Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using another SMS/MMS app on Sharp Android phones with Softbank (Go SMS Pro)

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
    Have you tested what happens if you uninstall the Softbank App?
    The SoftBank app - this and most of the others that came preinstalled with the phone - cannot be uninstalled (no root access of the 005SH and others) and it keeps running at all times (it's in the list of cached running services).

Phones
    hTC Desire HD
    hTC Desire HD
    Nokia N9
    Carriers
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score

Removing Softbank Mail App after applying Tokyo_Dom MMS fix.

@ cheeseus,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the help.

Actually no, this is not correct: ANY preinstalled japanese softbank apps (as any other bloatware) can be removed and won't keep running in the cached services. All you need is root access and a bloatware removal tool (I use Titanium Backup Pro - Bloatware Melt Away tool - it even removed the Softbank logo at startup!).

I actually loooked in the market for the Softbank Mail app, to re-install it, to apply Tokyo_Dom's fix for MMS, which - by the way - worked perfectly. But I don't have a lot of time to test removing it again etc.. and I don't want to keep it. So I was hoping that someone had already tried to remove it after applying the tweaks to see if MMS would keep working. Anyone?

But, cheeseus, anyway, thanks for replying! Appreciated!

Tommaso
    Italians do it better...

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All you need is root access and a bloatware removal tool ...
    Exactly what I said - we do not have root access because Sharp have locked their phones (I am not sure but I think the same goes for most other Japanese Androids). A few people are trying to get root access (on the SH-12C mostly) and you can read about their progress on a dedicated thread on XDA-Developers but last time I checked, they still hadn't gone past temporary root access.

So, I just like other users of Japanese Androids, just live with this bloatware and enjoy our cool phones

Sorry I can't help you with your issue. All I had to do is install Go SMS Pro, input my SMSC number and that's it! It worked right out of the box as the saying goes. Of course, I did some customizing but that's not relevant. I haven't done the MMS settings because I see no point in sending MMS - it costs me 5 times the SMS / 3 times the minute and I've got email on the phone

Phones
    hTC Desire HD
    hTC Desire HD
    Nokia N9
    Carriers
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score
    Wow... you really cannot gain root access on your Sharp? I had not heard of android devices where it was impossible but, having lived here for 11 yrs, I have no difficulty in believing you...

If it can help, my hTC DesireHD was also a Japanese version, outershell AND firmware totally Softbank barnded AND also Sim+OS locked. I even tried 2 IMEI unlock codes which failed (both) and a Sim Card spoofing (which DID work). I eventually found someone who managed to gain root access. But if you're interested in the details, please email me in private (nothing illegal, mind you), just to respeect his privacy.

... and then, there is also the IMEI modification... but we won't go into that as I'm sure that the web site will not condone nor concur with such practices. Nor do I...

Smiles,

Tommaso

Phones
    Aquos Phone SH-01D
    Sharp Galapagos 005SH
    Sharp 904SH
    Carrier
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow... you really cannot gain root access on your Sharp? I had not heard of android devices where it was impossible but, having lived here for 11 yrs, I have no difficulty in believing you...

If it can help, my hTC DesireHD was also a Japanese version, outershell AND firmware totally Softbank barnded AND also Sim+OS locked. I even tried 2 IMEI unlock codes which failed (both) and a Sim Card spoofing (which DID work). I eventually found someone who managed to gain root access. But if you're interested in the details, please email me in private (nothing illegal, mind you), just to respeect his privacy.

... and then, there is also the IMEI modification... but we won't go into that as I'm sure that the web site will not condone nor concur with such practices. Nor do I...

Smiles,

Tommaso
    I PM-ed you.
    SoftBank Androids can be unlocked to be used without a USIM card (but not with a different USIM) - it's free but you need to prove (they check) that the phone has been fully paid off. Mine is unlocked in this way. I suppose that if you gain root access and you know what you're doing, you might even succeed in breaking the USIM lock. Some guys in Russia claim to offer software unlock (GSM+3G internet and all) and perhaps that's exactly how they've managed it (via root). Anyway, we've really digressed from the thread topic (sorry, Martin!), so enough talking about this here.

Phones
    hTC Desire HD
    hTC Desire HD
    Nokia N9
    Carriers
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score
    I agree we are very OT! I apologize. My fault.
    I don't know the rules of this forum, but can we move this thread another location?
    I have some comments also on this last post.
    Smiles!
    Tommaso

Feedback Score

Thumbs up SOLVED! Nexus S on Softbank Prepaid!

Hopefully this will help others who troll online trying to get their Android (perhaps a Nexus S) to work with Prepaid Softbank.

For the fix, I did the following. Note, one or two parts MAY be unneccesary, I'll test it all later. A quick note, I initially installed the Softbank Mail app from the Market, but since I'm rooted I just uninstalled it after it was all working and it still works GREAT! So you DON'T NEED to use that app. Just FYI.

Download the following:
    Go SMS Pro
    Go SMS Emoji (if you like Emoji)
    Softbank Mail (Get rid of this if you are rooted)

Follow the instructions as stated by Tokyo_Dom, repeated here:

Go SMS
    Under Receive Settings, check the Disable other message notification checkbox. This means SMS will only be received in Go SMS but unfortunately it cannot stop the MMS from being received by the stock app (more on that later)

In MMS Settings:
    Check the Fill user agent manually checkbox (under User Agent)
    Change the user agent to this:
    Vodafone/1.0/V802SE/SEJ002 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    (Cant make any mistakes, so best to copy/paste)
    Under APN Configuration, select Custom Access Point
    MMSC: http://mms
    MMS Proxy: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    MMS Port: 8080

Under Important Tips, select the checkbox saying Stock messaging app uninstalled
    If you dont select this then Go SMS wont download MMS at all. In that case Go SMS can be used for SMS only (i.e. other Softbank only) - MMS would go to the stock Softbank app.

Softbank Mail
    Settings → S!Mail Settings → Receive/Display Settings → Mail receive method → Change to Sender/Subject only. Then under notification settings, turn off the lamp, turn off vibration, change the notification sound to be something quiet like "Facebook Pop"

APN Settings
    On your Android, go to "Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks". Make sure only "Date enabled" is checked, you don't need national or international roaming.

Then click "Access Point Names". Here I deleted EVERYTHING so it wouldn't get confused. I don't want 3G internet, as on Prepaid it is crazy expensive.

Add a new APN with the following details:
    Name: Mail Web Service (This can be anything you want)
    APN: mailwebservice.softbank.ne.jp
    Proxy: sbwapproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    Port: 8080
    Username:softbank
    Password:qceffknarlurqgbl
    Server: <Not set>
    MMSC: http://mms/ (< This is "http : // mms /" without the spaces if the forum removes urls)
    MMS Port:8080
    MCC:440
    MNC:20
    Authentication: PAP
    APN type: mms

Save this. Now, at this point you SMail/MMS MIGHT be working. If it is, congrats and please let me know. If it isn't there are a few further steps that should get you there. I've found these on different forums, so appologies if I don't give credit where due. I think I found them here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=21545288

PPP File
    There MAY be a file on your phone at : / system / etc / ppp / peers / pppd-Ril.options.

There wasn't on mine, but I created one anyway (oh yeah, probably need to be rooted for this). It contains two lines for the Username and password, which you must change to correspond to the same username and password in your APN settings. Otherwise, it never seems to use the right one, and therefore your MMS or data will not work. You'll need to root your phone and figure out how to edit or copy an edited file onto your phone. So, change those two lines to look like this:

user softbank
    password qceffknarlurqgbl

Give it a try and see if it all works.

Data On/Off
    For some reason, whenever I first turn on the phone, the messaging only receives a header for each message, but refuses to download the actual message body. Even if I click 'download' on the message in the message app, it will not work, and will give me an error.

For the solution, everytime you start up your android, go to "Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks". UNCHECK "Date enabled", then reCHECK "Date enabled".

It was specifically after this fix that my messages started to be downloaded. It may have been this alone, but I already did the other bits. I might investigate more later, but I don't want to stop a good thing ATM.

SOME OTHER TIPS AND TRICKS

1) Make sure the APN is set to "mms".
    I also found that it would work with the APN type set to blank instead of 'mms' in my APN settings. HOWEVER, with it set to blank, it was CONSTANTLY, I mean non-stop, using my 3G connection (as indicated in the status bar). It was trying to connect to the internet I presume. My Softbank prepaid service includes messaging but not internet service, nor do I have the APN for internet in my settings. But, without specifying my mms APN as 'mms' type, it trys to use that APN for internet as well. Anyway, that drained my battery very quickly! Set it to 'mms' so your 3G radio isn't working overtime to no benefit.

2) Turn Wifi Off
    It works ok for me, but some people reported the MMS/Smail only working with Wifi off. Worth a try, but for me it's no issue.

3) Alternate APNS that MIGHT work

Proxy: leave blank
    Port: leave blank
    Username:softbank
    Password:qceffknarlurqgbl
    Server:leave blank
    MMSC:http://mms/
    MMS Port:8080
    MCC:440
    MNC:20

Name: Open Softbank
    Proxy:
    Port:
    username: softbank
    Password: qceffknarlurqgbl
    Server:
    MMSC: sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 440
    MNC: 20
    Authentication type: PAP

The major difference is MMSC and MMSC Proxy. On my phone I leave the „MMS proxy“ field blank, and the proxy address from this article (sbmmsproxy.softbank.ne.jp) into the MMSC field.

apn carrier="SoftBank Internet"
    mcc="440"
    mnc="20"
    apn="andglobal.softbank.ne.jp"
    user="andg001softbank"
    password="pumbbghkpgyybsxa"
    mmsc="http://mms/"
    mmsproxy="andmms.softbank.ne.jp"
    mmsport="8080"
    type="default,mms"
    preferred="true"

Name: Softbank(open)
    APN: open.softbank.ne.jp
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: opensoftbank
    Password: ebMNuX1FIHg9d3DA
    Server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mms/
    MMS proxy: mmsopen.softbank.ne.jp
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 440
    MNC: 20
    Authentication type: <not set>
    APN type: default,dun,mms
    APN protocol: IPv4

Sorry for MegaPost, just wanted to put this togeather for others to make it easy. It's about 24 hours work to finally get it sorted.

Phones
    hTC Desire HD
    hTC Desire HD
    Nokia N9
    Carriers
    TIM (Italy)
    Feedback Score
    Hi Travisler!
    Nice work! I hope that Howard can stick this post.
    You tested this on your Nexus, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by travisler View Post

Check the Fill user agent manually checkbox (under User Agent)
    Change the user agent to this:
    Vodafone/1.0/V802SE/SEJ002 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    (Cant make any mistakes, so best to copy/paste)
    I'm not at all familiar with Android tweaking and I was wondering if this user agent would work also with my DesireHD... Any idea?

Tommaso

Phone
    HTC One X LTE
    Carrier
    Rogers | Three HK
    Feedback Score
    This post is already a sticky, isn't it?
    iPhone 5 [64GB|Black] | HTC One X LTE | NTT docomo N-06C

Feedback Score
    Hi Travisler!
    You tested this on your Nexus, correct?

I'm not at all familiar with Android tweaking and I was wondering if this user agent would work also with my DesireHD... Any idea?

Tommaso

Hey Tommaso,

Yeah this should work for any android from what I've read online. The nexus S was particularyly difficult for some reason (I met others who couldn't do it to theirs before this), but if you follow these steps it SHOULD work for any phone. Assuming it's not carrier locked, and also being rooted means you can do all the steps.

I hope this does help a wee bit.

N.

Carrier
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Does the other way around work somehow? Using the stock Softbank Mail App with another provider's MMS service (if the phone is used with hypersim or is unlocked)?

Phones
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Sharp 007SH
    Sharp 005SH
    Carrier
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unfortunately no. The reason we have to go through these steps, is because the stock softbank mail app has the APN info built into it; hence it doesnt go through the Data APN that is defined in the Android settings.

If you use a regular messaging app, it looks for the APN details, cannot find them, so MMS cannot be sent/received. But Go SMS allows you to input your own APN settings, avoiding that problem

Looking on the flipside, the Softbank mail app will try to connect to its own servers no matter where it is. If you dont have a Softbank account with them, you will not be able to connect/send/receive

Carrier
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. But I meant, is there a way to hack the app to change those internal Softbank settings?

Sent from my Nexus S using HowardForums

Phones
    NEC Medias X (N-04E)
    Sharp 007SH
    Sharp 005SH
    Carrier
    Docomo (Japan)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reverse engineering the app? Better use those skills towards a sim unlock, or getting root access.

But regardless of that, why would you want to use the stock app!?! It blows big time for rapid messaging, or normal messaging. About the only benefit i can think of is that the stock keyboard will support emoji in that app... but then that raises the question of "why the stock keyboard app?!"

Carrier
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
    Reverse engineering the app? Better use those skills towards a sim unlock, or getting root access.
    I'm far from being a pro about those kind of things. I just thought their might be a not too difficult way to achieve that. Probably I'm wrong then.

But regardless of that, why would you want to use the stock app!?!
    I just like this app, because it shows MMS messages in "E-Mail style", not those - in my opinion - ugly iPhone conversation styles...

About the only benefit i can think of is that the stock keyboard will support emoji in that app... but then that raises the question of "why the stock keyboard app?!"
    Because on some ten-key phones - like the 007SH for example - you have to use the stock keyboard app if you want the hardware keys to input text properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast