Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG900g Frustration

Feedback Score

LG900g Frustration

I want to get the most out of this phone but it's frustrating me. First, I got the Wal-Mart deal but the phone won't recognize my SD card. No way, no how. I'm past the return period at Wal-Mart so I may have to chalk that up, but it's really annoying. Question #1 is, when buying a new Micro SD card, is any brand OK? Does it have to be Micro SD or is Micro SDHC compatible? Do I have to stick to the 4 GB maximum?

Second question: I'm having problems downloading apps. I downloaded/installed Opera Mini and Bolt with no issues. I tried a couple of games and other apps, but they were saved to a folder called "Private" which I can't locate anywhere. I managed to save one to a folder I created under My Folder, but when I try to launch it, I get "Invalid descriptor." Also, some apps "downloaded" at 1 kb with no error message or any warning that there was a problem with the download. I've tried downloading with both browsers.

It is very frustrating, but there seem to be a lot of helpful threads here, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. And if anyone has a recommendation for a USB SD card reader that works with older PCs, that would be great too. Thanks.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I tried 2 gig micro SD and 4 & 8 gig micro SDHC in my LG900g and they all worked. It took a long time to access the music from the 8 gig card, but after that it worked OK.

I haven't activated the phone yet, so I haven't tried loading any apps yet.

As long as your PC has a USB slot, any reader should be fine, just get one that is HC compatible.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Peg11,
    It seems like a lot of people who got those memory card bundles at Walmart are having problems getting the card to work. First problem is some folks aren’t pushing them in all the way until they click-in. If you can pull the card straight out it isn’t clicked-in properly. The second problem is the phone doesn’t seem to recognize the card as being inserted, or is inserted but grayed out (inaccessible). The second problem has been fixed by formatting the card in another phone and then reinserting it in the LG900G and then formatting it in the LG900G. It has also been fixed by taking the card and formatting it on a computer then inserting it in the LG900G and formatting it there. If you don’t have another LG phone to format it with find a friend who can format your card via their computer. Until it is properly formatted it won’t let you go any further.

As for downloading apps on this phone, the jar files should be stored by default in the Others folder and launched from there to install the apps. When you install them from the Others folder it will ask where if you want to install the program in Games or Apps, select the appropriate one. If the jar file isn’t in the right folder it may be invisible when you look for it with your phone but can be found when browsing the folders via your computer. If it is in the wrong folder and it is visible this phone doesn’t like to run jar files stored in folders other than the Others folder. What site did you download files from that said they were stored in a folder called Private? That’s the first time I’ve heard anything about storing jar files in a folder called Private. I searched my LG900G and the card via my computer and there is no folder called Private. When you get the “Invalid descriptor” that usually means the program you’re trying to install won’t install on your phone for one reason or another. Some apps work on this phone some don’t and some that should have been modified and uploaded to those app sites for you to download.

As for the really small apps, a lot of the so called apps that are only a few K are web links which are small. They open your native browser to actually go download the program from some web site. Some like the Twitter apps out there just create an icon and all it does is invoke your native browser to go to Twitter's mobile web page. Are you sure it wasn’t a jad file?

Like Mosaic55 said 2,4, and 8 Gig all seem to work, on my phone and some others 8 Gig is accessible but it only shows 4 Gig when you check its memory for some reason.

Hope some of this helps.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If an SD card is undetectable, formatting it will not change that status. If the card could be detected, it will tell you that it needs to be formatted if that is the problem with accessing it.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    efparri, obviously you don't have the LG900G, I do. Sometimes it knows there is a card/or something in the slot but doesn't say format and it doesn't allow you access, therefore not accessible. It shows a grayed out card vs no card when that happens.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    efparri, obviously you don't have the LG900G, I do. Sometimes it knows there is a card/or something in the slot but doesn't say format and it doesn't allow you access, therefore not accessible. It shows a grayed out card vs no card when that happens.
    I agree with BobbyLee 100%. I was just testing the camera on a 900 out and found it couldn't even detect a particular Micro SD card. Reformatted the card on my PC and then, bingo, it worked like a champ.

BTW, the picture quality on the 900 is decent for a cell phone camera.

Feedback Score

Thanks, everyone

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. I feel better. Bobby Lee, my SD card is definitely clicking into place, and it is grayed out when I go to Memory Info. On the negative side, I tried it in another LG900g, and it was still grayed out there. But I'll try to format it on the PC and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion. I googled this for ages and all I came up with was that it was probably a dud. At least you give me some hope.

As for the apps, I was downloading with Bolt and when I clicked Save to..., a folder called Private came up as the default. Of course, now I can't find it. The app I did manage to save in a new folder was indeed a .jad, so that explains the file size. It is the getjar app. I managed to move it to the Others folder, but still get "Invalid descriptor," so I guess it won't work. Not a big deal as long as I know it's an issue with the app and not the phone (or the user!)

Looks like my next step is to get a card reader so I can proceed with trying to format the SD card and browse the folders. Thanks again to all for their help.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    peg11,
    Whoops, I should have been more specific when I said try it in another phone, I didn't mean another LG900G. It seems to be an issue with the LG900G model and Walmart bundled cards. I didn't think you'd have another LG900G around. You should be able to use the access and use the card as soon as you find somewhere to format it other than another LG900G.

Sounds like the Private folder is contained inside the Bolt app, we probably can't access it. When you work with games, apps, jars, and jads on this phone it seems to work better with the native browser in my opinion. GetJar is pretty good but it has a bunch of 'apps' that are nothing more than shortcut icons with a web link.

Instead of a GetJar app you could just browse to their mobile web page (m.getjar.com) in the native browser and bookmark it.

Mosaic55,
    Thank you!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The problem is that the phone does not support high capacity SD cards. Most older card readers do not support them either. Rather than reformat a high capacity SD card to regular capacity, use a regular capacity card in the beginning.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The problem is that the phone does not support high capacity SD cards. Most older card readers do not support them either.

That could explain the issue a lot of the folks, that got the Walmart LG900G bundles, are having.

Rather than reformat a high capacity SD card to regular capacity, use a regular capacity card in the beginning.

Sort of defeats the purpose of getting a free card if they have to buy another lower capacity card.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 07-24-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The problem is that the phone does not support high capacity SD cards. Most older card readers do not support them either. Rather than reformat a high capacity SD card to regular capacity, use a regular capacity card in the beginning.

That is simply not true. The card I had to reformat was a 2 gig micro SD, I did not format it to smaller capacity. A 4 gig micro SDHC full of music is read on the 900 just fine. Earlier I tried an 8gig and it was fine as well.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Did the card have "HC" in its description? High Capacity refers to how the sectors are laid out on the card and not to how much data the card can contain.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Did the card have "HC" in its description? High Capacity refers to how the sectors are laid out on the card and not to how much data the card can contain.
    Yes, that's why I wrote SDHC in caps and bold, because it is 4gig SDHC.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    SDHC cards use FAT32. Regular SD cards use FAT16. When you format the drive you are converting it to FAT16. This reduces the life cyles of the SD drive. If you start with a regular SD, it is already FAT16 and requires no extra steps to make it usable in the phone.

The grayed out image of the card indicates that the card is detectable but not readable. If the card is undetectable, nothing you can do will make it detectable. For example, if the Power On Self Test on a computer does detect the presence of a hard drive, you cannot format it to make it detectable. The BIOS detects the hardware before the drive is read. If that first step does not happen, there is nothing you can do with the drive on that computer. If the drive is not detected, there is no way to enter any settings for cylinders, heads and sectors so that the drive can be formatted.
    Last edited by efparri; 07-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I have had many phones thus have used many sd cards. I have found that the sandisk ones to be the most reliable. The ones that come in the big sandisk packaging. The ones that are just the card with no packaging might be fakes. The sds that are not branded are hit or miss. Some of the pny brands are ok and some are not. Same with kingston. Sandisk in the packaging may be a little more money but have been very reliable

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast