Phones
    Droid 2
    Huawei Ascend (Cricket) Running Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread
    enV Touch
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

CM7 2.3.4 Gingerbread On Huawei Ascend

I CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE DUe TO NOT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS. IF YOU DO MANAGE TO BRICK YOUR PHONE, PLEASE EMAIL US HERE TO HELP YOU UNBRICK IT. THIS TUTORIAL WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

First and foremost, make sure you back up your contacts to your Google account.

Files you need to download:

*z4Root

*ROM Manager (Includes ClockworkMod Recovery)

*CM7-Ascend-05212011-signed

*cm7_gapps

Download files, then place them all on your sd card. Then place card in your phone.

Locate and install z4Root apk found on sd card. Open it after install, then select permanent root. Let your device reboot.

Install and run ROM Manager. Select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Then select Huawei Ascend. You will receive a confirmation notice.

IMPORTANT!!!

Select Backup Current ROM (do NOT skip this step!) Device will restart and backup. After it has restarted, go back into ROM Manager and select Reboot into Recovery. Device will boot into the Clockworkmod Recovery mode.

Select and click yes (using trackball):

wipe data/ factory reset

wipe cache

Go to advanced, then select wipe dalvik cache

Go to mounts and storage, format: boot, data, system, cache (only these!)

Go back to main screen.

Select install zip from sdcard, then choose zip from sdcard

Now select CM7-Ascend-05212011-signed.zip (located where you downloaded to on your sd card). Then install cm7_gapps.zip, now go to advanced, then select fix permissions. Reboot, setup your newly installed 2.3.4 on your Ascend!

Enjoy!

Phones
    Nextel i733
    Nextel i730
    T-Mobile Sidekick 2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have tried this method along with countless other methods of trying to install CM7 to my metro pcs ascend...i've tried almost every "build"..."signed zip" whatever you can imagine...I've followed every tut to the T...NOTHING....either it boots up to freeze up and or it just don't work and i'm reverted back to my saved 2.2 rom. I need to know why i can't install any of these but i seem to see people on the forums with the same phone and running gingerbread...wtf am i doing wrong?

Phones
    Nextel i733
    Nextel i730
    T-Mobile Sidekick 2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    After successfully bricking and then un-bricking my phone...I have tried this method yet once again and it all it does is seem to freeze up my phone at an adroid load screen. I don't know how people are using this to install CM7 but i can tell you right now with certainty that this NOT working what so ever. If someone could point me into the direction of installing CM7 to a metro pcs huawei ascend with the stock 2.1 rom then by all means please send me another "tut" Because this one along with the rest have nothing but bricked my phone...I've been using this site since 2004...I'm by no means "new" to all this but i can't fathom how following these directions are supposed to work when all it does is indeed brick/freeze my phone.

Phones
    Droid 2
    enV Touch
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    This is for Cricket only! I must have missed putting that in my tut, as it will not allow me to edit my post. I am running this on my Ascend using Cricket with no problem. Give me a few and I will put a tut on for Metro PCS. Sorry for any grief this has caused you. If you bricked your phone, message me and I will give you the stock ROM to unbrick with. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly......

I can actually upgrade my old janky Ascend to a more current OS??! THANK JEEBUS!! I've been trying to figure out how to update my system and it always said "No update available". Grrr.
    Thank you so much!

Phones
    Droid 2
    enV Touch
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I also offer services for flashing the Huawei Ascend to Cricket, MetroPCS, and yes, even Verizon. I also unbrick, root, and install paid APK's on it as well. I offer these and computer repair & web design for low pricing. Message me for details. I've been gone for a bit, but now I'm back, should I post a tut on flashing to MetroPCS now?

Feedback Score
    To OP do you have a fully compatible CM7 for the Motorola Triumph? With full easy instructions to install the new ROM.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    OK, so I did everything exactly as described, and it worked perfectly. Then, my phone randomly shut down and all I can get it to load up is the white Huawei screen, Name:  IMG_20111025_023520.jpg
Views: 20674
Size:  235.4 KB, and the red screen that replaced the Cricket boot screen, Name:  IMG_20111025_023525.jpg
Views: 20412
Size:  384.9 KB. After that, all I see is a black screen.

And if I try to reset it by pushing the vol, end, and pwr buttons, I get a screen that says,
    "Firmware update
    Step 1/2
    UNPACKING
    (status bar)
    (yellow triangle sign with "!" in it)
    update failed"
    And the send, menu, back, and end buttons all flash.

HELP!!!!

Im 2k miles from home, and am only here for a few more days. I would love to have my phone either restored to stock, or running 2.3.4, either one works.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Stenberg; 10-25-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Add'tl info

Phones
    Nokia N9
    Samsung Galaxy Light
    Nokia 521
    Carrier
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am unfamiliar with this phone, however a few thoughts.....

Generally you boot and the recovery is trying to do a firmware update, there is an .img file in root directory of the sd card that it is trying to load. Two things here......

1st - it appears that you are booting into the bootloader rather than recovery. It looks like booting into recovery for the Ascend is: Send Call + Volume Up. If that works and you go into recovery, find your nandroid backup that you made, it is usually an option like restore and backups and have it do that.

2nd - If that doesn''t work I think I would look at what was in the root folder of the sd card, find the .img, rename it xxxxxx.img.old and try rebooting to see it will boot past that in recovery.

There is a post at AndroidForums on restoring the Ascend. The first post is for Metro, The second is for Cricket. http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-...end-stock.html

Post back and let me know how you get on with this.

Feedback Score
    Ok finally got it. Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    ok so ive been trying to flash my ascend to CM7 2.3.4 Gingerbread and evrytime i get an installation aborted error message and if i try to boot up like that i get stuck on the huawei logo and it dont do nothing else from there ive followed your instructions step by step and it still wont do it am i doing anything wrong or is there something wrong with my phone that i wont let me do it? its cricket

Feedback Score
    I'm assuming you've solved your problem by now. The links in the OP are old, and that CM7 version sometimes needed multiple boots to get up and running. It's much improved these days. Use these files instead...

CM7.2 0913 with 710 OC kernel
    gapps 0613

That CM7 is for the lazy Ascend, so it should work on all of them, except the rare super-lazy Ascend. The lazies will only OC to 710, while the regular ones will OC up to 748. If you want to try the higher OC ROM, use this CM7.2 0912 with 748 OC kernel.

If it boots, fine. But if it doesn't, and after doing a battery pull once or twice it still won't boot, flash with the 710 OC version.

If you're on MetroPCS, you'll also need to flash the MetroPCS mms fix with CWM, but only after you've booting into your new ROM at least once.

Feedback Score

i bricked my phone

when i turn on my phone.. it just stays on the white huawei welcome screen... can u help me get past this????

Feedback Score
    can u email me with a solution to my problem... juanp53210@yahoo.com

Feedback Score
    So, I'm back. After the initial difficulties, I was running CM7 without any problems. Then my phone fell out of my pocket, and I had to get a new one. I want to re-install CM7, either the older one, or the newer one posted by Scur above. The problem Im having now is that neither of the newer ones nor the old one is booting past the Ascend screen.

When I boot into recovery in CWM and am formatting everything, it all goes fine except I noticed this message when I wipe data/ factory reset:
    E: format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Im fairly certain this wasn't there before, but I can't remember for sure. I even downloaded the flash to stock package from http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-...end-stock.html and I still cant load any aftermarket ROM.

At this point I feel like I'm ... Ive been trying for almost a week solid, and can't think of anything else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast