Thread: Porting Tracfone Number - What Happens to Service Days/Minutes?

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Porting Tracfone Number - What Happens to Service Days/Minutes?

If one has a Tracfone with service days/minutes, and decides to port the Tracfone's phone number to another provider, is there a period of time that the service days/minutes are still active on the Tracfone after the port? Can the Tracfone (after the port) be re-activated with the service days/minutes?

Phones
    iphone, i365 + rubber ducky, LG 290C, EVO
    iphone4
    LG 290C
    Carriers
    AT&T
    |NEXTEL|
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I think you have like 30 days or something to get another number.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    From Tracfone T&C (porting your phone number de-activates the phone)

9. SERVICE END DATE, DUE DATE OR SERVICE DAYS REMAINING

If you do not purchase and add airtime prior to the Service End Date or Due Date or before your Service Days run out your TRACFONE Service will be deactivated on the Service End Date or Due Date and you will lose your TRACFONE phone number, even if you have minutes remaining. To prevent this from occurring, please keep your TRACFONE Service active by purchasing and adding one or more airtime cards before the Service End Date, Due Date or when no Service Days are left. Notwithstanding the Service End Date, Due Date or Service Days left, as may be displayed on your TRACFONE, TracFone Wireless reserves the right to discontinue service and deactivate any TRACFONE handset for which there is no voice, text or Data Services usage for a period of twelve (12) consecutive months. If your Service is deactivated, your TRACFONE can be reactivated by purchasing and adding any TRACFONE Prepaid Wireless Airtime card. However, once reactivated, your TRACFONE will be assigned a new phone number. Airtime which remained at the time of deactivation will remain on your TRACFONE if it is reactivated within 60 days from the deactivation date. However, airtime which remained at the time of deactivation will be lost if your TRACFONE Service remains deactivated longer than 60 days.

So you have 60 days to re-activate the phone with a phone number (new SIM required for GSM phones). Since there are minutes and days on the phone you MAY talk them out of having to re-activate by adding airtime. It may benefit you to call CS and have everything done at once, then and there (maybe request a replacement SIM ahead so there are no built in delays in the procedure).

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Well I e-mailed Tracfone about this issue and here's the response I got:

Thank you for your interest in TracFone Wireless. We are responding to your recent inquiry.

Please be informed that your TracFone will be deactivated if you will be porting out your phone number to another service provider. The used minutes and remaining service days will be removed. However, TracFone Wireless does not charge any fees for the activation or reactivation of your TracFone. If you would like to activate or reactivate your phone, you would need to simply purchase a TracFone Wireless airtime card and redeem it into your phone.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 10:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a TracFone Wireless customer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

TracFone Wireless

So... to not lose a lot of service time/minutes, looks like the safe bet is to activate another Tracfone that I happen to have and transfer it all to that, then do the port, then re-activate the original phone and transfer it all back. Pain in the a$$, but it's too much service time (more than a year) and minutes (over 1500) to take a chance on losing.

Feedback Score
    Something doesn't sound right. What department is that phone number 1-888-251-8164? I believe the minutes will remain intact until you get a new phone number. Minutes do not just evaporate like that, I don't believe, unless you wait more than 60 days. There are other cases where a phone number is removed and then replaced, like if you get a replacement number. I think you should investigate further.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by srt8mro View Post
    So... to not lose a lot of service time/minutes, looks like the safe bet is to activate another Tracfone that I happen to have and transfer it all to that, then do the port, then re-activate the original phone and transfer it all back. Pain in the a$$, but it's too much service time (more than a year) and minutes (over 1500) to take a chance on losing.
    I wouldn't advise that. Once you transfer the airtime to another fone the first fone is deactivated and you cannot port out a number from a non-active fone.

That response trac sent you is wrong OR trac has been choosing not to enforce the "The used minutes and remaining service days will be removed" part.

EDIT: Hey I forgot....I wanted to give you a shout-out for spelling "lose" correctly!! I must have seen it misspelled as "loose" 400 times the last few days around these forums...........
    Last edited by tracnet; 07-19-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Click here to find out how to buy discounted PagePlus Refills from a Howardforums approved advertiser!

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    What you are doing is the same thing as calling and asking for a new phone number, only your putting the old number onto some other phone. When you change phone numbers you do not have to add airtime to re-activate with the new number nor do you lose the airtime on the phone.

The CSR you spoke with is wrong, call again until you reach a competent CSR.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    You are definitely throwing yourself into the gears of the CS network.

There are those who bargain their way into lots of airtime and minutes - which TF encourages. Then, if you want to port it over, the Customer disService system takes over. It's like trying to get the IRS to give you a definitive answer - which they are on record of being incapable of doing. TF is the same.

Call the Miami number and hopefully you will actually get them - they have been a good resource. It takes code input to get the transfer into the new phone, and if you change it later, the same process all over again. Getting a CS rep who is knowledgeable enough to do that on the first call each time - without routing you thru the unecessary "Ship you a SIM" sidetrack will be problematic.

The major differences in TF phone service and all the others is TF phones are chainganged to the IMEI and SIM - it takes programming codes to even port one to another - and CS is NOT customer "friendly" in recognizing the actual problem and giving you a first call solution. It's NOT like a plan phone, despite some who defend it. There's no TF phone shop near the mall, no support except long distance (and you very well could get the Phillipines or Gautemala,) and carrying large amounts of time on them is really a risk because it's so difficult to port or recover in a loss.

It's the downside of TF, treat it like a pay as you go disposable, and you get great service. Keep treating it like a plan phone, and your expectations won't be met by reality.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    ....... It takes code input to get the transfer into the new phone, and if you change it later, the same process all over again. Getting a CS rep who is knowledgeable enough to do that on the first call each time - without routing you thru the unecessary "Ship you a SIM" sidetrack will be problematic.
    That is NOT always true. Many and possibly even most times the airtime and number transfer is done OTA, not by code entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    The major differences in TF phone service and all the others is TF phones are chainganged to the IMEI and SIM - it takes programming codes to even port one to another - and CS is NOT customer "friendly" in recognizing the actual problem and giving you a first call solution. It's NOT like a plan phone, despite some who defend it. There's no TF phone shop near the mall, no support except long distance (and you very well could get the Phillipines or Gautemala,) and carrying large amounts of time on them is really a risk because it's so difficult to port or recover in a loss.

It's the downside of TF, treat it like a pay as you go disposable, and you get great service. Keep treating it like a plan phone, and your expectations won't be met by reality.
    It seems many of your replies on this forum are thorough. However, they are also a bit overboard. And not to mention somewhat inaccurate...........lets just keep it real eh? Drawing conclusions of the processes and workings of trac/n10 from a limited experience with trac/n10 and then presenting it here as if it is FACT is nothing but a dis-service to this forum.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    OK - I just got off the phone with Tracfone's "Email Response Team" - that's what you get when you call 1-888-251-8164. Although I could barely understand the lady I was speaking to, I was able to decipher the following. I can port my number to another service provider, which deactivates the Tracfone. The Tracfone can only be reactivated with the purchase of any airtime card. The service time and minutes that were on the phone will roll over upon reactivation - for a period of 60 days from the date that the phone was deactivated.

I told her about the email message that I got, but she just repeated what she told me above.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You will still need a new SIM. They are still pulling that need to add airtime to re-activate scam. The phone already has airtime, both minutes and days. To get around adding airtime you would have to ask up front and if the CSR said Yes, then hang up and call again till hopefully someone said no.