Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide on flashing your iPhone 4 (CDMA) to metroPCS

Phones
    iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, Galaxy S 3, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4
    Black iPhone 5 16GB Page Plus
    Titanium Samsung Galaxy Note II T-Mobile
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Page View Post
    Every CDMA device (Including your phone) has a unique identification/serial number, ESN which stands for Electronic Serial Number. That number has to be added to a cell phone company's database (metroPCS in your case) which then identifies your device using that serial number. Now once that number is added to the database of a cell phone company, even if you burn your phone, have it run over by train or thrown under deep sea, your serial number is always on the cellphone company's database. So, no you don't have to re-add your ESN because of the restore. Anyhow, the data that is stored in your phone, the PRLs, your MDN, MIN etc MIGHT get erased because of the restore, so you might have to repeat the process. But you don't have to add the ESN again to the inventory. I hope that helps.
    Yeah, perfect explanation.

Another thing to keep in mind, if restoring your device reinstalls Verizon's (or Sprint's if you have a Sprint iPhone) PRL, you will need to have a dumby MetroPCS phone handy as you will need to update the PRL and profile from MetroPCS over the air and MetroPCS won't let you do that over *228 if the phone's ESN is already activated on an account.

Basically what you'll have to do is activate the dumbyphone on your account and then reactivate the iPhone on your account so it can both update the PRL and the profile settings (with your number and everything).

This is something that happened to me before and I had to buy a $20 MetroPCS phone to get it back working. Not a big deal though, you can always head down to a MetroPCS store and they can fix that for you as well.

Another way to fix it is if you have access to your online account, where you can just input the ESN there and do everything automatically.

Most of the time though, I found restoring iOS does not reinstall the PRL and keeps your original PRL and profile settings, which is great!

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only thing I haven't been able to get working honestly is MMS, they have a carrier bundle available for Cricket which has MMS working. I've tried downloading it and changing the values (like APN and username) but it never worked for me.

Hoping someone can come up with a solution or create an IPCC for MetroPCS. It's the last thing I need to get it fully working, it's not a big deal though as I can always iMessage

Carrier
    Metro Pcs
    Feedback Score
    I'm on Prl 3027 and still have no internet ? any thoughts ?

Feedback Score
    Is your Internet working?

I walked into a bar and lost my iPhone last Tuesday. Ordered new one off of eBay, but this new phone's ESN starts with the number 9, so it can not be added to Metro. Giving you all a heads up. If you are buying a phone with ESN starting with 9 it CAN NOT be added to the Database for some reason. I don't know why though.

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsairu View Post
    I'm on Prl 3027 and still have no internet ? any thoughts ?
    You still need to use DFS to set your username and password for EVDO which cost a one-time $100 fee.
    Verizon iPhone 5 32GB black unlocked
    PagePlus iPhone 5 16GB black unlocked
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Titanium
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB Titanium (2nd)
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 white (cracked)
    AT&T iPhone 4S 16GB white (cracked)
    PagePlus iPhone 4 16GB
    MetroPCS iPhone 4 16GB (cracked, non-usable)
    AT&T iPad 3 16GB LTE (somewhere in the house)
    iPad mini 32GB white
    iPod touch 5 32GB blue
    iPod touch 4 8GB white (missing display, non-usable)
    Blackberry Bold 9700 AT&T

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I got it working, it works pretty good, I get speeds ranging between 500kbps to 1.5Mbps, which is not bad considering that's the same speeds I get on my friend's Sprint iPhone 4. It's nothing compared to AT&T though which gets upwards of 5-6Mbps.

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Page View Post
    Is your Internet working?

I walked into a bar and lost my iPhone last Tuesday. Ordered new one off of eBay, but this new phone's ESN starts with the number 9, so it can not be added to Metro. Giving you all a heads up. If you are buying a phone with ESN starting with 9 it CAN NOT be added to the Database for some reason. I don't know why though.
    Maybe you haven't converted the MEID to ESN yet?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieandgirls View Post
    I have an iphone 4 and want to get it flashed to metro pcs. Can someone please help me or send me in the right direction?
    You don't need to place any files anymore. No need to jailbreak either (disadvantage too since if you jailbreak its tethered for now in iOS 5)

Skip all the steps

Just enable Voice Roaming in Settings > General > Network

Then initiate the Over The Air (OTA) metroPCS PRL Update (dial *22804 and choose option 5, Update Roaming Lists)

It should update the PRL to use metroPCS towers now, to confirm just dial *228 and see if you get metroPCS

Now you just need to get the MEID (not ESN, the ESN is the DEC value, to convert use a ESN Converter online, just google it) added into the metroPCS inventory. eBay is your best bet, it will cost you around $40-$50. You will need your security code for your account, usually the birthdate of the account holder

After that, you can activate the iPhone like any other metroPCS device. Just dial *228 and say switch phones if you have an existing account or set up one by following the instructions. You'll also need your security code for this process.

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny C View Post
    This should be a sticky..
    I would love it to be! I can't edit my first post anymore though so I can't put an *UPDATE* that I've already gotten internet working unless someone knows a way

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bacguy808 View Post
    You don't need to place any files anymore. No need to jailbreak either (disadvantage too since if you jailbreak its tethered for now in iOS 5)

Skip all the steps

Just enable Voice Roaming in Settings > General > Network

Then initiate the Over The Air (OTA) metroPCS PRL Update (dial *22804 and choose option 5, Update Roaming Lists)

It should update the PRL to use metroPCS towers now, to confirm just dial *228 and see if you get metroPCS

Now you just need to get the MEID (not ESN, the ESN is the DEC value, to convert use a ESN Converter online, just google it) added into the metroPCS inventory. eBay is your best bet, it will cost you around $40-$50. You will need your security code for your account, usually the birthdate of the account holder

After that, you can activate the iPhone like any other metroPCS device. Just dial *228 and say switch phones if you have an existing account or set up one by following the instructions. You'll also need your security code for this process.
    Actually it's best if you jailbreak at this moment, as you can get the latest roaming list (3027) on your iPhone which will get you set up for both DFS (it will let the iPhone see the 3G networks) and you will get better reception with a more updated PRL. The PRL MetroPCS provides for flashed and Non-EVDO capable phones (PRL 2004) is almost four years old.

Feedback Score
    Hi Justin,

First off, thank you for all your efforts here!

Some quick questions...

Does the below mentioned "Simple OTA" method work for all CDMA iphone such as Verizon and Sprint?

The simple method only gives you Talk and Text, no internet, correct?

If I wanted internet/3G, I would need to Jailbreak fist, then buy that DFS software for $100 then follow the additional steps of manually putting in the updated new PRL as well as the 3G roaming you mentioned in your latest posts?

I am just trying to summarize all in one post what one must do now to have a fully functioning iphone with talk, text, internet, and working FaceTime/iMessaging.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by hellojustinr View Post
    **Update May 28, 2012**

First off, there is a new untethered jailbreak out for iOS 5.1.1, if you haven't updated, update NOW! Even if you think you're good at 5.0.1, you might as well update (especially you iPhone 4S users, I did and it helped a lot with my battery life). If you decide to hold out too long, Apple will eventually come out with a new update and stop signing iOS 5.1.1, and since all iDevices are downgrade-able using redsn0w (yes including the iPhone 4S), everything is reversible.

Now I would like to provide some updates on my progress

The simplified method of getting talk and text to work on MetroPCS still works, you just get your ESN added to the MetroPCS database (convert your MEID to ESN beforehand!) either locally or online, dial *22804 and press 5 to update Roaming Lists (it will say "Service Update Complete"), then dial *228 to program the phone like any other basic flashed phone (follow the instructions), before you know it, talk and text will be working just like any other phone. The method isn't really new and is by far the easiest.

Now for those who don't have OTA programming I have something new for you guys, as well as you guys with Sprint iPhones too!. This is all thanks to a guy named rich hathaway, he's been making great progress in the scene! We can now manually program the Mobile Device Number and Mobile Identification Number, and that's a great big deal for people who don't have OTA from MetroPCS! To get the whole thing working, you will have to first follow the PRL flashing guide coming up next

--Flashing PRL through the filesystem--
    The one thing I was NEVER EVER able to get working, was flashing the PRL through the filesystem, I tried SOOOO many times it would never work for me, and guides for a Verizon iPhone on iOS 5 never existed (you had to follow the Sprint one) so I got even more confused, well I now finally got it working, and even those who just plan on using talk and text, should flash the latest MetroPCS PRL through the filesystem, it will get you that 3G icon up there (which is the actual MetroPCS 3G network) and give you better reception (newer PRLs provide more information on newer towers). Using the latest PRLs (302x) is so much better than the old, basic 2004 PRL MetroPCS usually provides with all flashed phones (as like I said, they treat all flashed phones like dumbyphones)

You will need to be jailbroken to flash a PRL through the filesystem, for iOS 5.1.1 just use Absinthe 2.1 from greenpois0n.

To get your PRL flashed on to the phone, I recommend firsthand restoring the software to a fresh, clean state (if Apple releases a new update within weeks from now, disregard that, DO NOT GO PAST 5.1.1 until an untethered jailbreak is available for that newer version). Jailbreak it with whatever solution.

1. Add the repo v.backspace.jp/repo and install the iOS 5 CommCenter patch, this is what finally got my PRL flash to work! Don't worry it's compatible with iOS 5.1.1 too.

2. Download iFile from Cydia Store, it's Free

3. Download iFunBox (Mac) or iPhoneBrowser (Windows) on your PC, they're free

4. Download the 3029 MetroPCS PRL for your mobile device, it's free, just Google it, it's going to have a filename of 3029.PRL for this step-by-step

5. Now, on iFunBox/iPhoneBrowser, navigate to /System/Library/CarrierBundles and navigate to your corresponding Carrier Bundle folder, which is either Sprint_US.bundle for Sprint iPhone devices or Zeppelin_US.bundle for Verizon iPhone devices

6. Drag the 3029 PRL file into the Carrier Bundle folder

7. Now go on iFile and browse to /System/Library/CarrierBundles onto your Carrier Bundle folder and rename the current existing carrier.prl to carrier.prlbackup, and rename the 3029.PRL file you copied to carrier.prl

8. Now open carrier.plist in the Carrier Bundle folder with Property List Viewer and enable PRLPushFlag

9. Restart the device, it will say "Searching..." but will always end up with "No Service" that's perfectly normal, now just go back into your Carrier Bundle folder and disable PRLPushFlag and restart. Done!

To confirm you've installed the PRL, go into Settings > General > About and click on the Carrier to reveal the PRL version

--Manual programming for areas with no OTA coverage or Sprint iPhone devices--
    This method does two things, allow you to program the MDN and MIN yourself, and set the SPC code for Sprint iPhone devices to "000000" which will allow Sprint iPhone devices to update over OTA properly now

Now, picking up where the manual PRL flash left off, go back to Cydia, and add the cydia.easyflashstudio.com repo

Download the Cricket Carrier Bundle for your iPhone, it will allow you to access a hidden menu along with setting the SPC code to 000000 for Sprint iPhone devices

Restart the device and if the carrier bundle installed properly, you should have a cricKet icon on your top left corner, don't worry that's changeable. Now go into Phone, and dial ##626 (##NAM) and enter 000000 when it asks for the SPC code and your Mobile Device Number (MDN, your personal number) and Mobile Identification Number (MIN, you can get this from MetroPCS, tell them you're manually programming your flashed phone).

Done! To change the cricKet logo to MetroPCS, you will have to go into your Carrier Bundle folder and change the Carrier Name to MetroPCS

--Proper FaceTime and iMessage functionality with your personal phone number--
    Another thing I've had problems with on having my iPhone on MetroPCS getting my personal phone number to activate through it, I've always had to use my email for it, it's not a big problem as I'm not going to get FaceTime calls anyways over data and iMessage won't work over data as well. However for those who just want proper functioning FaceTime and iMessage this is how you do it

To get FaceTime and iMessage functionality to work properly with your number (and not just use your email), you will have to have 1. The International Texting Plan (which I think is an extra $5 for those plans that don't have it) and 2. a jailbreak (which shouldn't be a problem now for any of you at the moment).

To get these functioning properly and activated with your number, you will have to go on Cydia and download iFile, it's Free.

Afterwards in iFile, navigate to /System/Library/CarrierBundles and go in either the Sprint_US.bundle (For Sprint iPhone) or Zeppelin.US.bundle (for Verizon iPhone)

Now open carrier.plist with Property List Viewer and change the PhoneRegistrationGatewayAddress from its original number to +011447537410207. This will allow the phone to register its phone number on the official Apple iMessage and FaceTime servers in UK and will send an international text message, if you don't have an international text messaging plan, the number will text you saying to use TalkText SMS you will need to call 611.

If all goes well, it should say activated on your phone number.
    Last edited by bacguy808; 06-08-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, simple talk and text will work on both Verizon and Sprint iPhones although on Sprint iPhones I believe you will have to be both jailbroken and have the Cricket Carrier Bundle installed, it's in the same repo the CommCenter Patch for iOS 5.x is with which will also be required for custom carrier bundles.

The purpose of the Cricket Carrier Bundle is to set set the SPC of your Sprint iPhone 4 or 4S to 000000 as it is required for OTA programming.

It also enables the ability to set the MIN and MDN manually, through ##624 (NAM) in the Phone Keypad. SPC is 000000

As for the internet and 3G.
    Actually the good thing about DFS is you can skip the whole installing the 3027 PRL through the file system thing as you can just use DFS to flash your preferred PRL (which in this case is of course 3027) and just input the username and password in yourself.

For instructions on what to put in DFS
    This is the video I followed and it worked perfectly for me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4oldGwkHo
    Note though for me the first time it didn't work, apparently I just had to reflash the PRL and input the values again for it to stick that time, and before I knew it internet was working.

Feedback Score
    Hi Justin,

Thanks again.

I was looking at the DFS website and it didn't look to easy to do. I will watch the YouTube video you made the link to and hopefully that's easier.

I think so far I understand everything and the hardest part is how to get the ESN into the Metro PCS directory.

I tried calling the guy's phone that you listed but no anser. I went to his e-bay page and sent him a message but still no reply.

I asked a friend of mine who has a Metro-PCS store and he said that he and corporate can't/not allowed to do it.

Any suggestions on who to use?

Also as I know you don't have Metro PCS, how do you get your ESN into Cricket?

I called a few people on Craigslist advertising their services and they said that ONLY the Verizon 4 can be flashed. NOT the Sprint or the 4S iPhones. Are they full of crap?

Feedback Score

Guide: How to flash iphone 4, 4s cdma verizon & sprint to metropcs or cricket

Hi Justin,

I tried to take all of YOUR work, and put it down all in one place as a way to summarize what needs to be done.

Could you take a look and see if I have things in their proper order? For example, should the ESN be input into the MetroPCS inventory first, before initiating the OTA by dialing *22804? Or can we Enable Voice Roaming and initiate OTA first?

Please let me know what you think, if I missed anything, and if this is sufficient enough for Sprint and Cricket users as well.

Thanks again for ALL of YOUR HARD WORK!

(Sorry it won't let me post links since I am still new to the forum, so I had to spell out all links etc.)

GUIDE: HOW TO FLASH IPHONE 4, 4S CDMA VERIZON & SPRINT TO METROPCS OR CRICKET

Things needed

1. PHONE'S ESN (Must be Converted from the iPhone’s MEID)
    2. ACCOUNT HOLDER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME
    3. METRO PCS PHONE NUMBER
    4. ACCOUNT PASSWORD (This is Usually your date of birth)

EXAMPLE:
    NAME: JOHN HANCOCK
    PASSWORD:12301996
    NUMBER: 650-443-6758
    MEID FORMAT- A000001717789F

SIMPLE OTA WAY (Over the Air) for Talk & Text only.

FIRST
    You want to Jailbreak iPhone upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 and Jailbreak using Absinthe latest applicable version and make sure Cydia is installed.

While you are Jailbroken, you might want to Download: iFile from Cydia Store, it's Free

For Sprint iPhones you will have to be both jailbroken and have the Cricket Carrier Bundle installed, it's in the same repo the CommCenter Patch for iOS 5.x is with which will also be required for custom carrier bundles.

For Sprint users, you need to add the repo v.backspace DOT jp/repo and install the iOS 5 CommCenter patch, this is what finally got my PRL flash to work! Don't worry it's compatible with iOS 5.1.1 too.

(Add the repo v.backspace DOT jp/repo and install the iOS 5 CommCenter patch) OR the repo (cydia.easyflashstudio DOT com repo)

The purpose of the Cricket Carrier Bundle is to set the SPC of your Sprint iPhone 4 or 4S to 000000 as it is required for OTA programming.

It also enables the ability to set the MIN and MDN manually, through ##624 (NAM) in the Phone Keypad. SPC is 000000

SECOND
    Now you just need to get the MEID (not ESN, the ESN is the DEC value). The ESN should be an 18 digit number (there should be no letters). To Convert your MEID to ESN, you can try meidconverter DOT com or Google to find another one. You should write down and have both numbers on hand.

THIRD
    Enable Voice Roaming. Go to Settings > General > Network

FOURTH
    Then initiate the Over The Air (OTA) MetroPCS PRL Update

Dial *22804 and choose option 5, Update Roaming Lists. (It will say "Service Update Complete.”)

It should update the PRL to use MetroPCS towers now.

For Sprint The purpose of the Cricket Carrier Bundle is to set the SPC of your Sprint iPhone 4 or 4S to 000000 as it is required for OTA programming.

It also enables the ability to set the MIN and MDN manually, through ##624 (NAM) in the Phone Keypad. SPC is 000000.

FIFTH
    Now the hard part. Getting your iPhone's ESN added into the MetroPCS inventory or the Cricket inventory.

To have it added manually you have to find someone who is willing to do it. Most corporate stores will do it but they will charge you for it.

eBay is your best bet, it will cost you around $40-$50. You will need your security code for your account, usually the birthdate of the account holder.

Otherwise I would recommend this guy on eBay. (myworld.ebay DOT com/bigbuyer707/?_trksid=p4340.l2559)

He adds ESNs at 3-4PM Pacific Time (6-7PM Eastern Time). His number is 6509213360

SIXTH
    Activate your account. Dial *228 and see if you get MetroPCS.

Program the phone like any other basic flashed phone (follow the instructions), before you know it, talk and text will be working just like any other phone. After you dial *228 on your phone, you can talk to customer service (important!) and have them add them switch the phones for you, if you already had an account with them and it should be done automatically.

You should be able to activate the iPhone like any other MetroPCS device. Just dial *228 and say switch phones if you have an existing account or set up one by following the instructions. You'll also need your security code for this process.

For Internet/3G data
    The easiest although not free, it costs $100, a company called CDMATools cdmatool DOT com has found a method to input various usernames and passwords in just like other smartphones, they're however charging for they're method, locking access for each specific paid phone (through the MEID). To use this method you will have to use their program, DFS flashing tool. It will cost a one-time $100 fee to register your phone on their system, onto which you will have unlimited access to modify your settings (just like you would be able to, with QPST and QXDM).

Actually the good thing about using the CDMAtool- DFS is you can skip the whole manual way of installing the 3027 PRL through the file system thing as you can just use DFS to flash your preferred PRL (which in this case is of course 3027) and just input the username and password in yourself.

For instructions on what to put in DFS
    This is the video I followed and it worked perfectly for me (youtube DOT com/watch?v=yr4oldGwkHo)

Note though for me the first time it didn't work, apparently I just had to reflash the PRL and input the values again for it to stick that time, and before I knew it internet was working.

The most important part is

1. to have the 3029 PRL installed so your phone can actually see the 3G networks, and

2. to put in your credentials to allow your mobile device to connect to metroPCS's 3G network

The most important parts with DFS is

Username
    xxxxxxxxxx AT mymetropcs DOT com which is your number AT mymetropcs dot com

Password
    xxxxxx (6 digit MSL code, which can be obtained by using (whiterabbit DOT org/android) and inputting your MEID)

From here your iPhone should have full functioning talk, text and internet/3G.

Phones
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah that looks just about right, and no you do not need to have your ESN added to the MetroPCS inventory beforehand to use the Update Roaming List option in *22804 (note it is *22804 in my area, in other areas it might be *22805, *22806, 2280x pretty much up till 22809)

And yes, turn on Voice Roaming beforehand so it will be allowed to roam on MetroPCS's network when you dial *2280x

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast