Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Can I find out if my employer is tracking me on my company owned ATT iPhone?

As on the road service technicians we are curious if our employer is tracking us through our newly issued company iphones. One would think that the employer would notify us if they have installed and are using tracking capabilities, but we are not convinced they have been upfront about it.

Does anyone know if i can confirm whether or not I am being tracked without having to ask my employer, perhaps by finding a tracking app on the phone itself?

Settings....location services....on.... shows camera, compass, maps, safari as "allowed" by me.............

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If it is a company owned device, your employer is allowed to track the device. Your employer could have installed an application to track the device. If you were to reset the device completely, it would delete installed applications but might create more issues for you and your employer.

For instance, with the iPhone there is an application called "Find my iPhone" where the device can be tracked from a computer.

To take it a step further, semi-trucks and trains have tracking devices for obvious reasons and it is perfectly legal to do so.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Find My iPhone service requires that an account be set up under Mail, Contacts, Calendars on the phone. Other applications such as Latitude or Waze reguire active participation of the phone user. Since it is your employer's phone, you have to live with the conditions surrounding its use if you want to continue working for that employer. Tracking by GPS chip in the phone is not failsafe since the phone could be turned off, location-based service could be deactivated or the GPS signals to the phone could be blocked by barriers. It would be more effective to track vehicles.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Have you thought that maybe they wanted this for your safety? You can turn location services off which would only release your location to 911. A lot of apps rely on location services to function. During work time when they are paying you they should know where you are. But in off time not and they probably dont care anyway. They are probably more concerned where there $$$ iphone is.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Feedback Score
    My original question is simply stated. It is not a question regarding an employer's right to track or reason to track or my conditions of employment. I and my co-workers simply want to know if we can somehow detect on an ATT plan issued iphone with certainty whether or not the employer is using a tracking device on our phones by somehow searching the phone and/or searching the hidden areas of the phone.

Another question now brought to light is if there is a tracking or "hidden" tracking app installed and in use by the employer would turning off "Location Services" under "Settings" necessarily and with certainty disable the employers ability to track?

Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    hidden tracking devices would require your phone to be jailbroken.

Feedback Score
    Negative I track 30 iPhone with xora no installed apps nonsense read up I can pinpoint exactly where my reps are

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Also your employer should have told you or it be placed in your employees handbook that company phones are tracked during business hours

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Tracking can also be done network-side (via the AT&T FamilyMap feature) without doing anything on the phone whatsoever. So there's no way to tell by looking at your phone whether you're being tracked or not, unless you also have access to the account features.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie doggie View Post
    My original question is simply stated. It is not a question regarding an employer's right to track or reason to track or my conditions of employment.
    When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter whether or not the phone is being tracked by your employer. There is absolutely nothing you can or should do about it. Just assume it is tracked and don't do anything you are not supposed to. No need to debate it further.

Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by codekill View Post
    Negative I track 30 iPhone with xora no installed apps nonsense read up I can pinpoint exactly where my reps are

If your trying to say you use xora to track people and dont have to install any apps then.....

http://www.xora.com/ss/solutions/xor...-gp-timetrack/

Getting Started Is An Easy Three-Step Process
    1.Select devices for your mobile employees from those supported by your wireless carrier
    2.Download the Xora mobile app to each device to begin transmitting location, time and job information
    3.Log into the Xora secure cloud-based management application to configure the mobile app, set up alerts and access or schedule delivery of reports

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter whether or not the phone is being tracked by your employer. There is absolutely nothing you can or should do about it. Just assume it is tracked and don't do anything you are not supposed to. No need to debate it further.
    Once again, off topic. I am looking for the answers to my specific questions not your opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Tracking can also be done network-side (via the AT&T FamilyMap feature) without doing anything on the phone whatsoever. So there's no way to tell by looking at your phone whether you're being tracked or not, unless you also have access to the account features.
    Thank you XFF for your reply and the information.

Do you know (or does anyone else know) whether or not the AT&T FamilyMap or other "network-side" tracking capabilities can be disabled by turning off the "Location Services" feature on the phone?
    Last edited by doggie doggie; 07-23-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added question

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Family Map is only for consumer accounts. The owner of the account can choose to notifiy the phone user either every time the phone can be located or periodically, every two months. If you are that concerened about tracking by phone, keep your phone turned off and see if your employer makes a comment about not knowing where you were. When you use employer supplied equipment, there is no expectation of privacy. They can see your call records. That should be of more concern than them having a general idea of where you are.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie doggie View Post
    Once again, off topic. I am looking for the answers to my specific questions not your opinion.
    And yet, my advice is not an opinion. Sorry you disagree with it, but oh well, advice is free and you do not have to take it, pay anything for it or even agree with it. Have a good day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast