Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reception and Roaming Question LG100C and LG501C

Feedback Score

Reception and Roaming Question LG100C and LG501C

This is my first post and just wanted to say thanks for all the valuable info!!

I am new to tracfone. I purchased a LG100c bundle from Walmart over a week ago for $9.88 to give the service a try. I live in an area where my reception is great in town and not at home. This is with all cell carriers except SoLinc.

With the LG100 I get one to two bars inside my home and it shows roaming on and off. I can receive calls with just one bar and this happened a couple of times. I decided to try another phone and got the LG501C from Dollar General Friday for $20. I like this phone better it is bigger and would be easier to text with, however, the LG501 does not seem to get as much signal as the LG100c. It usually has one less bar not only at home but in areas where the
    signal is very strong. Also it never shows it is roaming and shows "no signal" in most places in my home except right up at a window.

Do you think something is wrong with the phone or is it normal for one phone to show roaming and more signal than another on the same carrier in the same area.

If so, could you recommend one of the tracfones that has "best" reception. I also read about external antennas and wonder if any of the tracfones have and external port to install one? Did not see any on the ones I looked at.

I don' t use my cell much at home but would like to have it if needed. I planned to use it to text from time to time as that would be more cost effective. Just want to get the best reception with out spending too much money.

Thanks for help!!

Smitty

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    smitty60,
    Here is something that might help with your reception but won't hurt anything if it doesn't.
    When you have reception problems with any of the CDMA phones (the models that end with a C)
    you can update the PRL on the phone. Dial *22891 and hit send, follow the instructions,
    basically just wait for it to finish. When it finishes updating the PRL you may have to hit any
    key to finish up. It will reboot the phone using the new PRL which may help your reception
    issues. If you're PRL is up to date it just installs a new copy of it on your phone so no harm
    done.

Give that a shot and see if it helps. Updating is the first thing anybody with a CDMA phone
    should try when their phone starts roaming more.

The PRL is the Preferred Roaming List, it tells the phone where to look to get the best signal.

Feedback Score
    BobbyLee,

I tried this with both phones to see what would happen. The 100c that is roaming says that my number can not be completed as dialed and is if from a local cell carrier. Message on phone say call customer service. The 501c says is programed correctly and hit any key and it reboots as you mentioned.

By the way I used *22890 does that do the same thing? I had to to this with the 501c when I activated it per the tec.support on tracfone site.

The phones are still doing the same as before I tried this.

Thanks,

Smitty

Feedback Score
    I just tried the update on the 100c while is was not roaming and it updated and now it does the same as the 501c. I only get service right at the window and no roaming. Should they not be roaming? AT least when it did I could get a call without being at the window.

Any idea about phones that would be better service?

Thanks,

Smitty

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    What's your zip code so I can check coverage information. Do you care whether you have a phone that works off ATT, T-mobile, or Verizon as long as you can get the best coverage from Tracfone? Where did you get your phone?

Feedback Score
    I take it there's no ATT service at your house either?

Nokia 2126i has a very strong radio section.
    LG200c is nearly as strong as the Nokia. LG220c appears to be the equal of the 200c.
    I don't have any experience with the 100c or 501c. If they're as good as a 200c, you aren't going to find a significantly better tracfone.

Worst case, you can put up an antenna and run the wire to where you'd want to use the phone in the house.

With absolutely no reception inside at a remote lake when the trees have leaves, I've bought the following, which gives me 2, sometimes 3 bars (out of 7) on a 2126i:

Nokia mbc-15s cradle
    Nokia axf-15s antenna coupler
    Wilson 301103 antenna on a small steel cake pan

All of the above cost me about $25-30 on eBay. I got a fantastic deal on the (outdated) Nokia parts from eBayUK.

If you find a Tracfone with an antenna jack on it, you could substitute the appropriate Wilson adapter cable for the two Nokia pieces I use. You could probably hold the axf-15s (it's an inductive coupler) against the antenna area on any cell phone with rubber bands or something. There'd be no need to buy the MBC-15 unless you had one of the Nokia phones that snaps into it.

EDIT: I did some checking. Wilson makes a small, universal coupler that attaches with Velcro (model number 359914) which should work with any tracfone, as long as you know or can figure out where the phone's internal antenna is.

Feedback Score
    My zip is 36703. I got both phones locally. They sell both gsm and cdma depending on which store you go to and Walmart sells both.

It does not matter to me, I just want the best coverage. As I mention in my first post, people with att, t-mobile and verizon phones have been at my house and verison is the only one that could get service.

I have Solinc right now and it does work at my house. I get full bars outside and 3 to 4 inside.

Smitty

Feedback Score
    Wilson makes a small, universal coupler that attaches with Velcro (model number 359914) which should work with any tracfone, as long as you know or can figure out where the phone's internal antenna is.

Combine that with a cheap magnetic antenna outside a window and it should work.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I checked the coverage maps for your zip with ATT, T-mobile, and Verizon. They're all different and all spotty. Is that a hilly area, it looks like it is from the coverage maps. Tracfone says your area is a GSM5AT meaning T-mobile and ATT but that doesn't mean you don't have Verizon, it just means they can send you a GSM phone that costs them less to operate, therefore more profit for them. If Verizon is the only one that works at your residence I bow to tamantoo's guidance on Verizon phone signal quality. You're probably on the edge of a Verizon area where signal quality makes a big difference. I agree the LG220C is good and the LG231C is the same but with a VGA camera for 10 -20 bucks more. You might want to go to the coverage maps and enter your address to see what they say your house should be getting.

ATT Coverage Map: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice
    T-Mobile Coverage Map: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx
    Verizon Coverage Map: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty60 View Post
    I just tried the update on the 100c while is was not roaming and it updated and now it does the same as the 501c. I only get service right at the window and no roaming. Should they not be roaming? AT least when it did I could get a call without being at the window.

Any idea about phones that would be better service?

Thanks,

Smitty
    Did you activate the two phones in different locations, to account for their original difference in programing and reception strength?
    Here is a method to varify the primary carier a phone is running on, plug in ANY cell phone number (if someone you know has excellent coverage, plug in their number): https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp (stop when you see the phones provider and you will not sign up the phone number)

Feedback Score
    Is somewhat hilly and lots, lots of trees. I have trees all around me.

It looks like Verizon's Coverage map shows the best coverage for my address. I will look at the phones if I can find them that you mentioned.

I will check on the antenna option that taxmantoo mentioned. That sound simple enough.

Thank you both so much!! I don't know much about phones or anything electronic for that matter. Will let you know how it turns out as I know it could help others. I have certainly learned from what others have posted.

Thanks again!! I'll probably be back with more question (Ha Ha).

Smitty

Feedback Score
    The only difference in location when I activated the two phones was different windows. The message I received on the LG100C that was roaming was a local cell provider. I thought that roaming was ok since it did not cost extra and evidently I had a little better signal but once I updated the phone it no longer roams.

Wish I understood more but I guess as they say I'll live and learn.

Smitty

Feedback Score
    Tracfancier,

I checked both number the LG100C, which was roaming, is a Verison number. The number for the LG501C says it is not a valid wireless number. What does that mean?

Smitty

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty60 View Post
    The only difference in location when I activated the two phones was different windows. The message I received on the LG100C that was roaming was a local cell provider. I thought that roaming was ok since it did not cost extra and evidently I had a little better signal but once I updated the phone it no longer roams.

Wish I understood more but I guess as they say I'll live and learn.

Smitty
    I wonder if you do the PRL update again with the phone in a bad location for its last PRL provider might you get it back the way it was??? It might update depending on the current tower(s) it can and cannot connect with??? Is there a limit to how often you can update??? I assume while traveling you can update from location to location for the best current service ????

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    smitty60,
    I had you update the PRL through the Tracfone system but since Verizon has their own system maybe their PRL is better for your situation, this won't hurt and if it makes it worse you can do the *22891 thing to go back to what you have now. Dial *228 and hit SEND, listen to the selections, it says hit 2 for the latest PRL (Preferred Roaming List), after you hit 2 it updates and then wants to reset, let it. Don't select 1, that is for Verizon customers activation and shouldn't do anything on our phones. See if that makes any difference with your reception issues.

BTW: You asked about the *22890 earlier, that updates the phone and helps tie it into the Tracfone system, that's why you had to use that during activation.

ADDED: Try the above and if it gets worse do the *22891 to get it back the way it was. Once you have it set on whichever PRL seems better check this setting and see what it says:
    Menu>Settings>System>Network>System Select
    If you're in the right spot it shoud give you three selections Home Only, Automatic A, Automatic B. Which one of yours has a check mark beside it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast