Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Triumph Wifi Hotspot Tethering

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/25.692; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Amazing! I'm unable to try it just now, but I commend you on your efforts and success!!!

I have read that the MTU for the Triumph is 1044.

androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/378427-wifi-tether.html

Maybe there's some stuff here to help refine settings as well?

prepaidandroids.net/topic/340-barnacle-wifi-tethering-problem/

I'm really looking forward to trying your solution. Congratulations and THANK YOU.

Feedback Score
    Nice job. Set the MTU on my computer to 1,472 and it works flawlessly.

Edit: Yep. After playing around with it, anything higher than 1,472 mtu set on the computer and it goes back to not working.

Phones
    VX9800
    XV6600
    Sidekick II
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Same here setting the computers MTU is the big thing. Great job....

I used Gscript from the Markert to write a script for busybox
    and used DrTcp to change my MTU on windows xp...

Thanks for the find..

Phones
    VX9800
    XV6600
    Sidekick II
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just did a speed test and had to share..

Name:  1407586641.png
Views: 3195
Size:  49.3 KB

Feedback Score
    I think we all need to politely pester the developer of Barnacle to help us out. According to their troubleshooting, other phones have similar issues
    On Samsung Vibrant the MTU of the mobile data interface is set to 1280. Since version 0.5.2, Barnacle will send ICMP packets to the client to indicate that the MTU needs to be reduced.
    If Barnacle can tell clients to lower the MTU for that phone it should be able to do it for ours, no?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd42 View Post
    Same here setting the computers MTU is the big thing. Great job....

I used Gscript from the Markert to write a script for busybox
    and used DrTcp to change my MTU on windows xp...

Thanks for the find..
    Care to post the script to help a dummy? I can't seam to be able to find or create an ifconfig file.

Nevermind ifconfig in /system/bin not xbin and found this link for win7 change:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-1d1dccb121d2

Thanks to all for this solution.

OBTW: Clockwork recovery works too! http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...kwork-recovery
    Last edited by beaviskob1; 07-30-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    with wired tether all that needs to be done is change the MTU on your computer

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8530 (but testing the Intercept)
    LG Optimus V
    Blackberry Curve 8530
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketpenguin View Post
    OK, I think I got wifi tethering working using barnacle. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Here is what I did:
    1) Uninstall barnacle.
    2) Uninstall wifi tether
    3) Re-install barnacle.
    4) Turn on barnacle.
    5) Connect laptop to barnacle wifi.
    Can browse to google.com and related sites, but not anywhere else. DNS works fine.
    6) adb shell to the triumph via usb, and su to root.
    7) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig
    Noticed that rmnet0 MTU was set at 1472. (remember barnacle complains about not being able to set mtu on rmnet0)
    Noticed that wlan0 MTU was set at 1500.
    8) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1500
    Got an error.
    9) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig wlan mtu 1472
    No error, but still no better connecting to other sites. Hmm. What if I set it lower?
    10) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1000
    11) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1000
    Still, tethering is not quite right....
    12) On laptop, as root, run ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1000.
    Click on link to non-google site and POOF! IT works. Try multiple other sites...They work too!
    The "iphone" speed test page at dslreports.com is showing a whopping 64Kbps one minute, followed by 400Kbps the next. So that seems completely normal for VirginMobile.
    13) Login to HF to post this update. It works!

Looks like the problem is MTU size on the Triumph, though I have no explanation as to why an MTU of 1500 seems to work fine on the Optimus V. Perhaps it is bad rmnet drivers or other trickery by Motorola/Virgin?

Can anyone else out there test and confirm? What is the maximum MTU you guys can use? I bet we can get a custom profile built for Barnacle or wifi-tether if this works out.
    Please forgive what may sound like a complete newbie question, but I am having a problem with getting my Windows 7 64 bit OS to recognize my Triumph as anything other than an Android USB device. I did have the MotoConnect symbol come up (and that was when I was able to get the details on what device was connected to the computer in the form of a serial number, but I am not able to see that now). I was wondering if you might be able to give me the commands I would need to input to get to the triumph as well as where I can find the right driver needed (I downloaded from the Motorola site, but Windows is still not recognizing the phone as a Motorola).

Tari

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TariLuinwe View Post
    Please forgive what may sound like a complete newbie question, but I am having a problem with getting my Windows 7 64 bit OS to recognize my Triumph as anything other than an Android USB device. I did have the MotoConnect symbol come up (and that was when I was able to get the details on what device was connected to the computer in the form of a serial number, but I am not able to see that now). I was wondering if you might be able to give me the commands I would need to input to get to the triumph as well as where I can find the right driver needed (I downloaded from the Motorola site, but Windows is still not recognizing the phone as a Motorola).

Tari
    You may need to use "USBDeview" and remove all devices then when you plug in the MT Win7 loads the right drivers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketpenguin View Post
    OK, I think I got wifi tethering working using barnacle. It isn't pretty, but it works.

6) adb shell to the triumph via usb, and su to root.
    7) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig
    Noticed that rmnet0 MTU was set at 1472. (remember barnacle complains about not being able to set mtu on rmnet0)
    Noticed that wlan0 MTU was set at 1500.
    8) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1500
    Got an error.
    9) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig wlan mtu 1472
    No error, but still no better connecting to other sites. Hmm. What if I set it lower?
    10) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1000
    11) Run /system/xbin/ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1000
    Still, tethering is not quite right....
    12) On laptop, as root, run ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1000.
    Click on link to non-google site and POOF! IT works. Try multiple other sites...They work too!
    The "iphone" speed test page at dslreports.com is showing a whopping 64Kbps one minute, followed by 400Kbps the next. So that seems completely normal for VirginMobile.
    13) Login to HF to post this update. It works!

Looks like the problem is MTU size on the Triumph, though I have no explanation as to why an MTU of 1500 seems to work fine on the Optimus V. Perhaps it is bad rmnet drivers or other trickery by Motorola/Virgin?

Can anyone else out there test and confirm? What is the maximum MTU you guys can use? I bet we can get a custom profile built for Barnacle or wifi-tether if this works out.
    Another noob question, do we access the phone through the dos prompt in windows and issue the commands on the phone?

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, this is a quick guide for wireless tethering for the MT.
    You will have to change the MTU settings on your wireless network on your computer.

FOR WINDOWS 7:

1. Click Start, and in the empty field type “CMD”. To run this command you must run the command prompt as administrator. To do this, after typing CMD press and hold CTRL + SHIFT and then press enter. You will be asked to continue for permission.
    2. In the command prompt, copy and paste (you must right-click to paste in this prompt):

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1472 store=persistent

Then press enter.
    3. If successful, you will see “Ok.”
    4. Then, start up barnacle and connect again and try another page other than Google.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by k3v00 View Post
    Hey guys, this is a quick guide for wireless tethering for the MT.
    You will have to change the MTU settings on your wireless network on your computer.

FOR WINDOWS 7:

1. Click Start, and in the empty field type “CMD”. To run this command you must run the command prompt as administrator. To do this, after typing CMD press and hold CTRL + SHIFT and then press enter. You will be asked to continue for permission.
    2. In the command prompt, copy and paste (you must right-click to paste in this prompt):

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1472 store=persistent

Then press enter.
    3. If successful, you will see “Ok.”
    4. Then, start up barnacle and connect again and try another page other than Google.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, could you do something similar on the phone side?

Or is it just rooting it and then installing barnacle?

Phones
    LG Optimus V
    Blackberry Curve 8530
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beaviskob1 View Post
    You may need to use "USBDeview" and remove all devices then when you plug in the MT Win7 loads the right drivers.
    I have done that, and still my phone is not being recognized by ADB. Any suggestions?

Also, I have Root Explorer on my phone and when I was checking the path to the ifconfig, I was not able to find ifconfig, but instead saw hciconfig. Is that folder the equivalent? If not, where is ifconfig on the phone?

Tari

Phones
    LG Optimus V
    Blackberry Curve 8530
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluddspam View Post
    Thanks, could you do something similar on the phone side?

Or is it just rooting it and then installing barnacle?
    No...I just changed it on my computer and then started Barnacle...however I now have an error... NAT: could not set rmnet0: Invalid argument.

Tari

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is this still rooted phones only?

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast