Thread: Virgin Mobile at-home tower?

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile at-home tower?

Some carriers allow you to buy an item and plug in to your home router that acts as an extension to the network in case you're in an area that doesn't have good service. As somebody who is house-hunting yet anti-land line, this is kind of a critical area for me as I want to make sure my cell phone works wherever I end up living.

That said, is there a device for Virgin Mobile I can get that plugs into my router to enable me to have better at-home service if I'm in a poor signal area?
    Every man dies, but not every man really lives...

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has a femtocel but it is only for sprint phones and not mvno s. I have heard that virgin mobile Customers on the fringes that have a femtocell nearby the phone locks to that signal instead of the cellular signal and doesnt let the calls go through. T mobile prepaid lets you use uma or wifi calling but charges minutes like you were using a tower. There are several apps on androd and iphone that use voip. This might be an option esp if you will habe good wifi. Att works if a contract customer gets the device and then registers your phone as an approved user. And let you use it at your house.

Another service is ooma this plugs into your modem it is cheap and works well. If you have that account there is an app for both android and ios that lets you make calls over 3g and wifi. There are a lot of options.
    Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    yes, sprint is purely pcs. you can get ones for a small area or for the entire house.

edit: oops, didn't see you were talking about voip solutions. perhaps you can figure something out with sipdroid and google voice, and have people call your gv number
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    If you have a home router, why not just use Wifi? Much faster. For phone service use GrooveIP on Wifi, excellent call quality.

Feedback Score
    i am in the same boat as OP

grooveip + GV would work but you would be forced to use a GV number. is there any way i an use my original number? i am not looking to make free calls/texts, i just want to have service in my house.

one other option i can think of is to possibly port the original number to GV, but what would happen with my VM service? if i am in a place with no wifi/3G but there is VM service and i want to make a call, will it work?

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    With GrooveIP you can make a call with your default dialpad (VM number), or through the GrooveIP dialpad. If a call comes into your GV# it will go to GrooveIP, if a call comes to your cell# it will ring your cell. You can manually switch your GV forwarding from GrooveIP (Google Talk) to your cell at anytime. I give my cell# to 2 or 3 family members, they can't call me when I'm at home since I get no 3G service. I call them from home over Wifi (GrooveIP). I give everyone else my GV#. If I don't answer I get an email within a minute.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well this is a bit of a disappointment.... Knowing this same phone I have is on t mobile and supports uma is enticing to switch back since that feature alone guarantees me service wherever I move to..... Does this groove ip work like uma in the same manner to my real number? I have specific uses for google voice and this would not be one of them.....

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    GrooveIP works just like making a call from your PC on GV through the Google Chat dialpad. I don't know what uma is (other than Thurman), so I can't answer that. GrooveIP calls work fine on 3G also as long as it's a decent connection (which isn't always the case with VM).

Feedback Score
    Sorry, Virgin Mobile does not make anything like this at this time.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Groove doesn't work like UMA. You use your Google Voice number, not your phone's number.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    UMA is a T-Mobile service where you can utilize wifi to make and receive calls from your T-Mobile number. That way if you live in an area with poor signal, yet you have a wireless router, you can connect to it accordingly and it makes your router act like an additional range extender, similar to the Verizon thing except without the ridiculous ~200$ price tag since you're utilizing existing hardware you presumably already own (home router).

GrooveIP sounds great, but it sounds like a mess, as it uses Google Voice. I have a Google Voice number... I want to utilize my CELL number, not Google Voice. GV is used for my side business, so I want to keep that separate.

It seems as if it costs 20 dollars to port in my cell number to Google Voice. I wonder if that would do the trick?

I don't know. Part of me keeps thinking I should cut my losses, return this phone to BestBuy, and drop my VM service and look around. It's just so hard to find a talk/text/data package without a contract that doesn't bust holes in your wallet. VM's 35 dollar plan was perfect...

Feedback Score
    this is an answer i got from reddit regarding if i would port my number to GV:

"That is a very good question. Generally, Virgin will issue you a new number if your old is warped out, and you can add said number to GV, at which point if they call your GV number it will route it (with Caller ID intact, should you elect) to your cell, whether data is present or not. All you need is a valid voice signal."

i don't understand it entirely, but i think it may work

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    UMA is a T-Mobile service where you can utilize wifi to make and receive calls from your T-Mobile number. That way if you live in an area with poor signal, yet you have a wireless router, you can connect to it accordingly and it makes your router act like an additional range extender, similar to the Verizon thing except without the ridiculous ~200$ price tag since you're utilizing existing hardware you presumably already own (home router).

GrooveIP sounds great, but it sounds like a mess, as it uses Google Voice. I have a Google Voice number... I want to utilize my CELL number, not Google Voice. GV is used for my side business, so I want to keep that separate.

It seems as if it costs 20 dollars to port in my cell number to Google Voice. I wonder if that would do the trick?

I don't know. Part of me keeps thinking I should cut my losses, return this phone to BestBuy, and drop my VM service and look around. It's just so hard to find a talk/text/data package without a contract that doesn't bust holes in your wallet. VM's 35 dollar plan was perfect...
    Get another google account and associated google voice number.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ehh, I pulled the plug. I was using the phone in some larger and highly populated areas today (which were selected as solid green on VM's coverage map) and I was having a heckuva time keeping a signal. I ended up calling VM to discuss with them returning my phone and they couldn't understand me and said I kept breaking up.

I hung up, went home, called T-Mobile through my Google Voice # on the computer, ordered the Optimus T, and I've arranged for the return of my Optimus V to VM.

Thanks for the help guys, but I'm house hunting right now, and I may end up in an area without VM coverage, or even T-Mobile coverage, but having the calling over wifi option (T-Mo) is absolutely huge to me. That said, that's the direction I'm going.

Keep it real.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Another thing about the uma on wifi is that it will work anywhere there is wifi. That means if you are in London and you have wifi you can make calls to the u s and the call will go from the tmo server to tmo switches and will ring a u s number as if it were a domestic call. Again you have to have a decent wifi speed for it to work. I used mine at a cafe in the Bahamas and it worked fine. Couldn't afford intl roaming. The uma in otherwords will give you access all over the world.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums