brilliant.

Have tested emoji - iPhone folks can see ok. Not sure how my Docomo or AU friends will go - yet to test.

Also, in Go SMS Pro when sending MMS, clicking on add contact to send only brings up phone numbers (not mail addresses). If I want to send, I have to actually type the email address each time - a royal PITA. You or anyone else here got that, too?

So good to see the back of that God-awful Softbank Mail app. It truly is dreadful, and after visiting three different Softbank shops (inc. Omotesando) and receiving only "You just have to wait for it to be updated, sorry" responses, I don't think I will every find a need for it again. I want to now uninstall it completely...

Device(s)
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You are lucky the DHD is rooted so you could uninstall it if you want. Havent felt the desire to go back to the stock app once since i started using Go SMS Pro (ok, i lie, i kind of liked being able to use the hardware keyboard to bring up the emoji list)

And yes, the emoji are visible on AU/Docomo/regular softbank/Willcom, i have checked and can confirm that.

I emailed them about that contacts/email addresses issue but didnt get any response. Will try sending again. Maybe if you do it too they might finally implement it?

Carrier(s)
    Softbank Japan
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again.

Yes, appears that the emoji is all good with other carriers. As far as notifications go, sometimes I get them sometimes I don't on the (now unused) Softbank Mail app. Interestingly, the new messages on Go SMS Pro show up with a 'play' like triangle on them in the thread. I guess that is usual. Hope they get that contact list issue sorted soon - that would make it sooo much better.

As far as rooting goes, I upgraded to Gingerbread and am guessing I need S-off on there to root the phone. Am new to the forum here, so might see if I can dig up more on that one.

Device(s)
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Funny, i get the full MMS (with pictures, links etc) in the thread when a new email comes in. I wonder if there is another setting which i inadvertently changed.

That reminds me of my only other 'gripe' though; i *do* get the triangle play icon when i use pop-up notifications, or the widget for showing MMS. Cant complain too much though, both of those were not possible at all with the stock messaging app. But would be nice. Going to see if i can email them about that too...

Carrier(s)
    Softbank Japan
    Feedback Score
    Hey, tokyo_dom. Any updates on this?

I am still using your set up above, but find that:

1) I get cases where a Docomo user will send a mail that can't be read in GoSms (despite the notification telling me it has gone there). It "fails to download", and I then have to open the Softbank mail app to view it ( I also get an icon at screen top from Softbank app).
    2) Still get the triangle in thread about half the time when I have received an MMS. Clicking it will bring up the message full screen, with big-arsed emoji at top and bottom only.
    3) Sending to Docomo users out of GoSms is hit and miss - often times, it will take about three tries until successful. I don't recall that happening so much a few months ago.

Also, I think the more recent updates of the Softbank app have changed settings to what you described in the write up.

Anyways, I will keep using this set up as it seems that Softbank will continue to take the piss with their MMS mail app until the end of time. Cheers again.

Device(s)
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Carrier(s)
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi there... I am still using GO SMS, though it has slowed down considerably now that i have a few thousand SMS/MMS in there (1500 in one thread alone). One of my main gripes with the SB mail app (100% CPU usage during sending/receiving), occurs with GoSMS as well now so i guess the only merits for me now are threaded message view and lack of 'sending' screen

I am toying with the idea of hard-resetting my phone to get back to a clean-slate, but also want to see what the SB mail app looks like after a 2.34 update.

I think i know what you mean by point 2. If the MMS contains images embedded in the text - somewhat like HTML format, then it gets the play icon. In Docomo phones, if you use some of the non-standard emoji, they are actually html messages with the emoji attached as images.
    This is a weakpoint of Go-SMS. It was designed for SMS/MMS formatted messages, whereas the stock mail app actually displays full HTML emails just like a proper email client.

I too have gotten a couple of "failed to download" messages. It will systematically fail for any MMS larger than a few hundred kb. When people send me large pics, i usually have to go to the stock mail app to download it

There is one more update though... Since posting this, i have found another app which would be very useful:
    Softbank MMSReq (https://market.android.com/details?i...android.mmsreq)

This simulates the softbank "check for new emails" function that the stock email app does. The first time you use it you need to set up which web Proxy it should use (pband (andglobal)), and after that, just start it and press the button to get it to check the server (new messages will automatically get downloaded by your MMS client)

Feedback Score

Exclamation Hope this thread isn't totally dead...

Hi guys,

I've spent the entire day trying to get this to work.

Just FYI, I have a Nexus S, rooted, Cyanogen mod 7 and just got a prepaid sim from softbank.

I've followed the instructions given here to the letter. Go SMS Pro is certainly a better app than the Softbank crap.

I can received messages, as in I caan see the title, but when I click them it says "Currently Unable to Download. Please Try Again Later". The same thing happens in the softbank app or another mms.apk I got where you could change the User Agent from a list. I also cannot send any messages, it just sits there with the little circle going around and around.

I've tried both the APNs that came with the Sim (Softbank(open) and Softbank(smile.world)) with no luck at all. I also downloaded the App Tokyo_Dom suggested, but it fails with any APN or web proxy combination.

I've also looked at other APNs online and tried a whole bunch.

I don't understand what setting is wrong. I've literally spent about 8 hours on this now, and I think I may be going a little crazy.

ANY help with this will be rewarded with knowing you have made my year (or at least my month).

Thanks very very much,

N.

Feedback Score
    Hey, could anybody help me?

I just imported a Galaxy Note, and I am getting the same problem the poster above is getting. No matter what I do, I get a "failed to download" message. The MMSReq app can't connect to any servers.

Device(s)
    hTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score

hTC Desire HD MMS phone profile description?

@ Tokyo_Dom

Hi again, and thanks for always helping to everyone with great, simple, but effective solution/posts!

"
    This profile configuration is for a Sharp, SB, phone:
    Vodafone/1.0/V802SE/SEJ002 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    "
    Do you (or anyone else) happen to know which is the correct description for the SB hTC Desire HD? Please?

"
    After all of that, when you get an email you will get a double notification - one from Go SMS and one from Softbank. Thats unavoidable unless you uninstall the Softbank app. But only Go SMS will get the full MMS, and you can keep ignoring the Softbank mail notifications
    "

Have you tested what happens if you uninstall the Softbank App?

Thank you again!

Tommaso
    Italians do it better...

Device(s)
    hTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score
    @ docomo_dom
    Sorry, in my previous message I forgot to say that my phone is rooted and I run CoreDroid 9.2, GB 2.3.5.
    Thanks,
    Tommaso

Device(s)
    hTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast