Thread: How did ATT suddenly take over my voicemail (Net10)?

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score

How did ATT suddenly take over my voicemail (Net10)?

Today a friend called me and said he'd not been able to leave a message all week; when he calls the announcement says "customer is not accepting calls at this time". I tried to go to the voicemail via the quickdial, to check my settings, and got the message, "Welcome to ATT voicemai! We need more information..."

At this point, I hung up, didn't listen or try anymore (bad experience with ATT). I called Net10 phone help, got someone overseas, they refused to believe this had happened. Pretty much told me I had either 'manually' dialed ATT voicemail, or had authorized ATT to access or divert my voicemail account. Everything she said must have come from a script - she never deviated from it no matter what I said.

Also, she told me to just dial my own number and set up my voicemail (maybe she thought I had just got the phone and had never done this, even after a year of service). If I dial my own number, I just get a busy signal.

I have gone to the website to get a problem ticket, but as this is the weekend, I'm sure it will be a few days before I hear anything back.

Can anyone tell me what happened, and how to fix it? I know the lack of voicemail has been going on since Tuesday last week (1st time my friend called; other times since then did not show on my unit). How does ATT come into the picture? The Net10 website confirms that the voicemail phone # on my autodial is the correct one for their service.

thanks,
    Kelley

Feedback Score
    Calling the script-readers does no good. They don't have the tools to do anything remotely complicated. That's why they don't even know the subject matter half of the time. There is a better number: 1-800-876-5753. Someone should answer right away. If you get the menu tree, hang up and call again, you have been forwarded to the script-readers. Basically, they just need to reset your voicemail. You might try using a landline to call your phone and get into the voicemail that way by pressing * or # no matter what the announcement says. Maybe you could fix it that way.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    You need to use the quick dial and finish setting up your voicemail via the voice prompts if you want to have voicemail at all. You do know that Net10 uses ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon and others to provide you phone service don't you? You didn't have Net10 voicemail! You obviously have a GSM phone so you had ATT or T-Mobile voicemail. Maybe your existing voicemail just got reset and you had no clue you were on ATT via Net10 to begin with.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 07-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Dragonwerx

What phone do you have, and what is the model number on your SIM card? Or go into the prepaid menu and give us the first six digits of the SIM number? This will indicate your service provider.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone -

The first 6 digits of the SIM card are: 890141. Under the battery, the label says the model is NTLG1500B.

I've listened to the ATT 'welcome' on the voicemail again...if I enter my phone # and press the right responses, I can (maybe) get into it or update the settings. Should I? There was no warning on this, no notification by Net10, etc. I'm wary of just following the prompts, since actions like that get computer users in trouble. I'm also concerned that if I give in without a struggle, I may be slurped back up into the ATT fold..."Well, you 'agreed' to it when you accepted the new mailbox settings. Sorry we didn't tell you about it first, but there's nothing you can do about it now!"

thanks,
    Kelley

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Tracfancier, my apologies! Didn't mean to mangle your handle so badly.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    ...There is a better number: 1-800-876-5753. Someone should answer right away. If you get the menu tree, hang up and call again, you have been forwarded to the script-readers. Basically, they just need to reset your voicemail. You might try using a landline to call your phone and get into the voicemail that way by pressing * or #...

Lisme, who does the number go to? Just a better form of customer service? And do I have to use a landline, or can I use a family member's phone? None of us have landines anymore!

thanks,
    Kelley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonwerx View Post
    The first 6 digits of the SIM card are: 890141. Under the battery, the label says the model is NTLG1500B. thanks,Kelley
    dragonwerx, 890141 is an ATT sim. If that is the only sim you have ever had in the phone, then you have been on ATT all along. There is nothing wrong.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    890141 means you have an ATT phone. Your voicemail was on ATT and you were on the ATT network. If you don't follow the responses you don't have voicemail, you decide. If it had been 890126 it would have meant you were on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    The number goes to a better customer service. The regular CS is a bunch of trainees that, even if they get fully trained, they still can't do much because their computers don't have the menus for that stuff. I guess headquarters thinks that most customers just need simple things done. The good CS phone number started out connecting to an actual office in Miami that had real office people and a good phone connection and people with the authority to fix anything. Then word got out about this magic place and they were swamped, I guess, and set up a separate CS department with real techs, although I think it is now not Miami. The phone connection is lousy like the regular CS, but there is no press this and that. I think the regular CS consults the good CS when they put you on hold sometimes.

There is no way a Net10 is going to transform into an AT&T prepaid phone. The voicemail system has to be handled by somebody and AT&T is handling your calls, so they go there logically. But the underlying contract is with Net10, the handset is customized for Net10, and nothing will change that.

By suggesting a landline, I was just trying to save your minutes. You can call from any phone that will work with press this or that. Sometimes you have to adjust a setting that makes the phone send the touchtones. And if you mess up the VM, it can be reset by CS.

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    For some reason your voicemail box got reset. Have you had the phone a long time? Your SIM number indicates that AT&T is the carrier TF uses for your service, so it's not surprising that you have AT&T voicemail now.

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll update the VM, and if I run into any problems, will call the good CS number. Best regards,
    Kelley

Feedback Score

i need help setting up voicemail on Net10

i have gone through the the steps.. calling my own number (didn't work busy signal then hangs up) i've tried pressing #1 to call voicemail. (it says it's AT&T). Calling from a landline and waiting for it to say the person you have called has a voicemail that is not set up but, it just says the person is not answering the phone. so i tried turning the phone off and all that does is gives me a busy signal. I NEED HELP! i tried calling the better cs #. and all i get is the tree. and i really need to finally get my vm set up.....

Feedback Score
    You should ask Net10 to re-set your VM. Then try again. Sometimes AT&T doesn't get the message that a new account has happened, and the VM doesn't get made ready. AT&T handles the VM system, but Net10 does the re-setting when you ask.